1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Sagem HD-D56 Has ARRIVED!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by kmhtkmhtkmht, Aug 25, 2005.

1. kmhtkmhtkmht

kmhtkmhtkmht

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah!

Finally decided on a TV I like, and just went ahead and bought it!

Will post Piccy's Up Soon! I am gonna take pictures of the whole unpacking process and the final setup!

2. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504
    Congratulations :thumbsup:

Welcome to the DLP club :D

3. kmhtkmhtkmht

kmhtkmhtkmht

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    EEEK!

So far I am just mildly impressed... The TV Picture isn't that great at all - REALLY noisy and the blue on the service menu of Sky show's this demonstrates the noise quite severly...

I'll give it the weekend to hopefully work itself out, I remember reading that someone else was having a poor RF picture too, I am also connecting to Sky via RF...

Any Ideas?

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    Yes. Ditch RF. Of all the possible signal protocols, RF is surely the worst.

Followed by (in order, best last)

Composite video
    then a big improvement to
    S Video
    then a marginal improvement in most cases to
    RGB or Component (Interlaced)
    then a potential further improvement depending on the equipment to
    Component Progressive
    then a notable improvement to
    HDMI

Depending on what your equipment is capable of, choose as high up this list as you can.

5. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504
    Use a RGB scart and switch to RGB output in your video settings (very important). Also set contrast settings to high on sky box. Save and exit.

Make sure you connect to the RGB scart input on your set. It should be scart No. 1

As LV says rf is the worst connection you can use. Its not far off 2 paper cups and a peice of string for a telephone.

:)

6. malso

malso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    let me know how you get on please.........i'll be following this thread very closely, because this DLP is supposed to be excellent! :rolleyes:

dont forget this tv looks awfall in Currys too..........THEY ALL DO!

7. Caimbeul

Caimbeul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    :rotfl: :rotfl: I have even used myself as an airel by plugging my finger into an RF socket before...thats how primative and rubbish it is. :D :D :rotfl: :rotfl:

Note: I accept no responsibilty for peole emulating my past actions.

8. supermackem

supermackem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Tvs still com with rf??? lmao yeah mate ditch the rf asap!!!!!

9. multiply

multiply

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I've also decided to go for this one (after weeks of procrastination and uncertainty - thank you, AVForums!!).

However, I was in Currys today and they said they only do the 45".

Can anyone suggest where I can order one of these - preferably with a good finance scheme and a 3-year warranty....? :lease:

Thanks.

10. kmhtkmhtkmht

kmhtkmhtkmht

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's all to do with the way the house was built, and how the Sky+ double antenna feed stems from my Laundry Room, and is piped through the entire house via RF. Sky Installations owe me a favor anyways so I will get them to extend the RF cables for Sky+ to my lounge and then hopefully it will clear it right up.

I was expecting to really be amazed with Riva and a few other folk loving the set, and the set is literally HUGE. Like Uncomfortably big.

I will connect it to my HTPC and test it with HDTV content.

11. sprattgraham

sprattgraham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
  12. malso

malso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was expecting to really be amazed with Riva and a few other folk loving the set, and the set is literally HUGE. Like Uncomfortably big.

its huge size might grow on you, give yourself time to get used to it

13. kmhtkmhtkmht

kmhtkmhtkmht

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The TV really is growing on me - I am coming to terms with the sheer size and performance via a PC is VERY good. I have yet to try out playing HDTV content on it, but right now I have it connected via VGA as my graphics card has dual VGA Output, but surely if I got a VGA to DVI cable it'd give the same results as VGA?!

So I guess I gotta sort out Sky tommorow and have it connected via RGB, looks average at best via RF.

Overall the set is a good set, GREAT connectivity most importantly!

Any owners want to share their screen settings with me?

14. kmhtkmhtkmht

kmhtkmhtkmht

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ran a barrage of test's through the TV via a Benchmarking DVD, and it failed ALL picture noise tests - this TV is a NOISY beast, you can see speckles moving everywhere!

HDTV though is pretty good via VGA, but the problem is that even setting it at the native resolution of 1280 * 720, bit's of the screen, not a lot, but enough for me to be concerned is still missing.

Movie performance is good but noise is still VERY noticeable - I'll work on it a bit more.

So a little conclusion now, Solid HD content performer, Solid PC content performer, an all around picture noise beast and The Speaker is pretty good (Although My YSP-1 is arriving tommorow!)

15. multiply

multiply

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Great - thanks! I went into Comet in Guildford yesterday and enquired about this set - I was told that they didn't do any HD TVs larger than 42"... despite the fact that the Pedestal Samsung DLP was standing there at the back!! Doesn't give you a lot of confidence to buy such a major thing from them, but looks like I iwill have to swallow my pride...

kmhtkmhtkmht - good thread, I'll be monitoring closely to hear how you resolve the picture noise issues. By the way, is the second 'h' in your name silent?
    ;)

16. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Just out of curiosity, did you demo the set with anything other than HD material before you bought it?

17. kmhtkmhtkmht

kmhtkmhtkmht

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I never had a demo on the set, just relied on the information of AVForums!

Another day of playing with this TV and it is growing on me, haven't really figured out the Noise Situation yet but I know it's the TV Fault as I ran the HQV Benchmarking DVD ( Http://www.hqv.com/benchmark.cfm ) via a DVD connected with the QED Scart Cable and a PC via VGA ( Gonna order a VGA - DVI Cable if I get an answer whether it is the same as a VGA to VGA cable asides from the hed ) and both sources failed the noise test by a long mark, but passed great on the "Jaggies" tests.

P.S. The YSP-1 IS Brilliant! Bought it off a fellow AVForums member who is a local retailer, Next Day Delivery included for 644.70!

18. dunsters

dunsters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Well, I am fairly miserable at the moment:( The TSG engineers seemed to have screwed their diaries at the last moment (funny that) and after arranging to be home all day, no one has turned up - despite getting an assurance yesterday for the thrid time that I would get the engineer 9:00am this morning!:rolleyes: :nono:

I have two problems which are a) the poor quality of the RF picture and b) poor quality of the Sky picture despite getting the most excellent pictures on both with exactly the same cables/systems from the HD-D50:( What was I thinking when I waved goodbye to the HD-D50?:suicide:

Still, DVDs on progressive are stunning (I mean this even after the excellent quality I had before) and with the extra size are even better then the HD-D50. I have just played with the Showcentre to run a HD film on Progressive HD at 720p and (I am in danger of running out of superlatives) I was really very Very impressed!:thumbsup:

I must MUST :nono: get the engineers to sort the TV soonest though, as the missus is not at all happy after all the extra money I had to spend to 'upgrade' the HD-D56 to end up watching the soaps through a haze of interference (rf) and double edged images (sky):oops:

I will update once TSG get their act together - which I now understand is likely next Friday.:confused: :lease:

Cheers:hiya:

19. kmhtkmhtkmht

kmhtkmhtkmht

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Dunsters - I am glad that the poor RF Picture isn't only me!

What else do you think about the set?

So am I right to say that Myself, You and Riva all own the same TV set?!

Riva, can you try connecting Sky Via RF to see whether it's just us two?

20. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    At the risk of repeating what's already been said.......you cannot expect to get a good quality image via an RF feed. On any TV. Especially one which (due to size and nature) reveals absolutely everything wrong with a signal, in glorious detail.

Ditch RF.

21. kmhtkmhtkmht

kmhtkmhtkmht

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your right.

I am temporarily RFed not by choice due to the way the house was built - I will be contacting Sky to drag the 3 Coaxial Cables (2 Feeds and 1 Return) for me. (It's free, they messed up my installation so they owe me)

The TV is pretty cool though.

22. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    :eek:

Ouch! Brave man!

23. malso

malso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i hope you do resolve it too, keep posting in please............but what you post in, i have to say; is a bit worrying :( ............this DLP should be miles better than this!

this tv is supposed to be even better than the SP 50.....``noise on the screen`` :eek: :eek:.......but this could be the R.F feed

24. kmhtkmhtkmht

kmhtkmhtkmht

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Isn't this the same Chipset as the Samsung SP50 7?!

I bought it cause I thought it was a HD2+ Chipset which I hear is the best (well, better than HD4 at least!)

25. Andrew Dade

Andrew Dade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi Guys,
    reading this thread with interest. Im thinking about changing my now 10 year old Pioneer, probably when the Sky service starts, or when my TV finally gives up.

This TV looks fantastic on paper how does it look with an RGB or S Video from a std sky+ box ? How well does the integrated digital tuner work ?

Im looking for something about the same screen size and of course HD... and that works well with standard video.

Is this the best one on the market ? Anyone know where there is one on demo in my area (East Anglia) ?

Many thanks in advance. :)

Andrew

26. Den_Lyon

Den_Lyon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the same problems when I first got my HD-D45, however, I upgraded the scart cables to some nice Profigold Oxipure versions, set the Sky box to output RGB
    and bingo.
    As has been said here a number of times.. RF feed will never improve.
    I also "upgraded" my beautiful - but old- Pioneer Dv717 DVD player to a £99 Pioneer DV-575A multiregion with progressive component out.. another major improvement.
    Really looking forward to stretching the screens legs with Blu-Ray and Sky HD+
    Cheers

Den

27. sprattgraham

sprattgraham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    It Does Not Have An Intergrated Digital Tuner.

28. Andrew Dade

Andrew Dade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    :oops: , you are quite correct !

Sorry about that.

Andrew

29. dunsters

dunsters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    RF no good? :confused: - I had the Sagem HD-D50 prior to the new 56. The picture quality on all feeds was absolutely fine. The RF feeds on all 5 terrrestial channels were 100% OK and BBC, ITV and channel 4 all rivalled the SKY rendition of the same, so you can understand my concern about comments that RF is no good to start with - this is not my experience at all :nono: (The RF doesn't need to improve - it just needs to be dealt with properly!:( I paid a lot of money in the old days to get my old Ariel zeroed in too) ;)

I understand that the extra 6" might highlight the odd cracks in transmission a little more than the 50" but this is not the case here as it is the tuning or lack of good tune-in that is causing the noisy picture proved when I plugged in the spare 100mhz panny CRT which shows the picture perfectly from the same RF feed just as the old D50 used to. There is a problem with this box if it will not pick up what on every other box is an excellent feed and display properly - no matter what the size.:(

SKY image is 'ghosted' too :eek: with duplicate edges to faces, buildings, boxes etc which were never seen on the HD-D50 so again I am certain are a tuning-in issue. :( The TV is however, able to play the DVD progressive brilliantly :thumbsup: and the HD material is as per Comet demos so I know it is capable of something truly wonderful - just not properly set up internally yet for the RF and Sky.:thumbsdow

Now - here's hoping the engineers can wave a magic wand over the problem :lease: as otherwise I will be back to Comet demanding my HD-D50 back and a shed load of money I paid to 'trade' it in! - 3 weeks and still not sorted - I am getting very frustrated.:mad:

kmhtkmhtkmht, Riva and I will probably all have to start a petition going!

Cheers:hiya:

30. kmhtkmhtkmht

kmhtkmhtkmht

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just don't know any alternatives, I am quite happy with the set other than the RF Issues. If I was to return it then I have no alternatives...