My Sagem HD-D56 Has Arrived & I'm Off To A Bad Start

Ruby

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Just received delivery of my new Sagem HD-D56 this morning and things got off to a bad start. When the delivery guy opened up the back of his lorry, I saw that the Sagem's box had come off the pallet and fallen on its side. Not to worry I thought, as long as it worked properly.

Having spent a couple of hours setting it up, I do have a few questions:

1) Everytime I turn the TV on, it goes to BBC1 and there is no sound either. The only way around this that I can find is to switch on the DVD player (which is connected to AV5) and then switch it off again. The channel then goes to AV1 (satellite) and the sound returns. Has anyone else experienced this or is it a fault?

2) When a DVD is playing and my amp is on, the sound seems to be slightly out of sync with the picture. Now I don't really understand the concept of SPDIF, but the problem seems to be rectified if I set the SPDIF source option to AV5 (ie. my DVD player connection). The problem with this is that if I subsequently want to listen to a DVD via the TV's speakers, the sound won't work unless I change the SPDIF source option to OFF. Is this normal for this set?

I'm sure that I'll have further questions later on, but any help with the above would be much appreciated.

I do not have these problems the way I am set up so....:rolleyes:

Turning on the TV will go direct to the last terrestial channel (not always BBC1) and I then need to select Sky+, DVD or PC in rotation to get to my preferred input. (Clunky, I know) If you then turn on a device once the screen is up, like DVD etc, then the picture jumps to this new source. (a feature of a certain pin in the scart cable. (this can be turned off in the system or more drastically by removing a certain pin on the scart cable I understand)

Looking at the manual, sections 6.8-6.10 and 8.2, I can see no reason why you lose sound other than having fixed the 'Smart Vol' to play through your amp - and then it only kicks in - like the picture- once the amp has been turned on.

Ahh!! I see it. :smashin: In section 6.8 Setting the speaker mode, 3rd supplemental on page 12, 'to use your personal audio system (hi-fi system or Home Cinema audio amplifier): Select OFF in the MODE HP INT option. If you do this, the internal and external speakers are disabled' (Where HP means Headphones I assume because I don't know either! :rolleyes: :) )

Try that.:thumbsup:

Cheers :hiya:

Although I've only watched one DVD so far, I've also noticed the odd sudden decrease or increase (like a camera flash effect) in brightness. The brightness increase/decrease only lasts for a fraction of a second each time, but they are annoying. I think I remember somebody else on these forums experiencing a similar problem on the 45 inch Sagem.

Ouch! that doesn't seem right!:thumbsdow I have never seen this even when flipping between channels.

I would put a call into the Sagem help desk (TSG on 0870 4176016) who always have been very helpful if a little bemused by my calls:rolleyes: - but then at 15p/min I would hope so:eek:

Cheers:hiya:

I've also noticed alot of dotiness (is the term for that dot crawl?) in lighter areas of the picture. I didn't notice this when I had the Samsung SP50L7HX. Is this normal for the Sagem?

Samsung does the best job a eliminating Dot crawl. Dot crawl is common among some dlp sets

Ruby said:
Although I've only watched one DVD so far, I've also noticed the odd sudden decrease or increase (like a camera flash effect) in brightness. The brightness increase/decrease only lasts for a fraction of a second each time, but they are annoying. I think I remember somebody else on these forums experiencing a similar problem on the 45 inch Sagem.

I've got the same problem with my HD-D45. Andrew Gorman is coming out next week to have a look at it. He thinks it might have something to do with the power supply to the Lamp. Are you using ECO mode?

Don't call the number listed for Tech Support on a post above, that number is for Sagem 3rd Party service center they can't do anything untill Sagem give them your details for a repair.

For Tech Support call: 0844 441 1299

sprattgraham said:
I've got the same problem with my HD-D45. Andrew Gorman is coming out next week to have a look at it. He thinks it might have something to do with the power supply to the Lamp. Are you using ECO mode?
I am using ECO mode and get this effect approx. once per day on HD-D45

Ruby said:
I've also noticed alot of dotiness (is the term for that dot crawl?) in lighter areas of the picture. I didn't notice this when I had the Samsung SP50L7HX. Is this normal for the Sagem?
switch on the Noise filter on analog channels to "1", the result is perfect.

sprattgraham,
No I'm not using eco mode.

Snap,
Presumably switching on the noise filter on the analogue channels will only solve the problem on the analogue channels. What about DVD and Sky (which are connected via component and RGB respectivaly)?

Ruby said:
Snap,
Presumably switching on the noise filter on the analogue channels will only solve the problem on the analogue channels. What about DVD and Sky (which are connected via component and RGB respectivaly)?
Ruby,
You can apply NR also for each input (except for PC) via connection manager.
But i have no problems with DVD or Digital Cable receiver connected via component or RGB. The NR introduces some loss of details on good quality sources and motion blurr but it works perfectly with analog tuner and VCR connected via composite - it's much better than watching with horrendous dot crawl (low quality and low level sources).

I am thinking of asking for a refund on my HD45 rather than a replacement.

I am now fed up with the faults. Only had it two weeks today.

Anyone know where I stand legally regarding a refund?

dog-man

Bear in mind that for some of us, the common feeling seems to be that the Sagem DLPs improve with age - the bulb has to burn in (c100hrs of use) and the processors will, it seems, adjust to the standard of your feed over time offering a progressively better picture.:cool:

I have had board swaps to try and improve the tuning and processors and it does seem to have helped but it is very much a subjective view.:smashin:

There is not much to choose from on the DLP side if you drop Sagem - all boxes have some issues it seems so IMHO, leave the Sagem owners club as a last resort.:nono:

It just seems that the list of faults / problems is increasing as time goes on.

The latest one I have seen is a ghostly silhouette around images sometimes.

My family have been claiming they could see this from day one, but it was only yesterday that I first saw it.

All the problems I have are intermittent.

It's worse in Eco mode than normal mode.

I am having big problems now justifying so much money for a less than perfect television set, and my thoughts on returning it for a refund are growing daily.

I have checked the terms & conditions on the dealers web site and they do state a full refund is an option within the first 30 days if it is faulty.

By the way, I have spoken to Sagem and they don't know what is causing the problems, but do have a few ideas they are tossing around. They want to experiment on my set to get to the bottom of it if possible, but that means if I go out of the first 30 days and they still have not found a fix, then I have lost the opportunity of a full refund and will be stuck with it.

dog-man

You are talking about the 45" model. There seems to be additionally isues, or people of the 56" model did not find them up to now. At monday i start to help finding problems with the HD56 ;)

There won't be many:cool: but remember that the larger screen will not hide poor quality feeds as well as a smaller image set so make sure your feeds/cables etc are top notch:smashin:

Welcome to the 56' club!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom