1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My rowdy mates have ruined my AV setup!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by dodocream, Feb 17, 2003.

1. dodocream

dodocream

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Or perhaps not, I'm not sure as yet.

See, last night I had quite a few friends round and everything went pretty well - nothing too significant broken I thought - UNTIL I tried to switch my music / HC system on. As I turned the amp and sub on I started to hear a deep hum coming out of it and following that a noise started coming out the right rear speaker, which I can only compare to that of an old cassete tape rewinding.

This was in the middle of last night and being rather slashed out the time I went to bed and decided to worry about it in the morning. Well here I am and it's not good news. The sub continues to hum constantly if it is on and the amp is off, whereas the right speaker, far from being broken, now appears to be the only one working. Sound from any AV source is now played through just 2 speakers - the sub and this right rear. A far from ideal situation , especially as today was meant to be a DVD extravaganza!

Does anyone know what could be causing this problem. I have not knowingly changed any of the system settings and it was all working fine before last night. Water (or rather beer) damage seemed a possibility though I can't imagine when it happened. However, would this explain why 2 of the speakers work perfectly on any mode (5.1, DPL2 etc) and I can't hear a peep from the others?

I checked all the connections this morning and they're fine - all as before. Anyone got any ideas then: this is my setup:

AMP : Marantz SR4200
    SPK : Mission FS2-AV set with active subwoofer.

Cheers in advance.

2. alextgreen

alextgreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Running a very similar setup to yours here. I lost a channel when two banana plugs touched together. I am convinced someone stepped on my nice neat (yeah right) spaghetti of cables. Cleared up a buzz ages ago, turned out to be a frayed cable.

First port of call is definitely a tidy of your cables.

Second? Drive to mates house. Kill.

3. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Amen brother. Strike down upon them with great vengeance and furious anger!:D

Worse case, they wound the volume up to max, A) Killing the speakers - not good or B)Tripping all the protection circuits.

4. dodocream

dodocream

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

This sounds the most likely option - I think they were trying to see if it could power the whole house or something. :mad: :mad: :thumbsdow

Looking on the brighter side and hoping all the speakers aren't blown, what do I have to do if the protection circuits were tripped? Will it involve a proper repair or could I sort it out myself? I'm already tried turning it off at the mains and all the obvious things....

5. AndyCCC

AndyCCC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had an FS2 speaker blown when someone managed to turn up the volume to max before switching on a pro-logic source which created extreme noise through the centre channel. After that it only hummed, quietly. Good news is that Mission spares department are pretty quick at sending replacements out (just the internal panel is needed). Bad news is that they cost about £50 each including postage.

Of course, it's worth checking all the cabling, that the sats are properly seated inside the plastic cases, and switching the cables around to test different speakers in different outputs before parting with your cash.

6. dodocream

dodocream

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah but if it has been blown, as seems likely, would 4 of the 5 main speakers really have all gone simultaneously? I don't know, but most of the reports I'm hearing are of 1 or 2 going, not 4!

Secondly, does anyone know the answer to my earlier Q:

What do I have to do if the protection circuits were tripped?

7. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AFAIK you have to unplug from the mains for a minute or two then plug back in and switch on.

8. dodocream

dodocream

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right, tried this and.....

No luck! :suicide: . Starting to suspect I've somehow managed to let my mates blow 4 speakers, of which one of the main advantages is meant to be they're nigh-on impossible to blow. Little did I know my then bottom-of-the-range amp is more powerful than the 12 jumbo jets....

Hmm :thumbsdow

If the speakers are blown, will this by covered by my one-year Mission warranty which still has another couple of months to run, or will is be classifie as 'accidental damage' and cost me a bomb?

9. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Dodocream
    It isnt the power of the amp thats blown your speakers its more than likely that the amps gone in to clipping which would fry any speakers .When or if the amps been run at full volume the resulting distortion can seriously damage the speakers internals.
    Gonzo.

10. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would seriously consider killing your friends!:mad: Or better yet get them to chip in and pay for the cost of new speakers, if anyone treated my property with such disrespect I would be opening the biggest can of whoopass right about now.

11. dodocream

dodocream

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tell me about it. About to phone a couple of the suspected guilty parties up and deliver, ahem, a few choice words.

Does anyone know the answer to my earlier question though? - namely whether this is covered by the Mission 1-yr warranty? I'm not hopeful :(

12. Shirker

Shirker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why don;t you try taking the working speaker out of it's housing and put it in a differant one. At leatst you'll find out if the other speakers have blown or not :confused:

13. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    and probably invalidate any warranty you did have left. I would get in touch with Mission, their customer service is supposed to be first class.

14. dodocream

dodocream

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Really? Well that's some comfort at least.

By the way I just found a form in all the speaker documentation that I probably should have filled in when I bought them. It's a registration form, all the usual crap to fill in so I no doubt left it for another day (this was 10 months ago now) though does say at the top IMPORTANT - FILL THIS IN AS SOON AS YOU HAVE PURCHASED YOUR MISSION GOODS.

As I never did, could they refuse to honour my warranty? You should get an automatic 1 yr warranty with consumer goods no - no forms to fill in first?? I bloody hope so!

15. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    hi dodocream
    Have you got home contents insurance as this may be covered under accidental damage on your policy.
    Gonzo.

16. Cheng

Cheng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Try hooking up your rear spkr cable to the front speaker and try playing something, then you'll know whether its the speaker or cable.

17. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    registration does not effect your warranty! its just a way of getting your name and address to try and flog you new products. I'd test all your speakers on whichever channels of your amp are working as has already been suggested and then read through your contents insurance details.

18. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Don't need to - his friends will pay him.:mad: :mad:

19. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmmm you're right... get them to pay or we'll form a posse!:D

20. gdickin2

gdickin2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Connect each of your speakers in turn to the channel that is working. You can do this by swapping the cables around on your sub. This will confirm or rule out whether (or which) speakers are bust.
    If all speakers are OK connect them back up as per the original setting. Then using the known good channel try each connection in turn at the amp end. This will check if any channels on your amp are bust.
    How do I know - because I have had to do it myself.
    Oddly enough though once I had done this everything worked OK again - strange but true !.

21. dodocream

dodocream

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the replies guys, especially James and gdickin2. I phoned up Mission today and basically explained my predicament, to which they said that if it had been caused by accidental damage (i.e. playing music too loud) then it wouldn't be covered on the insurance. Now although I shouldn't really care since it wouldn't be me who pays, I'd nevertheless prefer to have it all under guarantee, just to make life easier and save having to extract money from my tight (ex-) mate who I think was responsible. However, James45, I would NOT describ Mission's CS as first-class - far from it in fact.

It was quite clear that the lovely dear on the phone didn't have the foggiest idea about speakers - even less than I do. She said that it was certainly my fault that the speakers were broken since music was being played through them at the time - all five of them no less(!) - in DPL2 and Mission 'don't advise customers to play music through all of the speakers, only through 2 in stereo' , despite the fact it's advertised as a surround sound, because the speakers 'can get all confused'. Eh?? This was confirmed to me as a load of Shawn Pollocks (his words had no cricketing analogy!) by the internet retailer I got the whole amp / speakers / dvd set from (www.avland.co.uk), who I must say are being disconcertingly helpful at the moment for an internet after-sales team!

The guys at AV Land basically told me to do the same thing as you did gdickin2. Unfortunately my wires are attached and painted to the wall in such a way to make this task exceedingly difficult, so I'm going to have to go out tomorrow and buy some cheap 'bell-wire' to test them with (anyone know where I can get this from?). That way I'll be able to know whether it's a problem with

a) the speaker cable (v. unlikely since 4 speaker cables all breaking simultaneously?!)
    b) the amplifier (possible though why would playing loud music through a 70W per channel amp break 4 channels so easily)
    c) the speakers (most likely, as the guy at AV Land admitted.

Strangely, the same guy also said Mission would be obliged to sent out free replacements or repair the speakers (assuming they're the prob) in house for free since it is within the 12 month period still and all I would have to do is pop the non-functional speakers in a bag addressed to him, with a covering note, and he will sort it all out through Mission for me.

Early days so far I know, though I'm starting to slowly feel more optimistic. Thanks for all the help so far - for those that are interested, I'll let you know the results of my tests tomorrow!

22. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Richer sounds sell bell wire for next to nothing.

it does sound as though you spoke to a muppet at mission (not playing music through DPL2, confused speakers:D ) but there is a post here about somebodies experience with Mission. they spoke to someone (sounds as though it may have been an engineer) who dealt with their problem very professionally.

23. timothyw

timothyw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Having done a bit of mobile djing I know a fair bit about cranking amps- apparantly the easiest way to break an amp is to have it too loud and 'saturate' the speaker crossovers. This not only breaks your speakers (by breaking the crossovers) but causes (and this is a direct quote from the guy I was talking to) 'the amp to go pop and never work again'.
    Hopefully this isn't what has happened. Thankfully most of my mates either know a bit about hi fi- or have the good sense to leave well alone. I'd be absolutely fuming if this happened to me.

24. jasonb

jasonb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi there,
    having read your predicament with great interest and sympathy, (I blew my old yammy A2 and it cost me an arm and a leg to get fixed, and 3 months!!!). Why not get all of your mates together and bring 5 other speakers over. It won't matter if there not matcher this is just to see whether there is any signal at all coming from your amp. If the amp turns itself of then it may be a problem with that. I got frustrated with the poxy thing and turned probably a very minor problem into an expensive one by holding the on button on the amp on until blue smoke poured from the back!!!! Also try this the opposite way round by plugging the missions into a different amp, doesn't matter what just to test if there is any signal coming out. Try this and you should find out which of the two is at fault, although you might be really buggered and have knackered both of them.

hope this helps

jasonb:rotfl:

25. Ianjo

Ianjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dodocream

I know this is some months after the event but what happened???

I would like to know as I am considering either FS1 or FS2 for my revamped living room..........I am interested to hear the outcome of the Mission 'customer service';)

Cheers

Ian

26. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,237
    Following on from this very intelligent pointer from Gonzo. Amplifiers that aren't powerful enough to drive the speakers are more likely to go into clipping mode and damage the speakers. 90% of all speaker damage is done by not have a powerful enough amplifier rather than having too much power.