1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My rotel amp just blew - please help!

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by Timmy B, Mar 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Timmy B

Timmy B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Big bang and flash from behind my left speaker, one of the banana plugs was black. One of the four fuses in the rotel (RB 981) has blown.

I don't know anything about fuses whatsoever, can any1 help?

The rotel circuit board says it is a 250VT5AX2 ( X 2 as in times two of the fuses).

Where do I buy fuses from?

Any help would be much great!

2. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I think your first port of call should be either the dealer who sold you the item (depending on its age) or alternatively give Rotel UK's service department a ring on: 01903 221700.

BTW, this info can also be found on the Rotel website, as shown here

Just a thought, before you slap in another fuse to replace the one that's blown, you might want to do some basic checks to see if you can work out what might have gone wrong in the first place.

Blackened Banana plugs do not sound too healthy.

3. Noodle

Noodle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sounds like a short circuit, you HAVE to find this before you try and power it back on. Have to say that if you get away with just replacing the fuse then you are a lucky lucky b**stard.

Hope you get it going.

Ben.

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would not try to switch it back on- if the fuse blew as well as the amp blowing up, then it's in pretty bad state. Might do more damage. Best to take it in for repair.

That amp is worth about £350? Ask for a qoutation to repair.

5. Timmy B

Timmy B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the above advice.

I managed to find a 5 amp fuse but now only 1 channel works and the entire amp sparks like crazy:(

Rotel were no help:( Just said they dont have a clue and that I should send it to them!?

Yesterday I changed things so that the rotel powered the low freq and my denon a1sr power my high frequency for the main stereo pair. Everything worked ok yesterday. Any1 have any ideas if this could have caused the problem?

I remember blowing the fuse in the plug 6 months ago without realising it - phoned Rotel and it was the same story, they didn't have a clue and wanted me to send it to them. They didn't offer any advice, didn't really want to know what was wrong with it either. Not pleased with Rotel aftersales at all:(

6. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Would it be fair to say that you have no technical expertise in the matter?
    I would strongly recommend that you send it to someone that does, ideally Rotel unless you can easily obtain a service manual for your model and let a qualifed technician service it.
    Rotels have an unfortunate record of suffering critical failures in spite of fuse protection even if the problem originated elsewhere. As i understand from your original post i would look to have the left speaker checked out for possible short circuits.

Rotel try to offer a repair "turnaround" of 14 days.

Steve.

7. Timmy B

Timmy B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I managed to get it working in the end. I replaced all four fuses (even though some seemed fine) and it now works. Fingers crossed it wont happen again.

I was comparing the performance of the rb 981 with the denon and was a little surprised to find itclearly better than the a1sr. The sound was so much more transparent. It maks me wonder if I should sell the a1sr and buy a 2nd hand tag. Listening to the a1sr after hearing the rotel is very fatiguing.

8. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    If you had the denon and the rotel connected to the speakers at the same time there's the likely cause of the problem.

You've probably now got a damaged denon, damaged rotel and possibly damaged speakers.

Rotel cannot tell you whats wrong, how can they? Its like phoning a garage and saying "my car stopped working, whats wrong with it?" No one can say without looking and checking the amp(s) out. Magical crystal balls don't exist.

Also if the denon is new thats why its sounding harsh, it needs to run for a week or so for components to settle down.

9. Timmy B

Timmy B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whoa, easy there.

As I said, everything is working fine now.

I was biamping my speakers using the rotel for the LF and the denon for the HF. This should cause no harm, and didn't, the problem was else where.

The denon is about 8 months old. I suppose I was naive to think it could be better than the rotel, which draws 400 watts to power 2x130 where as the denon draws something like 700 to power...

And as far as Rotel are concerned, they were no help what so ever. They wouldn't tell me what fuses I needed and all they wanted me to do was send it to them, they didn't even want to know what was wrong with it.

In fact, I would probably go as far as saying your post was pointless. Why did you bother? Try asking yourself "Why am I posting this?" before you post.

10. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Clever using two different make of amps to bi-amp. Really smart.:rolleyes:

11. Timmy B

Timmy B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In fact its recommended by alot of people. You just have to make sure the gains match. Anyway I just tried it out, and wouldn't recommend it myself.

Please get your facts right b4 posting.:rolleyes:

12. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Tim

With all due respect unless you were fortunate enough to speak to a technician who "wanted" to help and you were actually able to convince him that you were technically competent/conversant it is extremely UNLIKELY you would find any "over the phone" helpline tell you anything regarding taking the lid off of anything let alone replacement of non user servicable parts from a H&S/liability stance alone.
    Take it from one who knows you really do not want 30 amperes of current up your arm - that is an absolute certainty.

Steve.

13. Timmy B

Timmy B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Aye, it's just a shame that people would have to be without an amp for a couple of weeks for something as simple as a blown fuse.

The amp was unpluged and still gave me a nasty shock. My sweaty fingers didn't help!

I wish I hadn't compared the rotel against the denon now. Another nasty shock. Seperates is def. the way to go, even budget seperates like the rotel 981.

14. Noodle

Noodle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    So you are now using an amp that has blown up, sparked like crazy, and given you an electric shock without finding the original cause of the problem. Nice.

Seriously though, you said that the fuse in the plug blew 6 months ago. Are you sure that you replaced it with a fuse of the correct rating?

15. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nah probably used a thick screw! :rolleyes:

Why not take the Rotel amp to be serviced? What happens if it catches fire or electrocutes you?

16. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    You'll not get an insurance payout if it damages anything else.

I'd take it for a check.

17. Timmy B

Timmy B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I clearly said I did find the problem!

READ THE POSTS FIRST BEFORE POSTING (INSULTING!)!

Can this thread be deleted, I solved the problem many posts ago, but still these idiots post. It was 4 blown fuses caused by a cross wire. The fuses done what they were supposed to do. They have all been replaced. It was sparking because even though the the unit was unpluged, it still had a lot of static.

Please no more "Help" (read insults).

18. Noodle

Noodle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sir,

You are a ****.

19. Timmy B

Timmy B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Charmed.:rolleyes:

20. Noodle

Noodle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    :rolleyes: my arse, I've done nothing but try to help and prevent further damage to your kit and yet as the posts have gone on you have got more and more stroppy whilst demonstrating that you have very little knowledge of electronics.

People were only trying to help!

21. Timmy B

Timmy B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How have you helped further?

4 fuses blown, I have said I had found the problem. Whatelse is there to say?

I have people then telling me my speaker, denon amp and poweramp are probably buggered and that biamping is dangerous.

BTW, most of my anger is towards nathan_silly and not you. Finding the cause of the problem is a must, especially when fuses are blown and they must of blew for a reason and will do so again. Luckily I found the problem, as I stated many posts ago.

22. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,137
    Timmy B - you called a bunch of people idiots.
    Do this kind of thing again and you will be banned from the AV Forums.

Noodle - you called the guy a ****. Do this kind of thing again and you will be banned from the AV Forums.

Yellow card to both of you. Next time it's a red and you're out.

Nathan Silly - refrain from deliberately winding people up - no matter how unappreciated you feel. Errr... Cream card.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.