1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My rooms sound problems....help

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by micb3rd, May 1, 2002.

1. micb3rd

micb3rd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Hi basically I am converting my Bedroom into a small personal Cinema, it it a small room cinema it is 10.5 ft by 10.5 ft by 7 ft in size.

I am bulding the sound system slowly but the the moment I use Mission M73 floorstanding mains and have a fairly nice Denon amplifer to power them.

The main problem is that the treble has a twang sound to it both on DVD's and 2 channel music.

If I clap my hand in the room I get a nasty hi pitch twanging sound.

The if I rememmber correctly the room had some work done to it about 5 years ago extra plasterboard with a reflective rear metal like substance on the back (Like Kitchen foil) was built up over the top of the prevous walls of the room.

I was wondering if some sort of Treatment, cloth or curtains could be used to tame my treble colouration.

Can anyone help me?

2. micb3rd

micb3rd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Oh yes and one more thing, the twanging seems to come from the corners of the room.

3. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It does sound like you have too many hard surfaces in there - is the floor carpeted or not? If not, I'd get a decent sized rug down, and maybe experiment with a couple up on the walls - or maybe thick curtains.

Can't imagine that the plasterboard you mention would be the cause.

Not sure how much help this is, but good luck!

4. micb3rd

micb3rd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Yep I have a think carpet on the floor, I was thinking of covering the wall closest to the speakers and having a dead end down there and a live end up with me.

5. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm suprised that you're getting that much out of the room if you have a carpet down already - I'd try dumping some big cushions from your sofa or something in there and seeing if it makes a difference - be a pain to buy a load of extra stuff and it not make a difference....

6. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    A 'rule of thumb' is to have the 'screen wall' end of the room absorbtive (sp?) and the side walls below ear level too. The rest should be live.

I did this by putting carpet on my screen wall, and onto the walls up to approx ear level. The nasty hand-clap reverberation then dissapeared and I don't seem to have any noticable side effects from doing this either. See the pics of my ht room on my website.

HTH

Gary.