1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Room

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by drdaredevil, Jul 9, 2004.

1. drdaredevil

drdaredevil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey. I need some help from all of you speaker guru's out there. As some of you might know, I just ordered a pair of Bose 141 bookshelf speakers and I am having trouble deciding where to put them in my room to get the best sound. Its too tough of a decision for me so maybe some of you might have some opinions.

Should I...

1) Put them in the front in the left and right corners

2) Put them in the front about 3 ft. away from the corners

or...

3) Put them on the sides to get more room coverage.

Any comments/suggestions about anything would be greatly appreciated. Just so you know, I am only 15 years old so I am not making as much cash as most of you out there. Thank you for reading this and I appreciete your replies.

2. Anjoux

Anjoux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For the best sound keep them out of corners - this reinforces all the undesireble parts of the bass, causing bass boom (for an idea, just listen out on the high street for any 18-19 yr old lad in their car with a bass cannon)

Also you should most definately avoid facing the speakers at each other across the room - this is akin to creating a hole in the middle of the soundstage - - it won't wrap around you the way it should...

Which leaves your 2nd suggestion - the best of the lot - you may also want to "toe-in" the speakers (angle them slightly toward each other - you may need to experiment a bit)

Hope this helps

3. drdaredevil

drdaredevil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much for that advice. I had no idea to keep them out of the corners or that pointing them towards eachother would be bad. I'm glad that someone finally responded because I get the speakers the day after tomorrow! The mounting brackets come tomorrow along with the speaker wire I need. I'm a little worried, though, because the mounting brackets require you to put a 1/2" screw into the back of the bookshelf speaker. Being a 1/2", I don't think that it will hit anything due to the fact that the wood for the base has to be about that size anyhow. I don't know, though, I posted in the forums a week ago asking if that would be bad but nobody has responded yet. Maybe if you're reading this now you could give me a quick reply. I appreciate the information on the placement, it was very helpful.

4. Anjoux

Anjoux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would imagine you'll be fine, but I'm not familiar with your speakers - just use a little common sense.

Personally I would be more worried about damaging the finish, than whether I would be damaging/affecting anything inside.

5. drdaredevil

drdaredevil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I don't really sell things after I've used them and the back is not really going to be seen. My father is good at using a drill because he's good with those kinds of things, so I'm just worried about anything inside.