1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My room design any good?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Bursar, Aug 12, 2003.

1. Bursar

Bursar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Right, I've been planning my room, and have come up with the following plan:
    [​IMG]
    The room is about 3.7m long, and 2.5m wide, so I don't have much room to play with :(

Here's a render of the seating end of the room. The speakers are 1m up, which is the height of the KEF speaker stands. The speakers (which will be Kef 2005.2s) are rendered to the correct dimensions.
    [​IMG]
    The other end of the room will have a screen (about 5 or 6ft wide) with the image being provided by a PJ mounted on the ceiling somewhere over the sofa.

For a 5.1 setup, this should be OK, but I was wondering about a 6.1 or 7.1 setup though. As you can see from the render, I don't have much space to play with for rear speakers though. The only real option is to put them on the window sill. This would put them head height, around 12" behind. The lighting problem this could cause should be solvable with some blackout blinds.

The other option would be to turn the room around and put the seating at the other end.

Then the rear speakers could be wall mounted behind the seats, but they'd still be a little close. The other problem with this is that the door opening may interfere with the seating position.

Ofcourse I could just forget the entire thing and stick with a 5.1 setup. Thoughts would be appreciated.

2. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I Demoed the kefs with the surrounds that close to my head in Sevenoaks - unfortunately the result was that if you sat anywhere other than exactly between them the surround field lost a lot of cohesion & one was blasting in your ear whilst the other was nowhere near as audible.

The rest of it looks fine,

3. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    That certainly looks a good design. If it was me I would wall mount the rear speakers up higher, 18in to 2ft from the ceiling. That way the distance from each speaker to your ears will be more even and try the sub between the Main L/R speakers. I'm not sure how low the Kef Satellites go but with the sub on the side wall it my pull the sound field off to one side.

4. Bursar

Bursar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Sounds like 5.1 is the way forward for this room then.

The sub I just chueck over there to keep it from interfering with the rest of the diagram.

If were to have the sub inbetween the two front speakers, would be OK to use it as a stand and have my centre speaker sitting on it?

As for the rear speakers, If they are monuted higher up, what's the best way for them to point? Should they still face each other as they do now?

5. damtom1

damtom1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That set up looks good to me.If you leave the rears facing each other,they should be fine....plus you can always add a centre rear in the future.Maybe fixing the centre rear to the under side of the window recess,or just above it ,would be an option.Or have it on a stand like the others.You may have to compromise on speaker selection,not all speakers will fit the bill.
    I agree with the previous post,wall mounting is a good idea,but if they are on stands it is easier to move them from the sides to behind...Then settle for the one you like best.