My rights regarding canceled web order

WolfMax

Standard Member
I recently ordered a HDMI switch. However, when it wasn't delivered at the time expected, I enquired as to it's whereabouts and was told that the suppliers had run out and that I would receive my order on a particular day and that I would be sent an email with a tracking no. in due course.
Unfortunatly no mail was sent and the due date came and went so I emailed the company I paid my money to, to cancel the order and stated I wanted my money refunded to the Visa account I had used to pay within 7 days.
Well, I've had no reply to this last email (surprise, surprise) but I'm now wondering if my deadline demand was within my rights.

Any ideas?

Cheers
Colin

Jenn

Distinguished Member
You can cancel your order anytime before it's shipped and within 7 days after delivery so you're fine on the cancellation part.

For the refund bit I don't think there is a set limit within which they have to refund except it's supposed to be as soon as possible. I have 28 days in my head but I'm not sure whether it's law or recommended practise.

PoochJD

Distinguished Member
Hi Colin,

If you paid with a Visa Credit (or possibly Debit) card, then simply do a chargeback, and state that the company you ordered from have failed to fulfill your order, in a timely fashion.

And then, never use them again! ;)

Pooch

jassco

Distinguished Member
Hi Colin,

If you paid with a Visa Credit (or possibly Debit) card, then simply do a chargeback, and state that the company you ordered from have failed to fulfill your order, in a timely fashion.

And then, never use them again! ;)

Pooch

don't forget to name and shame here as well :smashin:

There is a limit on how long it can take, something like 28 days as posted above

Geege

My understanding is:

Recovery of sums paid by or on behalf of the consumer on cancellation, and return of security

The supplier shall make the reimbursement referred to in paragraph (1) as soon as possible and in any case within a period not exceeding 30 days beginning with the day on which the notice of cancellation was given.

Full law here:

The Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000

Statutory Instrument 2000 No. 2334

Knyght_byte

Distinguished Member
If the items have not yet shipped, then just do a chargeback as mentioned, call your bank/credit card company and make the request on the grounds that the company involved have not sent you the goods as agreed. Then, send the company in question an email/letter advising them you have done the chargeback and they can either send you the goods, at which point you will contact them to make payment again, or they can cancel the order entirely.

If the goods had been sent, then you can send them back but the company in question has up to 30 days to refund the money. Although you can still do a chargeback to speed the process along, but sometimes banks won't agree in that situation as the order was completed and you have simply changed your mind.

WolfMax

Standard Member
Thanks all for your replies.

I rang the company concerned and to my surprise i actually got to talk to a person (yes a real person not a machine!!).
Who cancelled my order there and then and as far as i could hear, refunded my Visa purchase as we were talking (at least there was a lot of keyboard action going on in the background).
If all goes as it should, then i'd rather not 'Name & Shame' just yet but believe me I will if I don't get my money in the next 3 working days (how long i believe it takes to go through the Visa refund system).

So fingers crossed and thanks again for all your help.

Cheers
Colin

Knyght_byte

Distinguished Member
technically, the payment can go back to your card almost immediately, but that involves them doing it as a payment which they will get charged on. The refund process can take only 48 hours guaranteed but that involves them paying a fee as well, whereas if they use the 72 hours process, they dont pay a fee.......lol

I work for an energy company so every now and again we have to do the immediate style refund where we have been grossly in error for one reason or another (usually involving someone with very little money and vulnerability, such as kids).

WolfMax

Standard Member
Again, thanks for all the replies.

It would appear they used the 72 hour system (which must work over the weekend) as I got my money today. And as it was before my Wednesday deadline, I feel it's only fair that I cannot 'Name & Shame'.
So, as it stands thier lack of communication tempered by thier swift responce in returning my money means that while they will not be my first choice, I wouldn't rule out using them as a last resort.

Cheers all
Colin

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom