My rights on DVD Recorder

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by charlie_boy, Mar 13, 2006.

1. charlie_boy

charlie_boy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Back in Jan I bought a Sharp DVD recorder direct from Sharp (HHD type). So three weeks ago it failed, needing a new hard drive and a dvd board. I contact Sharp, who then instructed me to send it to their approved repairer. I did that, and they changed the HDD yet awaited the DVD board. I contacted them every other day asking when it would be ready, and all I got was "Don't now when the part will arrive, Sharp do not give us a date etc". There seemed no care in chasing it at all. So I bit the bullet and phoned Sharp direct, they now instruc me that it will be July when the part will arrive!!! I told them it un-acceptable, and I want a replacement machine. At the moment they have told me they cannot do anything, but they have contacted Head Office!!! I still await their response. What are my consumer rights??? I bought it frotheir factory shop.

2. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Wait and see if their H.O. are willing to supply a new machine. If not then ask your local trading standards for advice.
    Or you could ask T.S. right now :

http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/

3. lostinspace

lostinspace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +747
    I had run-ins with Sharp a while back when I bought a 32" TV from a reputable retailer.I had 3 sets within four months,all with the same fault(tube giving out) and when I contacted Sharp they just didn't want to know.All they kept saying was it's up to the retailer to sort out and not their problem.
    I wish you luck sorting it,but I'm not surprised you have problems with what purports to be a reputable company. Obviously there a no Sharp products on my electronics wishlist!
    Maybe there should be a problem thread somewhere on this site-one for each manufacturer?Then reliability and support could be monitored for those looking to buy items.

4. shemau

shemau
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Check out:

http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/goods-service/appliances/fs_e01.shtml

My understanding is that if the fault appears within the first six months it is generally considered that the goods were faulty when sold and thus are not 'of satisfactory quality'. (See the refunds section of your rights).
    There is also a link on complaining effectively.

Also, know your rights before you call:
    http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/your-rights/fs_c04.shtml

I would give them a few days to see if head office offer a replacement.
    Under refunds, it would appear that YOU have the right to a refund, a replacement or a repair. YOUR choice.
    If head office turn down a replacement, then it is safe to say that both replacement and repair are not available and thus you are entitled to a refund and potentially compensation.

You should be dealing with the retailer... not the repair company. The retailer (Sharp factory shop?) should be chasing the dealer and chasing Sharp. If you are complaining in person in the store you might get a better response, they are definitely capable of giving either a replacement (assuming they have one) or a refund on the spot.
    Know your rights and stay calm.

5. charlie_boy

charlie_boy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the help. Unfortuantely, the Sharp shop has relocated to London in the last week or so, so I cannot go in person. I feel that no one has the sense of urgency in sorting out this problem, everyone is intent on passing the buck.

6. xxxx

xxxx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I bought a 32in W/S Sharp TV a couple of years ago. Never again. Endless problems, breakdowns, repairs, faults, geometry errors. After about a year I took the chain store that sold it to me to court and got a full refund.

7. JB38

JB38

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Regarding you being informed that the part wont be available until July, apart from the good advice given by others, if you are forced to wait for the part, then push it that your guarantee is extended by the same time as your set was out of action, really force the issue!

Regarding lostinspace's posting, I am curious to know if he is aware of the brand of TV tube used in these Sharp TV's, as I heard through a trade grapevine that Philips is having (or has been having) an ongoing lawsuit battle with their tube gun suppliers regarding a large number of premature CRT failures in their range of wide-screen sets.

Philips tubes being used in a range of different manufacturers TV's.

8. Bien

Bien

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Other advice re complaining to Trading Standards is the road to go down. I recently had a problem with a Sony and neither retailer nor Sony were interested until I laid a complaint with Trading Standards who telephone the retailer for an explanation. The retailer then put pressure on Sony to do something about the problem. Suddenly everyone became helpful!

The important thing is to be determined and persistent, otherwise you'll be effectively ignored.