1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[My Review] Sony Silicon Skin for NW-HD5

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by recsnmisc, Jul 21, 2005.

1. recsnmisc

recsnmisc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After I found that Sony had made available a Silicon Skin for the NW-HD5, I knew I had to get one. I wanted some kind of protector for my player ever since I bought it. I never liked the other available products.
    After some research here in the forums I found that these silicon skins were actually a re-brand by Sony of the Proporta skins. Yeah, Sony is getting these from Proporta and marketing them !!
    So, I did get one ordered from Proporta since they were the same product and readily available.
    First of all ordering from Proporta.com is great, they were really fast to ship and it got here in no time. Great, professional service. No problems whatsoever. Recommended.

MY REVIEW:

Love the skin, its really well cut and designed, it seems to be able to protect the player from falls. Maybe it will even make it bounce back off the floor a bit. No more scratches or dents. The skin doesn't mess with the player's key response. Its easy to take the player off your pockets cause the skin doesn't have too much grip/adherence, so it slides on and off really easy. It does make the player a bit bulkier so it doesn't look "wow omg incredibly small" anymore... Or maybe this is just me.

It's lightweight and seems to be made of good quality silicon, not like some ipod skins I've seen around, so I think this will be very durable and deformation resistant. I would like it to be a tighter fit on the player, because it really doesn't fit like a glove. It doesn't provide a screen/visor protection, so maybe you'll like to have some screen protectors to go with it.

I hate that these skins come in white and pink only. I would like some black/gray skin to go with my black NW-HD5. I don't want people to think I own a freaking iPOD. Maybe this is a perfect match for the silver model.
    The skin ruins the look of the player, even more because I loved the NW-HD5 design in the first place. You cant even tell what brand it is from looking at it, but hey, thats the price you pay for extra protection...

The Sony version of these skins come with Sony written in the front and Proporta written in the back. Mine doesn't have any Sony branding in the front, just Proporta in the back, even though the photos in their website show differently. I was a bit disappointed with that.

PROS:
    Proporta.com service
    Quality of materials and design
    Protection
    Price

CONS:
    Pink and white colour only
    I would like a tighter fit on the player
    No Sony logo on the Porporta version. (?!)
    Completely ruins the player's look.

OVERALL: 8 out of 10

2. ToxicUK

ToxicUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes the case makes the unit a little bigger but it fits superbly,it looks great on a silver unit and it also has belt slits in the back (sony embossed on the front) bought from dabs

3. kamp

kamp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just got one in the mail today.
    I don't really have any other complains except its size and color.
    The case could've been tighter to provided a better fit, and yeh, it'd been nice if it came in black/gray since I have a black HD5 as well.

4. recsnmisc

recsnmisc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I forgot something I would like to see on these skins...
    Some sort of Braille-style symbols embossed in the keypad for easier navigation.

Man, these guys should hire me as a consultant!! :D

5. PollMak

PollMak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Question:
    Does the player move when you shake it in the skin?
    Will the player fall out if you hold it upside down and shake? (I would not think so, but just checking)
    I access to the usb port easy ie. does the flap/cover open easy with this skin?

cheers for the review.

6. recsnmisc

recsnmisc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, Not all all!

Thats a no too. There's not a chance it will slide off the skin when upside down, no matter how hard you shake it. You'll need your fingers to extract the player off the skin.

You'll have to do some minor silicon stretching and pulling, but it's easy enough to get the cover open, and closed.

Don't let any of this put you off from buying this silicon skin, as it is the best product available right now.

7. sulk

sulk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This case looks pretty nice, when I bought my HD5, I decided to get a cheap silicone case, and I have no problems with it, except for about a 1mm difference on the buttons, but this case is good cause it protects the buttons with silicone, and yea. So thanks for the review, I like the silicone feel, and protection, so I might get one of these at some point just because it provides better protection and so forth.

-Sulk

8. djpowell

djpowell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you're getting one of these from Proporta, then it is probably worth buying one of the screen protectors too, cause the silicone sleeve leaves the screen uncovered.

The screen protector is a small square of film, a similar thickness to camera film, with a matt anti-glare top finish, and a clingy backing. I don't think that it is glue, it is a sort of static clingyness. If you make a mistake applying it you can peel it off and try again, and you can even wash it if you get any dust on it whilst you are applying it.

When it is in place it won't move and you can't tell that it is there, other than from its matt finish. The instructions say that it can be reused after it has been put in place.

It comes with a silky cloth for cleaning dust from the screen before applying the film, and a plastic card to smooth the film into place without getting bubbles.

--
    Dave

9. sulk

sulk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I still have the plastic screen protecter that protects the screen and the buttons, from when i got my hd5 in its box, and i dont plan on taking that off unless its damaging m ine, and so far it seems to be working fine, except that you cant feel the buttons 100%, but its okay now cause the skin lets me feel where they are.

-Sulk

10. Kong

Kong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  11. sulk

sulk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    kong I bought one of those cases, and then I bought a Proporta case, and personally they both have their faults. The ebay one is cheapers, and it holds onto the hd5 better then the properta. The proptorta on the other hand covers the buttons which is nice, but its huge compared to the other skin. I dont like that because it makes my HD5 bigger. Personally the only thing wrong with the ebay one is that the button holdes dont work 100%, as they get pushed around, and then become unaligned with the buttons, (only by a few mm). I really wish someone would make a case thats the same shape as the ebay one, but with the buttons covered over. But I think if you can live with the buttons, I'd stay away from the proporta. My HD5, doesnt seem like it fits snugly, as compared to the other case, cause in the proporta i can kind of shake it around and it moves. Also so ebay one is thinner then the proporta which is nice for the size factor. When it comes down to it, the ebay one is a good fit, but the buttons get annoying. The proporta is bigger the the HD5, but the buttons are nice, and it jiggles a bit. So yea. I just thought the proporta would be better for the price i paid for it.

-Sulk

12. Kong

Kong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I think i'll just stick with the ebay 1 for now.
    but I just seen the ones that vaja (i think thats what there called) have made and they look really nice.
    Only thing is that I'm worried about the size of the thing, it seems like it will protect the thing very well and the colours you can get are really nice, and you can have your name on it, in some way.
    does anyone have a vaja case?

13. drmoze

drmoze
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have one on order. Have a Vaja case for my Palm Vx too. They make really high-quality stuff. I'm sure there is no comparison between it and the Sony leather case. I'll report back when it arrives. I like it for the screen protector and play-thru capability. I don't want to flip a cover or take my HD5 out of the case to use it.

My 35ELK remote just arrived too. Have to pick it up today.

Now if only I could get SS to work, and get some songs onto my HD5 too listen to!!!!!!!! :mad:

14. Kong

Kong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    How much did you pay for yours, did you get the personalisation thing?
    Is postage added on top of the price on the site?
    I just won the MC40ELK on ebay for £38 not too bad i spose.
    Why can't you get it working?
    My player arrived today and I've got some songs on it already.
    Is there a way to put all the songs in one big file on the player so you can scroll through them all instead of searching through artists etc ...
    also on those cases, how are names put on to the case?
    would be quite cool to have your name on initials on it :)