My review of the Panasonic AT6000

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by DeadEye, Feb 27, 2013.

1. DeadEye

DeadEye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +203
    So having been told to go and demo a unit projector to upgrade from my Optoma HD80 (which inevitably is the best advice) I looked at a Panasonic AT6000 yesterday while picking up a new receiver.

Now, I was told that DLA/LCD wasn't as sharp as DLP but I really wasn't expecting is to be that bad.

a) I had to ask them to make sure it was in focus! (80" screen)
    b) I immediately noticed the auto IRIS working (awful and distracting)
    c) The thing couldn't product a black if it tried (and we did try)

There also didn't seem to be an adjustment on the IRIS to try and improve the black.

In summary, it has no redeeming features. And it's bloody huge.

I'd have been gutted if I'd have just bought it based on other reviews.

Moral of the story, don't whinge when someone says "Go and demo it"

:D

2. tausifs

tausifs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +166
    So do you think you will be looking at another Optoma as a replacement ? Benq and mabe Mitsubishi still do DLP.

I used to have a HD80 but upgraded a few yrs ago to a now rebranded Planar/Runco PD8150/LS5 DLP Pj.

3. DeadEye

DeadEye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +203
    I really don't know at this stage.

I'll be honest, I "assumed" that my HD80 would be classed as a P.O.S. and that I could upgrade to something slightly newer but not current and see a benefit.

How does your new PJ compare to your HD80?

I notice if you search for PJ's with a .95 chip you don't get many in the "under £10k bracket"!

4. tausifs

tausifs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +166
    I think the hd80 was an excellent PJ . I only looked to upgrade because at the time I wanted a PJ that had lenshift, which the hd80 did not have, so I could ceiling mount it.

The planar pd8150 totally blew me away , sorry if that sounds cliched but that was how I felt. The current equivalent is the runco ls5. Neither is 3D. I never ceiling mounted anyway so kind of ironic.

I can't imagine needing to ever upgrade. If it broke I would pay to get it fixed rather than buy a newer model.

Good luck in your search !

5. DeadEye

DeadEye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +203
    I'm struggling to be honest. The best PJ I've seen so far is a £900 BenQ W1200! Significantly higher detailed image to the Panasonic and a lot less light bleeding from it when displaying a black image.

I wasn't even blown away with a JVC X55.

My HD80 is ceiling mounted, what issues did you have?

When you say the planar blew you away, how do you mean? A lot brighter? Better at black detail?

6. tausifs

tausifs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +166
    Hi,

Sorry for the late reply.

I use a vertical compression anamorphic lens, which necessitates a long throw. My throw is about 20ft. I could have ceiling mount the HD80 and have a long throw. But due to the fixed steep offset of the HD80- it would have projected onto the sofas in my living room and I needed it to project on a screen above the sofas.

What struck me about the planar 8150 was its sharpness and colour accuracy both of which I believe are at least in part attributable to its excellent lens qualities.

I note that Runco do a more affordable PJ based on its LS5 - called the LS1 which retailed at £4K. The problem is that I am not convinced Runco have made inroads to the UK mid entry market eg. I don't know where you could demo one but you could give their UK distributor a call , it used to be , and/or still is Pulse Marketing.

BTW, I saw one of the earlier JVC DILA offerings , possibly their 2nd gen and I was unimpressed. I think I am inherently pro- DLP. Audiable Noise and rainbow effect on my planar are relatively minimal to me.

7. tausifs

tausifs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +166
    Also my planar has no frame interpolation (I detest FI btw due to soap opera look ) but its motion handling / camera pans with 24p material is gloriously smooth . I think it refreshes it at 48hz but this is plenty smooth somehow.

8. ShanePJ

ShanePJ
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Unit 5 The Sidings, Bacup, Lancs, OL13 9RW
    Ratings:
    +682
    I feel you are looking at the wrong projector as an upgrade. You should be looking toward the HD83 as the HD80 was very sharp.

We have just had a customer in this weekend who has just made the jump from the HD80 to the HD83 with a marked improvment in every way.

Regards, Shane.