My review: Momitsu V880 High Definition DVD Player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Ninjaman, Jul 10, 2004.

1. Ninjaman

Ninjaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    My original setup was with my Pioneer DVD Player DV656 running component cables to my hitachi plasma, calibrated through AVIA video calibration DVD NSTC . Initially the whole calibration process took about 30mins. The plasma only really struggle with producing accurate reds through my dvd player. But apart from that the user settings is far different from the manufacturer's settings. Practically everything is turn down or off for DVD viewing on the picture settings for the plasma. The DV656 non-progressive video playback through component is much more sharper and vibrant than through s-video or rgb scart. So I settled for components for my standard viewing choice. Overall I was quite satisfied with the overall outcome, the picture can seem a bit soft at first but I mainly watch in dark surroundings as I did my calibration in. Now I mainly use the Pioneer for SACD/DVDA playback as its connected 6 channel output on my PIoneer VSX2011 receiver. Wonder why?

Then comes the Momitsu.

Ok all of what you have read is true, the build quality is average not even close to my pioneer. Remote control unit is flimsy has button that stays depressed ( very clever) and yes, its conflicts with all my other pioneer equipment. The LCD display is small and remote/player response is very slow compared to my pioneer dvd. You press one button that remote control and funny things start to happen to your receiver and dvd player. Problem corrected by moving the Momitsu to my hifi rack. Just looking at the unit there isnt anything significant good or bad its just a plain dvd player. Put the player in multi region mode up down up down right left and macrovision off. Now ready to rumble. Played a few Pal DVDs through S-video and wasn't really impressed and wasn't surprised either.

Then I connected the Momitsu using s-video and change the settings to DVI 1080i 60hz ( custom modes for 50hz/60hz) with my 2m Lindy cable. I used the same Avia Calibration video setting from my pioneer DVD on my Hitachi. I decided to throw a few Pal DVDs at it mainly the Blade II, Chicken Run and The Office ( this all the Pal DVDs I have). One word-BREATHTAKING. The image was 3d like, colours more vibrant, more detail in the picture and more stable.. Begin swapping dvds from my Pioneer to my Momitsu just to make sure. The Momitsu image was indeed very impressive through DVi. I am quite confident that this player will stump all standard resolution dvd players 5 times its price.

I am extremely happy with my purchase , custom charges and all.
    :smashin: :smashin: :smashin:

Now to program my Momitsu remote to my learning remote control and get the latest firmware.

2. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    Its not a HD dvd player though is it.

It just scales the pic, which isnt HD(infact is far far from it)

Glad u like your unit though, sounds like you were lucky enough to get a good 1

3. zygote

zygote

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ninjaman; Where did you buy the Momitsu from, and if it's not too vulgar a question, how much (all in).

Would you recommend the retailler you used.

Thanks.

4. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,057
    Believe me, standard DVDs upscaled to 720p or 1080i can look very close to HD!

Andy.

5. Ninjaman

Ninjaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It cost me around £110 for the player, shipping $45 from hongkong ( 2day delivery with tracking) and but i got stung at customs for £40 ( excise duty, vat and parcel force charges etc).from http://www.taipeipc.com. however, there is list of recommended retailers at www.momitsu.com and there is also the brainwave v880 ( the momitsu with a scart :devil: ) available in germany ( cheaper delivery and no custom charges).

BTW...I am still impressed with this player through DVI.....going through my dvd collection :D . WOW, best upgrade purchase i have made in years. my plasma doesnt play768p, oh well thankfully i havent got alot of pal software. and 1080i looks alot better than 720p on my hitachi.I have now calibrated my player with Avia, BLADE2 DTS REGION 2 PAL is awesome picture quality and all my NSTC software is stunning. Even the THE OFFICE is simply amazing. I have seen true high definition software in the states, but when i am watching dvds it does seems a true high def software/broadcast and not upscaled 480p/576p resolutions. Kudos to momitsu. :thumbsup:

6. zygote

zygote

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I take it there are no UK distributers for the Momitsu then... :( Does the "Brainwave" player still have DVI, and do you think it would be just as good as the Momitsu.

Thanks.

7. gjc-ortho

gjc-ortho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Not considered the Yamakawa :confused: I've got one setup to A sony HS10 and find the picture absolutely awesome.Again imported but this time from Germany so no import duty ;)

Cheers all

8. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Brainwave does have DVI out yes...and is identical in every way to the Momitsu apert from the inclusion of an RGB Scart as well as all the other socketry.
    My advice to you is to do a comprehensive search on these forums, and if you can, over on avs. I've had the Brainwave AND Momitsu players and for me personally, the bads outweighed the goods. On the Momitsu, I had every single problem that hass been documented. Then I changed it for a Brainwave and the problems started...I just gave up in the end.
    I think the conclusion is - it's a lottery. You might or you might not get a decent player from Manowa. Remember, no support in this country, and if it goes wrong it'll have to go back to the far east to get repaired...
    A far better bet IMO is the Yamakawa player (which, comparedto the Momitsu and Brainwave, is built like a tank...), or the Samsung 935, which will only allow 720/1080 via it's DVI output...

9. Ninjaman

Ninjaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    no uk distributors for either the momitsu or brainwave. however, the brainwave have all the features as the momitsu but have a scart connection. not sure whether the momitsu firmware updates is compatible with the Brainwave. European distributors can be found at http://www.momitsu.com

10. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269

No they dont..

Having access to both at present, upscaled HD does not compare to the same film thats in high def. Theres a hell lot more detail in hi-def. upscaling afterall does not add any extra picture info.

11. Ninjaman

Ninjaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    :thumbsup: Well, momitsu upscaled dvi 1080i output undoubtedly looks a whole lot better than rgb-scart, component 480i/576i/480p, svideo and video out.

Even alot better video quality than my bro's arcam at £850, IMO.

And for the price :thumbsup: all the way

12. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    Of course it does. rgb scart is inferior to component let alone DVI.

Not saying the pic you get it bad as it is very good from this unit bar a few pic probs, but its just not HD and should not be treated as such.

But for a bargain deck it is hard to beat, if u like this sort of thing

13. benny45

benny45

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all. Ninjaman they charge me like 60 dollars for shipping,how well was the shipping method they use @ taipeipc.com?,considering that iam in Puerto Rico(US)(TERRITORY).Btw I love this forum.Very helpfull.They shipped EMS registered air.

14. NaTT

NaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    I'm after the V880N when it's available from taipepc next month (it's on their price list but not yet selectable).

BTW all the european dealers listed on the momitsu site are non responsive to e-mails.

The manual suggests its DVI out has HDCP encoding.
    Dutch on the Plasma forum suggested that the V880 is like this also but a code from the remote could disable it.
    Anyone know what this is or where it can be discovered?

cheers