1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My replacement 37wl56 came today

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by BLOWNIT, Jul 30, 2005.

1. BLOWNIT

BLOWNIT
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well the replacement 37wl56 arrived today to correct the yuv problem, which it did, however when i switched it on all i could hear was that dreaded humming noise from the backlight. ok so you can reduce it slightly by lowering the back light level but then the picture darkens so as far as i am concerned it ain't good enough.
    This noise was not on my old set so i telephoned Toshiba and in fairness were very supportive and are dispatching out a replacement after the factory fortnight is over.
    One thing that annoyed me with this, is that this is a known gremlin, as we all know from reading these forums and when you see the quality control stickers plastered around the box it makes you wonder who is quality assesing these products or in what environment, because if they are testing these in a noise filled room you probably won't hear the humming as a problem.
    I really think Toshiba should review this area of their production as it is obviously failing.
    I don't know how you feel but hardly anything i purchase these days operates flawlessly, the general quality of things seems to have gone down the pan. Tosh are not the cheapest products so you would expect a certain level of workmanship ( sorry workpersonship.....i must make sure i am politically correct )
    If Toshiba are operating like my place of work are operating it's a case of speed, speed and more production with more unskilled people while the best people are forced to escape with the resulting enevitable drop in quality.
    Right that's me done,
    BLOWNIT

2. supermackem

supermackem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    I should get my 27 model on monday, did they arrive on the day they stated on the phone. Who was it delv by just so i know to keep an eye out for as my street is hard to find.

3. nasht

nasht

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    seems like all the lcd tv's have issues

4. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    My brother had an Iiyama LCD monitor that also had buzzing which he couldn't stand. It sounds like the backlight does cause some buzzing.

There's none on my own Philips monitor or Sony TV, but if I plug headphones into my TV I can hear it - EXCEPT when I turn the Backlight up to full setting, which is odd.

I don't have much point of comparison but it does seem irritating to me how many products have such silly little problems that could possibly be easily corrected. I mean, why don't some LCD TVs have the option in the menu to adjust the backlight? It'd surely be trivial to implement.

5. nick501

nick501

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +782
    Supermackem: I got my 27wl56 replaced on friday! Yes they delivered on time and the It was DHL who delivered it.

Had to phone DHL to arrange collection of my old set. (which i packed in the new ones box as i'd chucked the old box)

Strangely I still couldn't get Component through VGA????? even though I now Have YUV in the menu set up.....oh well maybe it is my leads or VGA box??

Good luck with your new set!

6. supermackem

supermackem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Cheers nick i hope this finally sorts out the green screen at 720p over yuv. Glad it came on time and with a decent firm like dhl. As i hate royal mail and dont trust them with expensive pakages like this. Lol yeah i tossed the box out as well who in there right mind has room for a box like that lol.looking forward to a nice 720p signal, it was like having a free tv for a few month.:)

7. BLOWNIT

BLOWNIT
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Unit arrived on time with DHL. All the paperwork for returning the old tv is in the box.

8. brock_landers

brock_landers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  9. reklor

reklor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
  10. supermackem

supermackem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Got my replacement now have yuv option in the menu now. Looks like the x2vga and the vdz2 adapters for xbox dont work. As they are still sending a vga signal is whats being picked up on the tv. Anyone know of a cheapish component switch.

11. reklor

reklor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Cant you just buy one of the afforementioned component-vga cables???

12. supermackem

supermackem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Would be noway of connecting it to the xbox. I would need the component lead from xbox going into a switch and the output on the switch using the vga to yuv lead.

13. Rob Sheep

Rob Sheep
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Blownit,

A bit of interesting news, I saw a relative of mine this weekend at one of those dreaded family things, and it turns out that he also has a 37WL56p, small world in'it. Anyway, it turns out that Steve has written to Toshiba about the problem with the buzzing and the problem with the set playind non-anamorphic discs. What Tosh appear to have said is this:

The buzzing is caused by the pcb board being too close to the panel, to stop the buzzing will mean that the sets will have to be fit with spacers to move it away, however, this means that the board will be too close to the back panel of the set and this or that is a health and safety issue! So until that can be resolved its all no go!!! So I guess that there are lots of sets out there with this problem?

The set not playing the non-anamorphic discs is also a problem, so much so that they have asked him to send them a selection of discs to see what the problem is with their software!

14. supermackem

supermackem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    They really have botched up a really good lcd set with niggling errors. The yuv and the buzzing its a shame since apart from that its a really nice set.

15. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    How the hell can a major manufacturer get it so wrong on so many counts! It beggars belief.
    Do they not do any form of QC on a finished unit? If this is as widespread as it appears, then it there is no way they missed these problems unless they either bypassed the QC testing and just stuck on meaningless stickers to make it appear they did, or they are contemptuous toward their customers by adopting a carless attitude or one of "it'll do fine rightly!"

16. BLOWNIT

BLOWNIT
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    what's confusing me is that there is no buzzing at all on the old set, so if they can achieve this on one then they should be able to sort out the others.
    BLOWNIT