1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Remote Control Woes

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by WiZeR, Apr 19, 2005.

1. WiZeR

WiZeR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    After just noticing another thread about how hard Harmony remotes are to setup i thought I would post my experiences of 'Multi-Remotes' of late.....

I recieved a Harmony 688 today and, after spending the last 2hrs trying to get it to work, I'm about to throw it at the wall.

In the last month or so I have also bought a Kameleon 6in1 2nd Gen, a Holdan URC-1600 and a Cambridge Audio M1+. The Harmony had the most promise but all have turned out not to be the user friendly, easy setup, ultimate remote control solution I was looking for. My brief was:

Easy Setup
    Easy to Use
    Looks Stylish (for the missus)

Kameleon 6in1 2nd Gen: Stylish but not user friendly. I may persevere with this and try to get it to learn every function manually. Allthough I did have a problem with the mute function. Would turn mute on but not off!

Holdan URC-1600: Butt Ugly and can't handle the sky remote. The PC interface (which you pat an extra £20 for) is pointless. You can not setup the actual remote codes with it, just the layout of the buttons. This is a real Lemon and will be hitting an eBay near you soon.

Cambridge Audio M1+: Best of the bunch imo. It looks ok and is easy to use. It would be nice to name the buttons, but at this price i'm not complaining. I need to get used to the touch screen (hard to channel change without looking at the remote). Same mute problem with this remote so I guess its a problem with the TV itself. Gets a bit grubby also.

Harmony 688: Lulls you into a fals sense of security. The setup makes u think it's all going to work perfectly... It does NOT work perfectly. At this price I expect the setup to WORK. I am sure with perseverance I can get this setup right. However I am really not keen on the 'Watch TV' etc buttons. They just dont work, i'd prefer just having TV, DVD, AMP, SAT, etc. Getting the missus to press 'Device', 'Next', 'Satellite', etc will be more pain than it's worth.

I am not prepared to take the big step up to a Pronto. If I find a few free hours I may try again with the remotes I have. You can't have it all I guess.

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    What are yopu trying to control mate? the harmony is the best for the needs you list above, have you set-up activities or just devices? you must set-up activities.........also try harmony CS they are great and if you PM me your log-in i may have a look at the set-up for you.......( no promises)

3. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    WiZeR I have a harmony and I used to have a Pronto (mercifully my girl friend broke the thing). Took a while to set up the harmony but now it is working I would not have a Pronto if someone gave me one.

4. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Stick with the cambridge mate - truely a superb piece of kit, when mine went off the blink after five years of sterling service, I picked up a kameleon 6 which I found easy to configure and use but wish I could get rid of some of the 'buttons' not used in some modes as in my cambridge, also, the case gets very messy, very quickly yet despite the kameleons ease of use, I find myself yearning for the old cambridge as it has a nice solid feel to it whereas the kammy tends to feels slick and greasy with prolonged use.

5. GreenBars

GreenBars

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    WiZeR,

I can wholeheartedly recommend the Universal Remote Control URC-200. See a review here.

Good luck in your search.

6. gerbilly

gerbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    The Harmony customer centre (I believe is in Canada) is brilliant and is a shining example of customer relations. Once you have the activities buttons sorted it is dead easy. I had a M1+ it eats the batteries, is prone to buttons moving slightly and screen freeze. It is also difficult to make out and most un wife friendly and feels like a calculator.

I love the 655 and think I get more enjoyment from this purchase than I did from my DVD recorder.

7. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    Persevere with the Harmony. They can be difficult to set up to absolute perfection, but the level of usability that they can reach is far better than the opposition.