1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My PT-AE100 has gone belly up. Is the Panny really a liability?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by SanPedro, Mar 1, 2003.

1. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +503
    Like many on this forum my Panny has gone belly up. Dreaded power supply problem I think. There was a loud pop from the machine and there are no lights of any description when i switch on.

It's still under warranty (from nov last year). Thing is, what happens when the warranty has expired? I know the bulb is supposed to last 5000 hours in low power mode, but at this rate, and judging by other readers experiences, I don't think many projectors are going to reach this age.

If so many of these machines are failing at such an early age, is there not a case for a product recall or a refund? Kramer - how are your reliability findings as a whole?

Am I better off trying to persuade my local dealer that the product fails under the merchantable goods part of consumer law, rather than persisting with a product that may not make it much beyond its first year.

I know people expect a lot from consumer goods these days - like they should be indestructible or something, but I wont be a happy bunny if I end up having to spend maybe £200 - £300 a year getting my PJ fixed.

To draw a parallel I've owned around 9 Apple Macintoshes over the last 10 years. These are machines used day-in and day-out. Total problems in 11 years? One power supply, a laptop battery with a slightly iffy connection and a laser printer that has probably done around 200,000 sheets and the pages jam occasionally.

Well that's my rant for the day. So if I can change my PJ, what should I get next? Sanyo or Sony HS2 (can't stretch to HS10)

Cheers

Chris

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Chris.

Gees - that's a bummer :(

I've correlated most of the info from my recent update - I must post the updated findings. Hopefully later on tonight.

I'd say there's definitely a VERY strong case to be made here. The AE100 can well be said to be "not of merchantable quality".

Actually, I'd suggest that Panasonic SHOULD offer any & all AE100 owners a 3 year extended warranty on this unit.

I'd even think that with some lobbying they would do this in an attempt to salvage some amount of customer respect.

So anyone here feel like taking this up with Panasonic, on behalf of all "anxious" AE100 board members/owners?

Be a nice little project & appreciated by at least 130 members here.

Hope your AE100 is back in action soon :smashin:

3. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi Chris,

Sorry to read you're having trouble - Panasonic should sort it out fairly swiftly.

As for the merchantable quality issue, it's hard to estimate what percentage of the total units sold have had problems - the only ones who are likely to know are Panasonic themselves. Maybe a stealthy phone call to Multipoint (the Panny UK Service Center, AFAIK) might yield some info.

If its any consolation, it would appear (on an anecdotal basis) that once a power supply has been replaced, the machine is generally trouble free - I think there have been a couple of multiple failures, but these have been rare, on the whole.

Hompe you get sorted out soon.

Kramer,

My charitable nature prevents me from making any comment about merchantable quality, HS10's which fail to fire, and whether any brave soul might like to tackle Sony about the issue !!! :zonked: :hiya: :smashin: :clap: :rotfl:

Chat later - lots to say.

Sean G.

4. (GTV)Chris

(GTV)Chris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    My Panny is still going strong...although I still get the old flicker.
    Isn't there anything we can do..on force...to kick Panasonic up the rear???

Chris

5. Mark Robertson

Mark Robertson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks

Clock up another dead Panny. Mine went Phut! yesterday with under 250 hours on the clock.

Minimal research lead me to this forum and this thread. It is good at least to know I am not alone. I'll be contacting service centres tomorrow and will use the opportunity to see if I can find out any more than the knowledgable Mr. Kramer already knows.

Harrumph!

Mark Robertson

6. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi Mark,

Welcome to the Forums - albeit in distress !!!

Sorry to hear you've got problems, come back and let us know how you get on.

Sean G.

7. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    a general question for those with the ptae 100 do you use a surge protector with the unit? I have had mine since august last year and have clocked up about 1300 hours on low lamp mode i have a july 02 build model and have used a surge protector from day one and have had no problems(fingers & toes crossed:D ).

So i would like to know if not having a surge protector is some how contributing to the failures

8. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Chic

I have used one almost since new :)

9. Kitch

Kitch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    hi

had mine now since april 02 (march 02 model) clocked up 1400 hours
    no problems YET, never used a surge protector
    starting to get a little worried now, as the guarantee runs out next week

heres hoping

mick

10. MrCoopz

MrCoopz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Mines got 2578 hours on it

no problems touch wood :)

11. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    :eek: whats your secret then ?

12. Captain chaos

Captain chaos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe "Watchdog" would like to hear of the public's woes with the Panny A100?

13. (GTV)Chris

(GTV)Chris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I think we should contact Watchdog!!!!
    Might give Panasonic a kick up the backside.

14. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +503
    Sounds like a good idea.

Most people will be coming up, if not already passed, their first years warranty on this machine. We could soon be in a situation where Panasonic is fending off a huge number of claims from disgruntled owners whose machine has gone pop (again), or has other defects.

We all applaud Panansonic for bringing a machine of its undoubted talents into this price level. I, like many other owners, have had many pleasurable hours watching movies and TV on the big screen. You can stuff yer plasma where the sun don't shine IMHO.

But... and it's a big but, we are so used to white goods working non-stop for years that when something like this crops up it takes us back 25-30 years when things did break down all the time.

Then, however, there was a TV repair man who'd sort it for a few quid. Now it's a trip back to the factory and £200+ please.

I don't think Panansonics 'offer' of buying an extended warranty for it cuts the mustard. These problems should not be happening. It's almost as if we are beta testers.

Anyone think it a good idea to post a new thread for anyone interested in signing a petition to watchdog?

Chris

15. rattlesnake

rattlesnake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I watched an episode of watchdog a couple of nights ago. They said that they need over 500 individual complaints before they take any action.

A petition may be the way to go.

You've got my signature. Had my panny since last year (July model). A couple of month ago I noticed a slight staining on the top of the screen.
    Took the cover off last night, couldn't see anything on the LCD panels, the mirrors had a wee bit of dust on them, nothing to worry about.
    Great machine though.

I use my panny for watching sky and DVD's with the PC (1:1 maping) not sure how many hours I have clocked up, it must near 1000
    Been reading this forum for a couple of years now (phew) - had to register when the water incident came about. (there are some gullible people in this world!!)

Andy

16. MrCoopz

MrCoopz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Maybe im just a lucky one :)

Its plugged into a circuit braker and whenever i switch it off i leave it in standby mode.

And it beens like this for nearly a year.

another thing its upside down on a shelf maybe that has something to do with it ;)