My PT AE 100 picture looks soft...

SanPedro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi

Just purchased an AE 100 and at the moment the jury is out on it. Saw it at a local dealers - not a very good demo I have to say, but I was suitably impressed by general reviews and comments on this site to take a punt at it.

I had an old Liesagang LCD machine (bought 2nd hand) and the LCD panel had dust on it, the colour balance was way off and the contrast wasn't great.

But... it was a sharper image than my new Panny!!!
Detail in films now just seems to be blurred and text on the SKY menus looks just horrible (it's only through composite at present) - with fizzy edges around the text and a general murkiness to it all.

Is it a dud machine or can this be fixed in some other way?
Would an RGB to component or S-video convertor from someplace like Lektropaks cure some of this?

It's really bugging me (and my other half - who said I should send it back!!)

Your esteemed wisdom appreciated.

Chris

I am no expert on PJ's but I do know that composite is NOT good for sharp images.
What ever is wrong with it, if any thing, get a decent cable.
Component is by far the best. Have you got component outputs on your DVD. If not get a prov or similar.

AL

Pardon my ignorance but what is a 'prov'

Cheers

Chris

Pro v is a deinterlacer, if you do a search on here you will get loadsof info.

Chris,

I would return it and get a new AE200 or AE300.
I've got AE300 and the scaler is amazing (I don't think you'd need a prov with it).

Just my opinion...
Julia

Julia, how does the 300 compare to a 100 receiving a prog scan signal straight from the DVD player. As I have a PAL/NTSC prog scan player I was thinking of picking up a second hand 100.
Remember Chris you will have to import a 200 or 300.

AL

I haven't seen an AE100, but you can see an interesting comparison between them in the screenshots made at a recent PJ shootout in Seattle:
http://home.attbi.com/~stephen.gower/index.html

I've connected Sky digital to my AE300 and there were no jaggies at all and the image was just clear and sharp (and this was done through a composite conection!). I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of its scaler.

For more info and some other people experiences with AE200/AE300 read the thread
http://www.avforums.com/frame.html?...ms/showthread.php?s=&postid=362981#post362981

I don't think it's worth buying a new AE100 now when you can get a newer model with a better specification (and roughly for the same price... ):)
Julia

Thanks Julia,
Nope I wont buy a new one as it aint worth it, was looking for second user at the right price.
Was the 300 your first PJ ??

AL

i have my ptae 100 connected to my toshiba 510 via component and get progressive scan images on r1 films i am very happy with the results the picture is very smooth and film like very happy with the result

AL,

A good bargain is always welcome :D ... I've noticed AE100 on ebay for about 500 pounds... :D

But if you can afford AE300, I don't think you'd regret it...

I suppose you can guess easily from the Wow factor that AE300 is my first projector (although I've had briefly a Tosh business projector):)

I think that the smooth screen technology sets AE300 above the rest of LCDs ...
Julia

Hi Chris,

....back to you query ;) ......

If you have a look here http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=52922

you can read up a bit about the ProV. Its pretty much an essential for putting TV stuff through the Ae 100, imho.

If you're feeding the AE100 a signal via composite video, then you're really not giving it a chance to do itself justice, or to get the enjoyment out of it. Composite video, from a VCR or DVD or anything else is the bottom of the food chain in terms of picture quality. Try component video from a Dvd player, or Svideo at least;

If you have a laptop that has a dvd drive, try using that sending a XGA feed to the AE100 - you should be amazed at the result;

Try a search here fro "powerstrip" - this is a program which will allow you to set a custom resolution from a laptop or PC which will match exactly the pixel grid in the AE100 - if you get that working you'll really be on the pig's back !

Have fun.....

Sean G.

On the Seattle shootout pics there looks to be a single dead green pixel on some of the shots.

I'm guessing this is some problem on the camera rather than the PJ (it seems to move position depending on the shot:eek: ). But my question is, are dead pixels as noticeable as what you see on the shootout pics?

Big_AL007

Re: your comments regarding using a pro-v to deinterlace TV signals etc. Has the PT-AE100/300 got a deinterlacer built into it? Or is it just not very good?

Hig
I am not sure dude whichis why I asked, I am sure it is adequet but sometimes external deinterlacers and scalers are much better.

AL

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom