My PS3 can't play AVI files...please help!!!

But how would i need to change the profile of my file?

My FV HD+ box is able to play ALL my .avi files with no problems. even .mkv. why would a hi-tech "entertainment device" such as a PS3 can't even find my files let alone play it?

This is, forgive me and I can't speak for other thread-contributors, becoming a bit tiresome.

You've been told how and why multiple times, the PS3 is not a super-dooper media player, it doesn't even come close i'm afraid, but it will, with some manipulation sometimes (e.g. profile levels being "incorrect", HD containers not being "correct"), play pretty much anything.

It won't play it because the profile of that file is too high, end of. You need to alter this profile via tsMuxer or some other program. Although I would suggest just getting a different file....or indeed purchasing the movie in the first place maybe ?!

As to why it's not even showing up, well, I don't know, I'm thinking that something is amiss here even before we go into codecs ;)

But how would i need to change the profile of my file?

My FV HD+ box is able to play ALL my .avi files with no problems. even .mkv. why would a hi-tech "entertainment device" such as a PS3 can't even find my files let alone play it?

The experts have spoken.................

I mentioned the program tsmuxer to you, this can change the video profile......

I would agree its a high tech device, but even cheap 20 buk media players can play more than it can with no problems, that's just the way it is im afraid............but all is not lost, try tsmuxer..........

If you would like the PS3 to be used as a regular media player then you must review the files you have to see if they are playable, if there not, then another solution may be easier, like a cheap media player......

Good luck.................

The part in which "the PS3 can't play my file" i can quite understand because of the high profile or maybe (as Sony suggested to me) the way the file has been encoded.

The part in which "the PS3 can't see my file" still baffles me and all of you in here. its not a big deal but it would be nice if a software patch or update would fix this (in order to play ALL different types of .avi files).

on a separate query would you guys say MP4 is a "better" format in terms of chances being seen/played on the PS3 and in terms of quality and file compression?

As I mentioned above, I still think the fact it can't see the files at all is something that you're doing (or not doing) rather than the PS3.

I wouldn't agree that MP4 is a better format, but when people are saying it has a better chance to be seen, it's as simple as the PS3 better supports it. You can't improve quality of an original file, you'll only make quality worse, but yes, of course, different files can be compressed differently.

I'm still inclined to think what the Playstation customer support person i've spoken to saying that "it must be the encoding". hmm....

well, i still don't know what i'm missing here. i have downloaded an MP4 file, put it under "VIDEO" on my portable disk drive (checked it that and still (and yet again) my PS3 can't find that file.

so, that leaves with what remaining options?

please help me out here.....

I have tried that option.

only my MP3 files are showing up. my drive is FAT32. and my files are arranged as MUSIC, PHOTO and VIDEO.

i have a feeling that it might be some settings on my PS3.

A video would be even better.

Showing the drive connected to the PC and you browsing to the file you're trying to play, then connecting to the PS3 and showing browsing to the same file, that would be handy.

I also have a similar problem - my old fujifilm camera recorded video as motion jpeg (.avi) this played no problem on the ps3, and I've stored my video clips there without problems.

My camera broke and I bought a Canon SX230 (excellent camera), but the video is recorded as a quicktime file (.mov). The canon software will export this as an AVI file (motion jpeg). This time though the PS3 will not recognize the video file.

I've sent the camera back for now, as I can't resolve this issue. My old camera just plugged in and transferred, easy, this is a pain in the bum, such a shame as I was very happy wth the camera>

Any ideas people?

Rex

Thanks axum,

I'm not up on my codecs, but I assumed that the .avi was the container and the codec was motion jpeg.

both files are .avi and motion jpeg, as with everything I'm sure it's a little more complictaed.

either way it's a pain

Rex

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom