• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

My PS3 can't play AVI files...please help!!!

gino_76ph

Standard Member
Hi there

i currently have a PS3 with the latest software version installed. now i understand the PS3 can play .avi files on-the-fly.

I also happen to own a Seagate portable hard drive with .avi files on it (formatted on the Fat32 format) under the folder "video" which the PS3 supposedly can detect. but it didnt for some reason. i was wondering why. because when i insert my PHD to my laptop and my hybrid digital TV box all the files DO work very well.

so i am asking for help and advice on what to do now

emailed Divx and no help. rung Sony and they said that "it might be in a different encryption". no *#@* sherlock. (jeez where do these people take this words)

please help.
thanks.

Axum

Distinguished Member
The PS3 is detecting the HDD isn't it ?You are pressing triangle then selecting "Display All" on your HDD icon under Video aren't you ?

If so then sounds like your files might not be in the right format for the PS3 to understand.....are there a large number of files in there ? Try with just one in a folder...?

If that doesn't work then you may have to re-encode them. Have a read of the Media Guide, link below in my sig, for more media playback info.

gino_76ph

Standard Member
If i press triangle and then Display all only my MP3 files are detected. not my AVI files.

some of my files are as big as 1GB but i don't hink that relevant because from what i know the PS3 could and should play my files.

My files are in the right format. and that is the .avi format. i'm wondering why do i need to "re-encode" them. those files play perfectly on my laptop and my freeview HD box.

Lancia34

Distinguished Member
If i press triangle and then Display all only my MP3 files are detected. not my AVI files.

some of my files are as big as 1GB but i don't hink that relevant because from what i know the PS3 could and should play my files.

My files are in the right format. and that is the .avi format. i'm wondering why do i need to "re-encode" them. those files play perfectly on my laptop and my freeview HD box.

When you say it doesn't detect them, do you mean you can't even see them on the PS3? That could mean the extension isn't correct and the PS3 doesn't pick it up - you definitely in the Video section in the PS3.

I've never had any problems playing various Divx/Xvid files so they should work.

Axum

Distinguished Member
What I meant by "format" is really codec. AVI is a container, it can contain many different codecs. If you're definitely browsing the right area (doesn't sound like it to be honest as why are MP3's appearing under the Video category - they shouldn't ?) and you still can't see the files, then they may contain codecs the PS3 can't play.

Download and use MediaInfo and post up the results....if you're SURE you're under "Video" ;)

Last edited:

gino_76ph

Standard Member
I am definitely under the "video" section of my PS3 and definitely they are .avi files.

I do not know why my MP3 files are being "found" under the video section. that simply baffles me.

what do i do next please...?

gino_76ph

Standard Member
Hi

I've attached a file. contained is the mediainfo info of one of my .avi files movie "Clash of The Titans".

please advice further....

Attachments

• MediaInfo1.jpg
    MediaInfo1.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 1,047

Lancia34

Distinguished Member
You mean it's the info for one of your home-made movies don't you ;)

Have you tried streaming this file from your PC to PS3 ?

I'm no expert on codecs, although I know a lot more about HD files, but I don't like the look of the Level 5 mention in that file....

Doesn't that mean it's h264 or something? I've had trouble with h264 DivX files (don't think they are compatible)...although they should still show on the PS3, just change to "Unsupported Data" when you try to play them.

Must be the way the file is encoded that is causing the problem...

Lancia34

Distinguished Member
Axum please explain further.

or do you want me to give you more info or screen capture on my sample file?

gino - do you have any .avi files that work? You can download DivX trailers which you could test and see if they work as it might be the way the files you have are encoded.

gino_76ph

Standard Member
All my .avi files work on my laptop (via VLC player) and my hybrid FreeviewHD+ box on its own.

where can i download Divx files?

it still baffles me as to why only the MP3 files are being detected by my PS3 tho.

Axum

Distinguished Member
What happens when you click on the MP3's under Video ?

Don't worry about the files working on your laptop, it'll have all the necessary codecs and will most likely play absolutely everything (hence why people go for HTPC's for dedicated media playback!).

Just typing in "sample divx files" brings up loads in google....

Have you tried streaming the files, from your PC, via Windows Media Player or some other software (which, to be honest, is a better way of viewing media if your PC is on most of the time anyway).

themediaman

Established Member
You will see that mediainfo tells you the profile level of this file is Advanced [email protected]

The PS3 only plays 4.1 or below......................

The only tool I know for changing this is tsmuxer, and the resultant file, m2ts, would also be playable on the PS3, and it shouldn't take long............

themediaman

Established Member
Also consider HD material............................look to the future dude.........:smashin:

gino_76ph

Standard Member
I did try streaming off from my laptop (when my PHD is connected to my laptop) and it did worked. ut the last time i tried that was months ago.

I could in theory connect my PHD to my FreeviewHD+ box to stream that way (i don't want to use my PC because the fan is getting noisy now and it gets hotter that way) but how can my PS3 "see" or "talk" to my FVHD box?

themediaman

Established Member
The free view box would need to have some kind of DLNA/uPnP server on it, that would serve up the content stored on the box, and I doubt yours has this feature, there are some HD tuners that have this function built in.....check out the Media Player section............

The best form of storage IMO is a NAS, or a server, like the HP Proliant Micro-server, both of these will allow you to access your files on the PS3 without having your PC on, however, only the Micro server could trans-code your files on the fly...........

So you would need to think about playable formats. Personally I have a dedicated media player, but used to use the PS3. If you had HD mkv files only, like me, then you could use mkv2vob to quickly repack the video and audio for playback, then use a NAS to serve up the files................so a cheaper option than the Micro-server..............

gino_76ph

Standard Member
The reason why i want to play these freakin' AVI files off my PS3 so it saves me from turning-on multiple devices thus saving precious electricity.

My FreeviewHD+ box has DLNA built-in btw.

so, what's next?

themediaman

Established Member
The reason why i want to play these freakin' AVI files off my PS3 so it saves me from turning-on multiple devices thus saving precious electricity.

My FreeviewHD+ box has DLNA built-in btw.

so, what's next?

The FVBox may possess a DLNA Client, so you can play stuff on it over the network, so from your PC to it, just like the PS3..........I could be wrong though........and it may be server......

However, as mentioned, will the FVBox have sufficient spec to trans-code for playback, unlikely..........

I cant see a problem with the file you posted for example, apart from the profile, change this down to 4.1 or below and it should play fine.........

Search your AVI archive and find one with a similar audio and video codecs and a profile of 4.1 or below and see it it plays............

gino_76ph

Standard Member
But how would i need to change the profile of my file?

My FV HD+ box is able to play ALL my .avi files with no problems. even .mkv. why would a hi-tech "entertainment device" such as a PS3 can't even find my files let alone play it?

Lancia34

Distinguished Member
But how would i need to change the profile of my file?

My FV HD+ box is able to play ALL my .avi files with no problems. even .mkv. why would a hi-tech "entertainment device" such as a PS3 can't even find my files let alone play it?

This is where I'm completely lost. I have had .avi files that wouldn't play on my PS3 but they would always show up under video no matter what (even .mkv files show up but obviously cannot be played). I can't think of why they wouldn't show up, especially when on a USB drive formatted correctly.

It's all a little strange. I can understand some files not playing but I have to say that I stream everything to my PS3s (a 60Gb Phat and a slim), it's my main device and 99.9% of the time have never had any problems, same with all my friends who have similar setups :confused:

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom