My projector and connection conundrum!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by p5yco, Sep 7, 2007.

1. p5yco

p5yco
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I am having some connection problems and was hoping you guys could sort me out and tell me exactly what i need to do and get. i have an infocus 4805, pioneer 575, xbox 360 and a freeview box. i am hoping to be able to connect all these to my pj at once. i currently have the dvd player connected up via component video, and the freeview by svideo. my main concern is pq on dvd. how can i link the 360 into this, can i use the spare vga/dvi port with an adapter for the 360, or can i get a dvd player with hdmi and use that port with an adapter to free up the component for 360? the last option would be to use composite for the 360 but im sure this wouldnt look too great! any cables i need to get will be 15m in length. PLEASE HELP!!:lease:

2. p5yco

p5yco
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Anyone?

3. dun_buyin

dun_buyin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    do you have an av amp? does it provide av i/o? If you are just using a projector as your display device then you could use this as a switch or buy a standalone many to one av connection switch device. If you are outputing to a TV and PJ you would need a switcher with 2 outputs. http://www.keene.co.uk advertise on here and seem to have a range that may do what you want.

4. p5yco

p5yco
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    i think it does yes, so would i have one component from amp to projector, and the other two devices into the amp?

5. p5yco

p5yco
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    on infocus website they have an m1 to hdmi adapter, would this allow me to connect a dvd player to my pj via hdmi?

6. dun_buyin

dun_buyin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Check your av amp. Mine will take s-video composite or component inputs and output them to one single component output. If yours does this and your sources can connect to the amp then you should just need a single connection to the projector. The connector on the infocus site just seems to be a converter for an hdmi cable into a proprietory digital connection on the projector - it didn't look like you currently had a hdmi capable device from your original post so unless you changed your dvd player to one with hdmi output I'm not sure it is of use to you.

7. p5yco

p5yco
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    unfortunately i have rather an old amplifier, its a yamaha htr-5550rds, i looked in the manual briefly and i believe it can convert two component sources into one output to the pj? how exactly does this work, how do you select the source, is it the same ways as i would select the sound? the adapter i was considering as i could get a dvd player with hdmi, which would also solve my problem if that is what that particular adapter does? cheers for your help mate.

8. dun_buyin

dun_buyin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I don't have a 360 so don't know how it outputs but if it has component output, then connect that to one set of inputs on your amp. Connect the dvd player to the other input on your amp and then connect the component output on the amp to the projector. You should then be able to setup the amp so that when you select DVD as the source for sound then it also switches the output to the projector to be the DVD and does the same when the source input is changed to the one that corresponds to the xbox. You would keep the existing svideo connection to the pj from your freeview box and that should be ok. Borrow some extra component cables from somwhere to make sure it all works as it should. Not sure about your amp and what changes you may need to make to the configuration but nothing ventured nothing gained.

9. p5yco

p5yco
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    yes the 360 does output with a component connection. my receiver has two component inputs, one named dvd and the other cable/tv and one component output named monitor out. so i am guessing that if i connect my dvd to the dvd input, my xbox to the one named cable/tv both via component. then if i connect my amp to my pj via the monitor output, then all should be ok, i think im correct? may nip out tomorrow and get a cheap set of component leads and try it out. i guess i will nee to connect the optical out on xbox and coaxial out on dvd to corresponding terminals for the sound? however, my optical connection on amp is labelled cd, so would this mean the switching wouldnt work when i select cable/tv for video? sorry if im confusing you!!

10. p5yco

p5yco
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    just thought i would let you know that all is setup today ok, used component switching on my amp to solve the problem. playing on the 360 looks and sounds awesome now! cheers