1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My problem - your choice of PJ

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Markatlarks, Jan 10, 2003.

1. Markatlarks

Markatlarks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have read with great interest all the info. in this forum and after 5 days of reading I know that you guys are the ones to ask this question of.

Problem:
    I want to convert my spare room (16ft long 14ft wide 7.5 foot high) into a TV room for watching TV/VCR/DVD/SKY by using a front projector. Which Projector would you recommend (and why if possible).

Personal Viewing Profile :

Football, Cricket, Rugby ....... ie Sport
    Old B+W movies
    Movies on SKY
    General TV

I havent got a DVD player or HCPC ( I am a computer man/ System builder) but I will get there as stage 2. (I will be back to ask that question after you have answered this question first!)

Parameters:

Budget £2,500 but cost is less important than value for money and medium term compatibility.
    Dont want CRT projector. As for size shape etc - I dont care.

Having looked at the forum I find myself interested in the following: Sony VW11/VW12 (over budget), Panasonic PT-AE100 (I am worried about the drift of the forum chat on unstable PSUs for this machine). Also where iss the best place (UK or Import) to acquire the PJ?

Many thanks

Mark Roberts

2. marcw

marcw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been doing lots of reading here and elsewhere too, was originally looking at the Panny AE100 and Sanyo Z1 but decided against them due to screendoor on both and apparent reliability problems on the Z1...

What about the Sony HS10? It's within your budget, has favourable perception from the owners on these forums, and is recent technology... Also, has apparently got better contrast than the 11/12HT (or so I understand? Please don't flame me as I'm new to this... Although I'm going to pick my HS10 up tomorrow!!!! Can't wait!!!!)

Food for thought?

3. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm not so new to these forums but in a similar position. I already have a Panny 100 (still working touch wood!) Of all the reviews and chat I've seen lately I'd go for the Sony 12HT. I've already seen the 10HT and the 11HT and the 12 improves on both. But the price!!! After everyones experiences with Panny I would avoid any of their home cinema offerings for the present and I've also been hearing about a few problems with the HS 10 so same caveat.

So I'm waiting until the HS 12 comes down from the curent stratospheric levels. Next year it'll be last years model and a more sensible price. With the economic situation going rapidly pear shaped I reckon I won't be the only one waiting which will only hasten the price drop to more sensible levels.

4. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm currently looking at the Sony 10HT... I'll let you know how that turns out. You can pick it up for a bit over £2100.

What about the NEC HT1000? That works out at about £3200 from ivojo.co.uk and has a very good review on projectorcentral. It's DLP based and a step up from the 10HT (if you can handle the possible rainbows).

The Optoma H50 (also available from ivojo) is about £2500, DLP based, and had some good reviews. I've never seen one working myself though.

If you're looking for general viewing, maybe you should take lamp life into consideration. The Philips Garbo Matchline has a 6000 hour lamp life but i'm not sure what it looks like in action. It's only £1800 but not in the same league as the NEC HT1000.

Don't forget to budget for a screen as well.

I guess it's always tempting to wait for something newer so this year's stuff will reduce in price. Mind you, if we did that for computers, projectors, hifi, then you wouldn't end up with anything. If I was you I would:

Spend 75% of my absolute maximum budget on the best you can now and save the other 25% towards a future upgrade.

5. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi Mark,

Welcome to the Forum.

Timh will kill me for this !! :D :D

With that budget, I'd definitely go for the HS10 - you should have enough left over (about £300) to build a basic HCPC for playing dvds, giving yourself the best possible picture quality available in your price range. You can build yourself a homemade screen for very little - lots of posts here on "how to". You can route your Sky/TV signal via Svideo or composite, or consider getting a ProV, or upgrade your PC to to the scaling and deinterlacing using a capturecard and appropriate software now or later. The PC optio would require higher processing ability, software tweaking and some flexibility with your budget - lots of advice already on HCPC side of forum.

If you also have to supply yourself with a sound system to go in your room, you would probably be best to go for a Sanyo Z1, at £1200-£1300, £300 for a HCPC and the balance on a sound system - I can't make recommendations on this but further reading on other parts of the forum should yield you good advice ( or get yourself the gear 2nd hand from the classifieds part of the forum).

I have an AE100 and am very happy with it, but at this stage of development I wouldn't recommend that you enter with it here - on your budget the minimum entry PJ would prob be the Z1.

I don't agree with Dubbing Mixer that the Sony 12HT will be sufficiently reduced in price next year - it is currently about £5000, and a halving of that price is a long way to fall. I think it more likely that Sony will supercede the 12HT with an improved flagship model, and that the 12HT will be discontinued in the same way as the 10HT and 11HT have been discontinued before it. This is just personal opinion, and I'm certainly not trolling at Dubbing Mixer ;) .

With the room size available, support from her indoors (!) and that kind of budget with a little flexibility, you should be up and running in no time.

Looking forward to hearing how you get on,

Good luck,

Sean G.

6. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Sean [​IMG]
    I would have to agree with Sean on the projector choice, not sure about using a PC, a bit to much hassle for most people, and the ProV is overated IMHO.

7. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Tim,

Ever a source of descriptive smilies, I ignore and am serene.

Yes I agree for lots of folk hcpc can be a hassle, but if Mark is computer guy, then its a no-brainer to build a pc as a dedicated dvd player, imho. If he concluded that he didn't want a PC, then prog scan dvd would be the obvious next best route to DVI into the HS10.

We can agree too disagree on the ProV. There are times with a poor tv signal quality that it looks fairly krap, but I wouldn't be without it for day to day dvd via Svideo.

When my daughter asks for a movie on the big screen, she knows I'm going to watch it too 'cause I plug in my laptop for best quality !!

Sean G.

8. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys ;)

Kramer's back in "da" house (the HS-10 equiped house!).

The Pro V is USELESS with the HS-10. If fed a 1024x768 XGA signal, the HS10 will only give a 4:3 ratio picture.

Given the poster's budget/options, the only choice is a HS10. Within budget, unbelieveable value :eek: , & will more than appreciate a "source" upgrade.

12HT may improve black level etc... but for > 2.5 times the price, I doubt it will be dramatically better.

My preferences would be PLV-Z1 on a budget. HS10 around £2/£2.5 - beyond that, wait another while for affordable 3 chip DLPs.

Just watched Predator tonite (& some more HD clips).

All I can is WOW!

9. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Thanks for the recommendation John:D

Quite agree the Matchline isn't quite in the same league as the NEC, but then again it isn't in the same price bracket either ;).

Markatlarks,
    All of the models mentioned will give good results. Each has strengths and weaknesses.

Just for reference, I demo'd the standard Garbo against the Sony HS10 for a Lancashire based dealer chain just before Christmas. The dealers conclusion was that the Sony had it on resolution (of course), but the Philips Garbo looked a more natural picture whilst at the same time looking brighter. Their words, not mine. But I was very happy with the outcome :).

If you get the opportunity, go for demo's of any of the projectors shortlisted above. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Good luck

10. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    TheRitz,

Sorry if I implied I thought the 12 would be down to the same price level as the HS10 next year. I think it will, as you say, follow the pattern of the 10 and 11. I.e. they will supercede it and the run-out model will be 3.5 to 4k in the UK. Still far too much but more bearable than 5k+. But I also see signs of prices in the UK generally reducing due to the economic situation and the number of people who now do personal import to get a better deal.

Meanwhile, if the HS10 proves to be reliable I'd go for that if I didn't already have an AE100. If the AE100 dies, then I'll think again.

11. Markatlarks

Markatlarks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Many thanks to all of you for your help.

I am now researching all the bright and (come) intelligent ideas...........

I must now add Sanyo to my list.

I will report back with my conclusion.
    xx