My problem with JVC... - Now rectified. Thank you!

DrGekko

Prominent Member
Reaction score
After I read all the glowing reveiws about JVC projectors in general a couple of years ago and their reference black levels, I was convinced that for their price point, nothing better existed. After purchasing an ex-demo HD750 from Home Cinema Centre in Edinburgh, I was very pleased indeed. The bulb had already shone for 700 hours or so before I owned it and since then I've spent another 300 or so hours.

Unfortunately, just after the 12 month warranty on the ex-demo unit expired, it developed the familiar "magenta vertical line" issue - now most people who've enjoyed movies with me haven't noticed it. But to me, it sticks out like a sore thumb and gradually, it has become more annoying. I have very little time so movie watching for me is a real indulgence. I love my sound system and until recently, I was loving the visual experience - each time I watch a movie now, it feels that I'm missing out, be it relatively small but nonetheless, I feel cheated of my money and time.

The reason for my increased annoyance isn't primarily because of the fault itself but mainly because I believe it's been swept under the carpet by the manufacturing giant. I contacted the dealer and they spoke to JVC on my behalf. I was told that JVC suggested I could send my faulty unit back and purchase another HD750 refurbished unit with 500 hours on the clock for £550. Presently, I didn't think it was worth it, considering what's available brand new for around £1500 and also the hassle of replacing the unit physically, recalibrating etc. I believe I should have been offered a better deal than that to be honest or at least a significant reduction on a newer model from JVC, especially as this seems to be a manufacturing issue. So they sell me duff product and I'm asked to buy another potentially duff product again?!

What has fueled my temper further is the fact that an installer friend of mine who sells JVCs and demo's them, asked me if I wanted to purchase his X70 at a discounted rate as he was replacing this with an Epson model - he was sent the X70 from JVC because his 'X90 died'!!!!??? Come on JVC - what's going on here?

And to prove that it's not just my problem...

http://www.avforums.com/forums/proj...hd750-thread-owners-reviews-etc-part-4-a.html

Rant over. Back to work. :mad:

Update 21st June 2013

Quick update.

JVC arranged for Sontec to repair my unit at a discounted rate of £125 + VAT. They received the unit on 10th June repaired it this week - it's being delivered today.

JVC & Sontec customer service has been pretty good, easy to communicate with and very polite. I'm very grateful that the repair was discounted for a unit out of warranty.

It does concern me still that I'm not the only owner of a faulty unit on these forums and begs the question about build quality/performance and brand reputation.

Latest updates - see last post

Last edited:
Have you contacted Trading Standards? If there is an inherant fault, and it is showing itself
In your particular JVC, then they may advise you of your best course of action.

A good long while ago I had a large JVC TV which needed a new tube just 15 months after purchase. I bought it from Tempo who had subsequently gone bust so I had to deal with JVC on good will alone.
Their initial offer was £390 for a new tube fitted on a TV that had been £599. A combination of a polite letter explaining my "disappointment with the quality of my TV" coupled with a few choice phrases like "reasonable quality" and "not fit for purpose" and a couple of follow up calls to check they'd received the letter resulted in a "good will gesture" of a free replacement tube.
I had to pay the authorised repairer £90 in labour but as that included collecting the TV from E8, taking it to Surrey for repair and then delivering it to my parents in Surrey I considered it a fair deal.
I had a similar experience with Canon and an out of warranty camera which got "go away it's out of warranty" down to "£130 to repair it" to "£65 to repair it" (if you stop calling me :) ).

A bit of polite persistence can get them to make a better offer. A lot of people will simply give in after the inital blow off but if you make it clear you're trying to be reasonable and won't go away they they may make you a better offer. I would start with the dealer, just because it was exdemo doesn't mean it shouldn't last like a new product.

Good luck!

A bit of polite persistence can get them to make a better offer. A lot of people will simply give in after the inital blow off but if you make it clear you're trying to be reasonable and won't go away they they may make you a better offer. I would start with the dealer, just because it was exdemo doesn't mean it shouldn't last like a new product.

Good luck!

I appreciate your advice - I think you're right. Honestly, I feel quite aggrieved and really fobbed off to be honest. What sparked the fire was watching the AVForums Reference Home Cinema video featuring the UK Manager being interviewed. "Great plug for JVC" I thought and then felt a little bitter regarding my situation. Anyway, I've mailed Dan @ The Home Cinema Centre... I doubt I'll receive any favourable response but at least it's worth a try.

Quick update.... after taking advice as above, I mailed the UK Manager, Steve Carter and the general customer support department. After a couple of days, I received a response basically to say my frustration was understood and as a gesture of goodwill, I could send my HD750 (at my expense) to Son-Tech to be repaired at a discounted rate of £125 + vat.

I've responded with my concerns that the waiting time for repair may be quite a while (no projector = family & friends upset for too long) and that according to what folk have said so far about the optical block, repair was in fact not economically viable? I've requested whether they can simply replace my unit for another refurbished one and that I'll pay towards the courier costs - based on the fact that I've only used 300 hours myself and the lamp has more than half of its life remaining and also because the fault occured within a few weeks of the warranty running out. Let's see what response follows...

Latest update - my options are either to go ahead & book the repair of the the optical block rather than replacement (which is not economically viable) or purchase a refurbished unit for £550, knowing that it has 1300 hours on the clock and that the lamp will have lost some brightness.

I enquired about lamp brightness and whether my lamp could be replaced either for free - I was told that as a gesture of goodwill, I could purchase a replacement lamp at a discounted "trade" price of £270 + VAT.

This seems a little steep after a google search revealed that new lamps could be sought from around £150!

http://www.theplasmacentre.com/lampinfo/JVC/DLA-HD750/6018826

I'm going to book the repair and purchase a new lamp (I'll give JVC the opportunity of supplying the lamp at the same price if possible) and ask JVC if they can instruct Sontec to replace the lamp whilst it's being repaired. I'm hoping they'll agree to this.

I'm even tempted to speak to Sontec myself and see what arrangement I can come to. So far this is costing me quite a lot of time and frustration.

Last edited:
Just to state, that to my understanding, the optical block cannot be repaired. When we talk about "repair" of the optical block, it means repair of the projector with the replacement of the optical block. I am assuming 125 + VAT is a fixed rate charge regardless of the actual repair cost. As optical blocks are so expensive, in the past JVC UK used to replace projectors rather than repair them. This is still sometimes the case for the higher end models. But as optical block failure seemed to be fairly frequent for the 350/750 etc JVC UK bought some into stock.

I would prefer to get a repair with a new optical block than swap for another reconditioned one that may or may not have had its block changed!! At least you should have a good run before or if it ever happens again.

Just to state, that to my understanding, the optical block cannot be repaired. When we talk about "repair" of the optical block, it means repair of the projector with the replacement of the optical block. I am assuming 125 + VAT is a fixed rate charge regardless of the actual repair cost. As optical blocks are so expensive, in the past JVC UK used to replace projectors rather than repair them. This is still sometimes the case for the higher end models. But as optical block failure seemed to be fairly frequent for the 350/750 etc JVC UK bought some into stock.

I would prefer to get a repair with a new optical block than swap for another reconditioned one that may or may not have had its block changed!! At least you should have a good run before or if it ever happens again.

Thanks for that - will ask Sontec exactly what they've been asked to do.

Sontec, in conjunction with JVC, have developed a repair process for these Optical Blocks, and any that fail out of warranty can now be repaired. They normally charge £195 +VAT & carriage for this, but we have agreed a concessionary rate of £125 +VAT for DrGekko's unit. The repair also includes a full test and internal clean.

Regarding the lamps, be VERY careful about purchasing lamps from anything other than an official JVC supplier. Many of the Internet suppliers actually supply copies, even when they claim that they are genuine, and we've had several cases recently where poor quality lamps have blown the Ballast Board in the projector. This results in a bill of around £250 (plus another lamp).

Sontec, in conjunction with JVC, have developed a repair process for these Optical Blocks, and any that fail out of warranty can now be repaired. They normally charge £195 +VAT & carriage for this, but we have agreed a concessionary rate of £125 +VAT for DrGekko's unit. The repair also includes a full test and internal clean.

Regarding the lamps, be VERY careful about purchasing lamps from anything other than an official JVC supplier. Many of the Internet suppliers actually supply copies, even when they claim that they are genuine, and we've had several cases recently where poor quality lamps have blown the Ballast Board in the projector. This results in a bill of around £250 (plus another lamp).

Thanks for this explanation and authoritative clarification. I've been mailing Sontec without getting any meaningul explanations. I presume you work for Sontec? I'll be purchasing a new lamp from them and have this fitted at the same time as the repair.

Thanks for this explanation and authoritative clarification. I've been mailing Sontec without getting any meaningul explanations. I presume you work for Sontec? I'll be purchasing a new lamp from them and have this fitted at the same time as the repair.

Gary works for JVC and has been very helpful on the forums.

I didn't know about this new ability to repair the optical block rather than replace it. This is fairly recent. So I hope your repair goes well and look forward to hearing a hopefully positive report once you get it back! There is useful info here for anyone who experiences this fault with their optical block. Previously, out of warranty, we assumed the projector was ready for the scrap heap (or a very cheap sale). At least there is a reasonable cost resolution available now even if it is most unfortunate this issue seems to be happening.

With a system as great a yours I'd see this as an opportunity to upgrade the pj. Of course, get it repaired but then I'd look for a brighter pj and perhaps one with 3d and lens memory?

£125 + vat still seems a lot to pay for repair given that the fault is perhaps in the design. Add to that the price of a new bulb and think about the pj's depreciated worth.

Jvc's have superb native blacks. I became quite sensitive to motion when viewing on a larger 4 mtr screen. I'd seriously consider the x35 or x55 if sticking to jvc. Perhaps offer jvc a trade in and get a discount on a newer model with higher lumens.

Ps. May need to speak to you in relation to a speaker upgrade to MK's.... I've got the bug!

£125 + vat still seems a lot to pay for repair given that the fault is perhaps in the design. Add to that the price of a new bulb and think about the pj's depreciated worth... I'd seriously consider the x35 or x55 if sticking to jvc. Perhaps offer jvc a trade in and get a discount on a newer model with higher lumens.

To be honest, that's what was after wasn't offered it. I don't mind spending £150 for the repair... and I'm even considering replacing the lamp for £300. So about £500 including courier I guess.... this compared to spending £5k on another projector? Can't really, especially as I rely on my wife to rear the kids! :laugh:

I'm just grateful that JVC have recognised an inherent fault with the optical blocks and offered me a repair path. Would I consider investing in the brand again? Well let's see what the competition offers in future. I also tend to feel that JVC is heavily promoted on the forums in general - the Sony that you have looks excellent. I guess folks must demo projectors before buying too rather than rely on reviews.

Ps. May need to speak to you in relation to a speaker upgrade to MK's.... I've got the bug!

PM me and we'll discuss. ;)

Quick update.

JVC arranged for Sontec to repair my unit at a discounted rate of £125 + VAT. They received the unit on 10th June repaired it this week - it's being delivered today.

JVC & Sontec customer service has been pretty good, easy to communicate with and very polite. I'm very grateful that the repair was discounted for a unit out of warranty.

It does concern me still that I'm not the only owner of a faulty unit on these forums and begs the question about build quality/performance and brand reputation.

Quick update.

:) You should have held back updating the topic summary line until you actually receive it and make sure it hasn't come back with chunks taken out of it and actually works properly. I hope very much it is fully resolved.

I think for the mostpart the projectors from JVC are reliable. Clearly however, there was a potential design flaw in the generation of projector you have that didn't show up in testing and so is only being seen years later. At least there is a reasonably priced cure now for this rather than a new optical block. I do know that JVC do long run tests on their projector in a hot and humid room...a worst case scenario. But clearly this never showed up for them in Japan when they tested it.

Unfortunately, projectors are pushing technology to their limits. In particular, there is a lot crammed in these boxes under fairly extreme heat conditions. I expect a lot of these problems to go away when we can do away with bulbs altogether (e.g. lasers). A modern LCD/LED TV is expected to be good for 20,000+ hours of operation. I think you would be hard pushed to get a projector still performing well at half that.

Glad you're sorted Dr G! :clap:

PJ's are a bit like cars.

Sometimes you love them, sometimes you hate them.

But once you've owned one, you can't imagine being without one! :smashin:

I re-installed the projector yesterday afternoon and have spent a couple of hours re-adjusting the zoom/shift and focus to correctly display the image on my screen - all sorted thankfully. I've really missed watching movies for 2 weeks and it feels so refreshing again!! Image looks lovely and clean. Excellent job from Sontec.

Does the picture seem as dark?

Same as before for certain movies, others looks superb - I was told brightness levels diminish slightly after 600 hours or so and so re-calibration may be useful after that. I had mine calibrated when it had already reached 700 hours so I'll continue with it until lamp really starts fading approaching 2000 hours (probably take me 2 years to be honest).

I re-installed the projector yesterday afternoon and have spent a couple of hours re-adjusting the zoom/shift and focus to correctly display the image on my screen - all sorted thankfully. I've really missed watching movies for 2 weeks and it feels so refreshing again!! Image looks lovely and clean. Excellent job from Sontec.

Good to hear Sontec did a good job :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom