My Powered Speakers are really quiet

I was given a pair of 200W Yorkville NX25P powered speakers

I have been using them solely for watching movies outdoors with a pop-up projector setup. But I have the volume cranked up and some movies are just too quiet outdoors.
My projector has an old 3.5mm TRS audio out, which I connect to a monoprice passive direct box (by stage right), this pushes sound out through 2 25' runs of XLR to the speakers' line in input.
I have the level turned all the way up

What would be a quick and cheap solution to get more sound out of these speakers when the source audio has low levels? I think I just need to add some gain but admittedly, I have very little knowledge in this area

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
It sounds like the signal requires amplification in order to bring the volume up to the correct level (similar to the turntable)

What projector do you have and what input options do you have the powered speakers?

After a bunch of research, I was told that my problem may be that my projector is outputting consumer line level (-10dB), while the active speakers are expecting a professional line level (+4dB)

If what I need is to convert consumer to pro levelaudio, then these two products are the cheapest I found

Rolls MB15-B Stereo RCA To Balanced XLR Converter

Samson S-Convert S Class Mini -10 to +4dB Audio Converter | The Rock Room | Reverb

Not sure if this is what I need, though
There are also much cheaper "phono turntable" amplifiers that just seem to crank the gain up on an audio signal.

My projector is an optoma with an 3.5mm audio out. I'd have to take it down to look at the model. But looking online they all seem to have roughly the same interface. I doubt any of them are putting out pro line level audio

dogfonos

It sounds like the signal requires amplification in order to bring the volume up to the correct level

I was told that my problem may be that my projector is outputting consumer line level (-10dB), while the active speakers are expecting a professional line level (+4dB)

I suspect this is the case. It seems you have tried increasing the speaker's line level input gain control to max? If that still didn't give enough gain then I think the two products you linked should do the job. Trying to drive 25 ft long cables from the projector's line out, via the passive direct injection box (which may introduce slight signal strength losses) might be pushing the projector's output stage capabilities.

The turntable phono amp is not a viable alternative as it will also add strong EQ (RIAA) and, quite probably, the output from the projector will overload the phono amp input resulting in significant distortion.

Thank you, when you mention the line in level, I'm afraid you might be looking at the second iteration of the yorkville nx25p (nx25p-2). The ones I have are labeled "legacy series" on their site.

Maybe if you can make sense of the schematic on the back of these speakers, do you think that reversing the xlr and using the "mic input" would give me more control? or do you still think that I should be using one of these consumer to pro level converters?

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
Maybe if you can make sense of the schematic on the back of these speakers, do you think that reversing the xlr and using the "mic input" would give me more control? or do you still think that I should be using one of these consumer to pro level converters?

I did think that as it has a dial with gain, the only issue that might happen here is it may also add unwanted noise thus not creating the correct effect

I feel the best course of action is to look at an amplifier which boosts the signal (even though I did mention a turntable amp - this was for illustration). My advice would be to contact the manufacturer of the speakers to see what they suggest as I'm sure they will have a working process in place. Simply drop them an email and wait until they reply

dogfonos

when you mention the line in level, I'm afraid you might be looking at the second iteration of the yorkville nx25p (nx25p-2). The ones I have are labeled "legacy series" on their site.

You're right, I was looking at the newer Mk2 version. However, your 'legacy' version also has a level control immediately above the power switch (it's marked as 'level' on the schematic). If this level control is set to maximum (i.e. turned fully clockwise - and from what you say, it already is) and you still don't get enough gain then you could try using the microphone input though microphones have considerably lower output than typical line level devices. Not only that but microphone outputs vary greatly so it depends on the type of microphone the speakers' microphone input was designed for whether the microphone input will work in this instance.

When using the microphone input, start with both the 'mic gain' control and the 'level' control at minimum (to avoid any damage). May also be a good idea to reduce any other gain/volume controls in the signal chain such as any volume /gain controls on the direct injection box and the projector itself (if it has one) then, with audio playing from the projector, gradually increase the speaker 'level' control in the first instance then when (or if) that has max'd out, start gradually increasing the 'mic gain' control.

You may be able to find a workable solution by playing around with all volume/gain controls in the signal path. If not, it seems the devices you mention in post#3 would be the answer when feeding the speakers' line input.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom