1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my (potential) new HCPC - a sceptic speaks

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by rsvrmille, Jul 15, 2003.

1. rsvrmille

rsvrmille

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now i was going to buy a denon dvd2900 but after reading the thread it seems that HCPC connected by dvi to a projector is going to be better!? Is this really the case? It will also be used for sound via digital out to a cine amp. (will the sound really be as good as from a dvd?)

anyhow, here is my draft specs. any thoughts on improvements/areas where i can save cash.

i'm using it primarily for 2 things, 1 to watch dvds and 2 to play games on a 7ft screen!! :)

Asus A7V8X-X 47.59
    AMD Athlon "Barton" XP2800+ 333FSB 129.19
    Winbond CH-5 512MB DDR PC3200 CAS 2.5 x2 152.52
    Zalman CNPS7000-AlCu Ultra-Quiet CPU Cooler 36.25
    M-Audio Revolution 7.1 PCI Sound Card 72.79
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 120GB 8MB Cache 80.96
    Hercules 3D Prophet 9500 Pro 128MB TV-Out DVI 167.44
    Cherry CyBo@rd Digital Wireless Keyboard & Mouse 66.09
    Global win 320w PSU (22db!) 58.75
    LiteON 16x DVD-ROM - Retail 25.85
    Lian Li PC-60 Aluminium Midi-Tower 85.19
    Teac 3.5" Floppy Disk Drive 9.87

Grand total 932.49

I do have a case spare i could use (full tower tho and turquoise! - don't ask!) and I could swap out the cpu for a xp2100 which o/cs easily (133>166fsb) to a xp2800. this would save another £160

2. WebLoader

WebLoader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you could save yourself about £100 and buy a cheaper radeon (7500 will do!)

cheers

3. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    7500 is fine but...

Definitely recommend a better card if gaming is a major consideration - FSAA & AA are very important with a 7/8' image.

1366x768 is a relatively high res with UT2K3 etc..

9500Pro recommended, even better a 9700NP/Pro or 9800.

:)

4. Loafer316

Loafer316
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Seems great however..havn't really seen or heard of Globalwin PSU's...i's suggest maybe a Antec 330w Truepower, FSP (Fortron/Sparkle) 350w or a Seasonic 300w PSU for that much cash. i have the Fortron and its great.

5. rsvrmille

rsvrmille

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    at minimum i want a 9500, are there any other manufacturers who make better ati cards than hercules? any places do them cheap??

6. rsvrmille

rsvrmille

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
  8. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    The 9500 and above have much better hardware mpeg decodeing, so good choice. I would avoid AMD based solutions for HTPC use for the same reasons RME do with audio PC's, the chances of something not working quite right are far greater.

9. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,714
    Would suggest maybe a Pentium 4 2.4C CPU with an Abit IC7 motherboard and some Geil PC3500 Platinum DDR Ram (512MB). The CPU is easily overclockable to 3Ghz , I reckon that combination is hard to beat at the moment to be honest. I'd agree with Kramer, if gaming is important get the best card you can afford, the 9800 Pro can be had for £280 inc from theoverclockingstore.co.uk which is a bit of a bargain. Apart from that can't argue really..
    HTH

Cheers,
    Andy.

10. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldn't ;)

11. GaryRees

GaryRees

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there a known problem with RME and AMD?

I'm using an Athlon 2600XP and was considering a new RME soundcard.

12. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    I wonder how many H3D owners with AMD based PC's changed to Intel? Not worth the hassle mate.

13. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256

No specific problems that I know of, it might work fine, then again it might not, thats the problem. Its not the CPU thats the issue, its the chipset. Intel make great chipsets and most importantly they stick to the standards. I guess they have a head start since its mostly them who sets the standards in the first place.

14. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nothing wrong with the nForce chipset - only chipset (ATM) supporting 5.1 encoding IIRC.

Via chipsets have been used in Intel boards too you know.

99% of problems are due to user ineptitude IMO - easier to blame it on hardware sometimes.

Intel/AMD - both equally suitable for HCPC/PCs in general.

:smoke:

15. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    The NForce chipset is getting a lot better after a dodgy start, still too early to say IMO.

Yes I knew about Via chipsets for Intel boards, I would avoid these like the plague also.

16. Steve Bate

Steve Bate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    As an EAP member for the H3D just about all of the problems were down to non-Intel chipsets, those with Intel were on the whole OK. Most non Intel used Via and they had nothing but trouble.

Not just IMHO!!

If you're definately building a HTPC go with known stable components it's just one thing less to go wrong, Kramer is right to a degree there's a lot of user error involved, not just poor hardware but if you go for known stable configurations you're maximising your chances of having a bombproof HTPC without the need for constant tinckering (unless of course you want to :D )

Steve

17. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Errrrr hang on a second.

AMD CPU and associated chipsets are perfectly suitable for use in a HTPC. It is true that you need to be a little more aware of which chipset to go for, but to be fair, intel have brought out some real dog chipsets - let's not forget that.

There is no reason why a technically competent PC builder could not intelligently buy components and end up with a more cost effective solution than simply blindly buying intel.

I'm currently using an SIS chipset in my HTPC and it runs perfectly stably and has so for 3 years. I used an AMD chipset before that and that ran fine as well.

Intel do have a reputation for stability but I'm not sure the extra cash is justified. If you know what you're doing and what you're going to do, there's no reason why an AMD solution can't work well.

18. Steve Bate

Steve Bate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I didn't state that AMD wasn't a good or viable solution, just to ensure you buy a stable platform for chipset/processor.

If he was putting a Holo3D card in I would say categorically avoid non Intel chipsets, there were problems with non Intel, fact.

For most users tho' you are right the most cost effective solution will be AMD based.

Steve

19. GaryRees

GaryRees

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So who's to blame for problems with the Holo3D? The people who build chipsets for AMD systems or the people who built the Holo3D for relesing a product onto the market which had not been properly tested using - lets face it - pretty common components.

20. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    If the products work perfectly with an Intel board Immersive have done their job.

Digital Connection in the US who are one of the very few professional HTPC builders won't touch AMD. Probably the best business decision they ever made.

21. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As a business decision, you are probably right since they are able to pass on the extra costs to their consumers and they can not afford to risk low reliability due to support costs, reputation etc.

However, most readers of this forum are looking for advice on a home solution and for the majority of readers a cost effective solution is desirable. The support requirement becomes a moot point because most readers mess around with their systems themselves anyway, and half the fun is researching the various points.

I think there is little point in this debate. Both can be good solutions. The AMD one is more cost effective for the home user who is technically able to understand the issues.

If you won't touch AMD personally - fine - but remember the saying that an engineer is a person who can do for a shilling what any fool can do for a pound.

:D

J

22. rsvrmille

rsvrmille

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    didn't realise that the intel v amd debate raged so much in the hcpc arena. personally i have always gone amd as a home user it is the most cost effective equipment, normally easily overclockable and if the right components are used rock solid stability will follow.

moving the debate on one step further, for pure games pc's i always tended towards the nvidia chips but the rec spec's on here seem to be radeon. Why? are geforce 4 onwards really that bad?

23. Steve Bate

Steve Bate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Radeon offer better PQ for DVD playback which is why the recommendations will favour Radeon, personally my HTPC is dedicated, I cant afford for it to crash, it's my Video Processor. I'm not into gaming but if I was I'd def build a seperate rig, horses for courses!!

Steve

24. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The reason I have a radeon is that it allows me to run a custom resolution of 1368 * 768 on my HS10 projector. I tried a similar trick on my Geforce 4 ti4600 card and it wouldn't do it. Could never manage to get a widescreen image on the Nvidia card over DVI. So I bought a radeon 9000 pro because:

a) it was reputed to have a better DVD playback engine.
    b) it runs cooler and quieter
    c) it can do the widescreen custom resolution for my projector.

I suppose for HTPC use you really want a computer that does as much as possible for as little NOISE and HEAT as possible. That's why I'm staying away from the leading edge GPU units for the time being like the NVidia FX series or radeon 9700 because of heat and power consumption. Last night when testing my HTPC I was surprised how much heat came off the hard drives alone.. More than enough to make you think you don't want another heat source in there.

J

25. rsvrmille

rsvrmille

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    based on some of the comments here, i just placed my order and went with a P4 for the first time ever! It had better be good!

this was the spec i ordered
    Intel Pentium 4 'Northwood' 2.4CGHz (800FSB) with HT
    Abit IC7 "Canterwood" Motherboard
    Zalman CNPS7000-Cu 1 Ultra-Quiet CPU Cooler
    Winbond CH-5 512MB DDR PC3200 x2 CAS 2.5
    Cherry CyBo@rd Plus Digital Wireless Keyboard & Mouse
    Papst 8412 NGML 80mm fan x2
    LiteON 16x DVD-ROM - Retail
    Sapphire ATI Radeon 9700 Pro Ultima Edition 128MB DDR
    DVI/TV - Retail - Has a heatpipe instead of a fan so v.quiet
    Creative Audigy 2
    globalwin 420w quiet psu 22db
    wd 80gb hdd w/8mb cache

26. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    :smashin: You know it makes sense.

27. rsvrmille

rsvrmille

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i hope it does, the damn thing cost a small fortune.
    I still can't believe a £25 dvd player in a pc beats a dedicated dvd player BUT I am willing to try :suicide:

Tomorrow morning is wait at home day, piece the thing together and then hook it up to current TV and amp and see what monsters inc looks like! I can't wait.

The best bit is , even if things don't work out, i've conned the missus into buying me another PC :clap:

right now to find powerdvd xp. Any other software to be on the lookout for.????

did someone say "kazaa"

28. Steve Bate

Steve Bate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    In your original post you mentioned a projector, above you mention TV, if your just hooking it up to a TV and the TV cant accept a progressive signal dont expect much from the Svid output of your Radeon!!

TheaterTek is about the best S/W player at the moment you may want to consider that before parting with the folding stuff on PowerDVD

Good luck, if you are using a PJ you wont regret it!

Steve

29. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    wow. all i can say is, there is nothing wrong with my amd-based pc. it will destroy the performance of any intel based pc for the price, and my pc is rock solid stable.

30. rsvrmille

rsvrmille

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    all installed and the video card is a pile of poop!

i've got some screen captures that i'll put up shortly.

Is anyone else running a sapphire 9700 pro?

I think i may need a bigger psu as im only running 320w and the screen in the bios and when xp is loading the logo is speckled just like my desktop.