1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My PLV-Z1 hates my Xbox (flickering problem)

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Selbo, Sep 20, 2003.

1. Selbo

Selbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello All,

I'm hoping someone can assist with a problem I have displaying Xbox output on a Sanyo PLV-Z1, through both normal video (RCA connector) and s-video connections. I get a constant flickering at a rate of just over 2 times a second. By 'flicker' I mean that the whole screen appears to go black for an instant.
    - When I display the projector menu over the top of the flickering image, the menu is rock solid and perfect.
    - I've got no problems displaying s-video from my DVD player, or normal video from my VCR. It is only the Xbox that shows the problem.
    - The Xbox output looks fine on my TV. It only looks terrible on the projector.
    - I'm in Australia, so my Xbox is PAL. The projector is imported from Japan, where it's called an "LP-Z1".
    This is the second Z1 I've had, and the first did not exhibit the problem (but had a broken lens shift).
    Also, I can't be sure, but I suspect the overall picture quality from s-video is a little muddier than the first Z1 I had. Is that possible?

Thanks a lot!

2. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    I've got the same set-up. When I first got my projector I didn't have a Scart -> Component converted so I tried to use the free composite cable. The picture was dreadful. Colour bleeding, flickering etc.

I'd recommend swapping to a component feed. Picture on mine is wonderful.

Jus.

3. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    Component is def the way to go.... Really good quality as well.

4. Selbo

Selbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your replies. I'd love to try component, but Microsoft recalled the High Definition AV packs so I got an Advanced AV pack instead which only outputs s-video. A bit of a pain because as far as I know the reason for the recall was to do with progressive scan rather than component output.

Another issue is that I wouldn't be able to fit another three wires into the conduit that's running around my room!

Anyway, I don't think that non-component video has to look as bad as it did in our cases. I took the projector to a mate's place and his Xbox looked just fine with a normal composite connection. And my previous identical projector looked fine too. So I think the problem is 50% my particular Xbox and 50% my particular projector.

I think I'm going to buy a new Xbox! I'm sure my old one will look really attractive on eBay if I bundle Fuzion Frenzy with it!;)

5. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    You should still be able to get a High Def kit. If not available in oz maybe from www.liksang or dvdboxoffice or somewhere. I'm sure the US haven't have stopped using them.

Composite will still look pants compared to component.

6. talizker

talizker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    There is definately a problem going S-Video into a Z1. There have been many posts about it on avsforum and I have tried it myself with the same issues as you see. You can pick the HD Pack up from Tronix [www.tronixweb.com?] for $20 + p&p and that will work a treat.

7. Selbo

Selbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've overcome my problem. To summarise it, the video from my Xbox to my PLV-Z1 was terrible (s-video flickered at constant rate of just over 2 times a second, composite video just generally awful). Projector worked with everything except Xbox. Xbox worked with everything except projector, even including another identical projector. I couldn't put 100% of the blame on either side, so my hope was that I could resolve the problem by replacing either piece of equipment.

I've bought a new Xbox and now everything is good.

Thanks for your replies re component - I'll definitely get around to trying it soon, if not with the Xbox then with the DVD player.