My Playstation 5 randomly beeps 3 times while turning on

I have a strange issue, I have the ps5 disc version, I dont use rest mode, ever in fact I have it turned off..I have external storage, its usb powered and its plugged into the back..I noticed a few days ago when I would power on the console it would beep once, then again 3 quick beeps and it would power on, zero error messages, like nothing ever happened, everything smooth as silk..so I went ahead and reformatted the drive thinking that was the cause, unplugged it properly, plugged it back in, formatted it, turned off the console, turned it back on, and just the 1 beep, so I put in a few games from game library, turned off the console, turned it back on, again 3 beeps..so yesterday I put the hard drive in another usb port behind the console, formatted it again, no new beeps, Ok issue solved right, or so I thought, turned off console and back on maybe 5 times yesterday, no new beeps..today I turn on the console, again 3 beeps, no error messages no nothing..so I turned it off, turned it back on, and only 1 beep..I just dont get it..is this a weird external drive issue what gives just want a better understanding of this..also another thing that I noticed..the 3 beeps only occurs after the console has been OFF for many hours..as I tested the drive repeatedly yesterday before adding games, turning on and off the console maybe 5-6 times to perfection..but this morning after the console had been off for I dont know, 9+ hours, the three beeps happened strangest thing ever thats why Im asking for any sort of advice..thank U

FevreDream

It might sound a daft question but do you turn your PS5 on with the controller or the button on the front of the console? I ask because you get three beeps if you press the disc eject button with no disc in, I thought maybe you were inadvertently pressing eject instead of power to turn it on.

with the controller..before it was doing it ONLY with external drive connected but this morning I turned on the console 4 times and it did the 3 beeps all four times, with NO external storage connected so Im gonna process a return to best buy whatever the issue is its getting worse

FevreDream

with the controller..before it was doing it ONLY with external drive connected but this morning I turned on the console 4 times and it did the 3 beeps all four times, with NO external storage connected so Im gonna process a return to best buy whatever the issue is its getting worse

Oh OK. Don't know what the issue is then, my PS5 has never done that when turning it on. Sounds like there is a fault with the unit.

Oh OK. Don't know what the issue is then, my PS5 has never done that when turning it on. Sounds like there is a fault with the unit.

Yeah I was hoping that it would be fine and I could keep it but its just not working out. I already went ahead and reset the console (setting, system, reset console) Im hoping that somehow best buy has some consoles stashed away for folks like me who need to do exchange, instead of having to wait months to get another one

Last edited:
Well I got the issue resolved..I figured out what the problem is basically the issue is HDMI..when you try turning on the console using the ps5 controller you will hear one beep followed by 3 quick beeps because for some reason between the samsung tv and the ps5, when it "Switches" from tv to ps5 something goes off causing the three beeps..but when I use the remote control to go from tv to hdmi 3 and it turns on the console, there is only 1 beep so there ya go..not sure if samsung will fix this or sony..either way down the road Im gonna upgrade TV's to the LG model anyway sick of samsung but at least now I know what the problem is just wish they could fix it

FevreDream

Well I got the issue resolved..I figured out what the problem is basically the issue is HDMI..when you try turning on the console using the ps5 controller you will hear one beep followed by 3 quick beeps because for some reason between the samsung tv and the ps5, when it "Switches" from tv to ps5 something goes off causing the three beeps..but when I use the remote control to go from tv to hdmi 3 and it turns on the console, there is only 1 beep so there ya go..not sure if samsung will fix this or sony..either way down the road Im gonna upgrade TV's to the LG model anyway sick of samsung but at least now I know what the problem is just wish they could fix it

Try turning off HDMI Device Link, it's in "System" in the Settings menu. That might stop it happening.

FevreDream

HDMI Device link on the samsung tv? or on the ps5? if its for the samsung tv do I turn it off for everything or just for HDMI 3 where the console is located

On the PS5. As I said you'll find it in System in the PS5 settings menu. It might not work but worth a try.

Battle

Not quite the same issue but I get three beeps when I eject a disc using the button on the console. If I use the controller to eject the disc I dont get anything but pushing the button nearly always gets me three beeps. It still ejects the disc and there are no other issues with it, just the beeps. Anyone have any ideas?

Cha1ky

Distinguished Member
Not quite the same issue but I get three beeps when I eject a disc using the button on the console. If I use the controller to eject the disc I dont get anything but pushing the button nearly always gets me three beeps. It still ejects the disc and there are no other issues with it, just the beeps. Anyone have any ideas?
It sounds like the button could be sticking and pressing it twice.

Sure it beeps 3 times when you press it and theres no disc in and this sounds like whats happening.

On the PS5. As I said you'll find it in System in the PS5 settings menu. It might not work but worth a try.

Its worth a try for sure thank you so much. Funny thing is I had returned the ps5 to best buy(The first ps5 that I Got) for this exact same reason but I had no idea that it could be due to the HDMI, I thought maybe the console was defective so sent it back, then when I got this second one from walmart and it does the same thing I thought God no seriously two consoles from two different retailers with the same issue cant be, something else is going on, so Im glad that I figured it out, not sure if samsung has to update something or sony does, either way Im gonna get a new tv soon eventually I want an LG TV, its about time..but I will try what you suggested its worth a shot

Just wanted to say THANK U SO MUCH IT WORKED!!! I turned off HDMI Device Link in settings HDMI yesterday..just now I turned on the console using the controller, ONE BEEP..so it worked..funny that one simple thing fixed the whole thing, question is, what does HDMI Device Link have to do with a console beeping three times..that is what does not make sense to me..but in the meantime, simple fix..will keep checking this out but this is the first time that Ive been able to turn on the console after it being off all night turning it on with the controller and it only beeping once

FevreDream

Just wanted to say THANK U SO MUCH IT WORKED!!! I turned off HDMI Device Link in settings HDMI yesterday..just now I turned on the console using the controller, ONE BEEP..so it worked..funny that one simple thing fixed the whole thing, question is, what does HDMI Device Link have to do with a console beeping three times..that is what does not make sense to me..but in the meantime, simple fix..will keep checking this out but this is the first time that Ive been able to turn on the console after it being off all night turning it on with the controller and it only beeping once

No Problem, glad it worked for you.

FevreDream

Yeah I will keep monitoring it but this is a very good sign since this usually always happens in the morning after the console has been off all night..I wonder what HDMI Device link has to do with all of this very strange

Dunno really. I mentioned trying it because HDMI link has caused some issues with devices for me in the past.

Dunno really. I mentioned trying it because HDMI link has caused some issues with devices for me in the past.
and that seemed to do the trick..maybe its a issue between samsung tv's and the ps5 just weird..cause I know a few people who have a samsung tv and no problem..but Ive noticed with my TV(And Im upgrading in the next couple of months to an LG TV sick of samsung) that the HDMI from my tv to cable box has to sometimes be unplugged and plugged back in so I think its an HDMI issue all around

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung Micro LED, Mini LED, NEO QLED TVs and More: AVForums Podcast Interview
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom