My Planned Unit For My Gear

Phaedrus68

Hi,

No, I don't have a lot of time on my hands. Let's just say things are a little quiet today.

The wall where I'll be putting my TV & AV gear is 2510mm wide. I'm going to make a rack / unit to fill the whole width - the space either side of a smaller unit would just be dead space where dust and toys would gather.

I'm going to use the same 9" x 3" timber I used to make my CD / DVD shelves a few years ago - I roughed them up with a convex rasp and stained them a nice old light oak colour - they're kind of styled like those "weathered beach-wood" fireplaces you can get, and we love them, so it'll be nice to have a matching AV unit.

I plan to use smoked glass doors, hinged at the bottom, with small locking barrel latches at the top, to keep Scooby Doo & crayons out of expensive and important openings.

The shelves will basically be open - there'll be just enough wood around the edges to support the components.

I'm leaving as much space around the components as I can while still sticking with the design I want.

I'm posting these diagrams to guage opinions on whether heat might be a problem if the components are cooped up behind glass doors.

At this time, the components I plan to get are Denon AVR-1909, Panasonic DMR-EX88, PS3 (hopefully with PlayTV, if Sony sort it so I can receive Irish DTT via MPEG4), XBox 360 Elite and something like a Foxsat HDR.

Unit1.jpg

Unit3.jpg

Thanks,

Mark

Last edited:

Horseus

Seeing you will be working out all the cuts and timber sizes it'll be just as easy to make 2, one for me:~).
Nice design.
Hoss

Phaedrus68

Thanks. My production line will be busy :rolleyes: - a neighbour has hinted that they'd love shelves like ours.

Would this much space be better?

Unit4.jpg

Would I need to leave the glass doors opened while the components are in use?

Thanks,

Mark

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom