1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my pioneer pdp 504 hde.to be deliverd to me next week

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by alwyn, Nov 15, 2003.

1. alwyn

alwyn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I have just had a call from my dealer here in Cornwall hbh woolacott ,telling me that I will have my 504 early next week definite.
    So buying local has given me a super price and service ,no delivery charges ,the unit instaled for me and a very early delivery.Sounds good to me!

2. Ratoban

Ratoban

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Excellent alwyn,
    keep us posted.Still waiting for mine (early dec ), can`t wait .
    :clap:
    Rob.

3. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    It is worth checking if the media box has the latest firmware (see 434 threads). Otherwise you should contact Pioneer and they will come to upgrade it.

4. alwyn

alwyn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi Costas,the rep is calling on my dealer to-morrow and I will ask the question to him then,but whatever,my dealer woolacotts is so good at after sales service that I would have no concernes,they would see me right.

5. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    alwyn - how much did it set you back - did you get the speakers as well ?

6. alwyn

alwyn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Sorry all I can say about the price that I paid is that I checked prices with companies like Sound and vision,Hi fi confidential ,etc etc.and my price was considrabley better.And as to speaker,I use kef reference speakers all eight of them for both hi-fi and video

7. lumpsucker

lumpsucker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hello Alwyn,

Any sign of your 504 yet? I'm still waiting for news on mine.

Cheers

Simon

8. alwyn

alwyn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hello Symon,I spoke to the pioneer rep on monday and he told me that the release of the 504 had been put back untill this week end,but assured me that I would get it early next week.There is only a limited number available to start with so I think yours coming from Scotland may be delayed.Pity you dident try Woolacotts and keep the money in Cornwall.

9. lumpsucker

lumpsucker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Alwyn,

The only reason my business is 'potentially' going out of Cornwall is I have a garauntee of a November delivery from that source. My local dealer has had my name on one since September 5th and he will be getting that one no later than any other dealer in Cornwall, so either way I'm going to get one at least the same time as you. If it is from Jocko land then their may be a few days delay because I'm getting a dead/stuck pixel check before it is shipped onto me.

You have gone for good service and good price as your criteria. The fact that the service came locally is a bonus. I could still be in that boat yet.

Cheers

Simon

10. alwyn

alwyn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Symon, Pioneer say you cannot ISF calibrate the 504.What say you?

11. lumpsucker

lumpsucker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Alwyn,

I think it's a case of what say Gordon. But I would doubt what they say is true. I would have thought that you can go in through the appropriate RS232 port and caliberate with the neccessary software. What Pioneer might mean is that they are only letting their own engineers have access to the software. What I am saying might be a load of rollox but I'm sure Gordon will let us know soon.

Cheers

Simon

12. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    alwyn

What Pioneer is telling you is not totally wrong and untrue. I have spoken in detail with one of their engineers in a recent exhibition and he did show me references to at least two customers complaints in US where after ISF calibration performance was worse. It looks like that a lot has to do with the training and in depth knowledge ISF have on each model. With respect I recall Gordon earlier this year said he has not done a Pio 433HDE before and he had to check things himself... ( I did not go ahead with the service at that time because I could not afford the cost ).

Now what Pioneer is doing is working on ISF Certifications for the various models and this has started in US and Canada. At this time the 434 and 504 models we have here are not yet covered.
    See the following link:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/article/0,,2076_4129_21141095,00.html

13. alwyn

alwyn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Costas, yes I had seen that link,that is what prompted me in asking pioneer if the 504 would benifit from ISF, apparently they do not think it will.
    Another point to note on that notice from pioneer US is that while they list the pro elite models as ok for ISF. they do not include the 503 hde as suitable,and yet I think they have been calibrated here in the uk.Who is right?

14. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    OK,

Just found this thread.

First off. Not all ISF calibrators are created equal. The guys who are doing this type of work in UK, William and I, do it as it interests us and we like it. In US they have lads who go on training and then are sent out to make money for shops by running around doing 3 -5 calibrations a day. If they don't bring in the dosh they don;t get paid. Not a good solution if you want a quality job! The most I have done in a day is 3 and I started at 9am and got to my hotel at 12.30am!...I tend to want to do it right.

Secondly. From the measurements we were seeing at The Event on the 434HDE it will benefit from calibration.

Thirdly. That is why the ISF and Pioneer and three calibration tools manufacturers are all working together to create custom software. This will enable suitably equipped calibration professionals to create two settings. The idea being one would be for daytime and one would be for serious viewing. This software interface is not yet finished. Pioneer USA were making a BIG point about it at CEDIA USA in Sept.

The previous generation devices are calibrateable in service menus. That is HDE's and MXE's. The situation with Elite range in USA is that they are trying to keep it as a premium brand distinct from the normal stuff. So suggesting you can only get best performance from Elite range makes marketing sense. They don;t want folk buy a standard unit, affordable scaler and getting it ISF'd for less than an Elite (and ending up with a superior picture, possibly)

Does this make sense now?

Gordon

15. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    I have been informed that I can expect mine next week too :D

16. alwyn

alwyn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    You say the lads in the USA only do it for money,well I would think that is right,and their costing as per internet prices are $300-$500 about the same as you.If you can do three a day £750 you must be getting a kick out of the money side as well.
    In the end,all I am interested in is does ISF realy make a difference?

17. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    That's not what I said Alwyn. What I say is that SOME of the guys in US are just employed and trained specifically to be profit centres for their employers.

I do 4 or 5 calibrations on average a month. I have to travel over 1000MILES to do those.....yeah, I'm rolling in it......

Does ISF calibration make a difference. Yes, you get a measureably more accuarate display once calibrated.

Gordon

18. alwyn

alwyn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Iam in touch with William in Bristol,and when the software for the 504 is available,he is proberbly going to calibrate it.

19. lumpsucker

lumpsucker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Gordon,

You got PM.

Simon