1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Phone Sux

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by plasmoid, Oct 28, 2004.

1. plasmoid

plasmoid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had my mobile for a few years now, so I guess it's time to start thinking about a new one...but, just to share my frustration...

I have a small Panasonic. It's light which I like and very user-friendly. However, the batteries are the shortest lived ever!! And, don't know whether this is a server or phone problem, but my phone is constantly shutting off or the display screen is upside down, etc.

Anyone else experienced this? Or what are the best mobiles out there that are also not incredibly expensive??

2. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Batteries lose their ability to hold charge over time... so it's not a surprise that life is poor now. The phone shutting off etc. suggests a phone hardware problem (I'm not sure what you mean by server, but any network problem causing this is unlikely). As you're in the U.S. you have two major choices to make before you decide on a phone:

1. Whether or not to go with a GSM network (uses SIM cards and allows roaming in the rest of the world)

2. If you go with GSM (definitely recommended) whether to buy a phone that is 1900MHz/1800MHz/900MHz compatible or one that is 1900MHz/850MHz compatible. The majority of GSM networks in the states use 1900MHz, but some use 850MHz to fill in poor coverage areas. In the rest of the world 1800 and 900 MHz networks are the norm. There are some phones available which are quad-band but most are tri-band. Make your choice depending on coverage in your area.

I would recommend you take a look at Siemens or Sony Ericsson Models... in my experience recent Nokias have been prone to software problems and poor build.

Hope this helps ;)

3. plasmoid

plasmoid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That is great information! Thank you. I actually have replaced the battery and it still has a very short lifespan. So, maybe I just got a bad battery.

By server I meant which service plan I'm under :) Sorry about that.

I do want to go for GSM, which would be very useful to me since I visit Europe often and have a lot of contacts there...so glad the US now offers GSM...

Thank you for your suggestions. I will look into the phones that you recommended!

4. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    You're welcome :)