My Philips DVDR70 Stinks!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by treefrog, May 10, 2005.

1. treefrog

treefrog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi

Just needed to come on here and vent some of my anger over my Philips DVDR70 DVD recorder and to see whether anybody else has come accross the same problem.
    Twice this week recordings have failed on both Philips DVD+R and DVD+RW disks.
    During the post format process the recorder simply shuts down and displays a message on the display, in the last case the message was D80409930(thanks Philips, thats so bl**dy helpful). You then have to unplug the recorder from the mains in order to get it to turn on again. I've looked on their site but unfortunately the Philips troubleshooter is only designed to find problems with the user as opposed to the machine, i.e. 'You used cheap media' or 'you put your greasy fingers on the disk surface' instead of 'the recorder is not fit for purpose'. As soon as the Sony RDR-HX715 comes out the philips is going on the scrap heap together with its sister, the 32PW9528 32" widescreen TV and I'll never buy a Philips product again. Until that day comes I wonder if anybody has had the same symptoms and whether they may think that a firmware update may solve the problem.

Thanks for listening
    Mark

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    Yes people have come across these problems with Philips DVD recorder before - many times infact. And I think an upgrade to the Sony 715 will solve your problems considerably more than a firmware update ;)

3. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Your error message is actually "DB xxxxxx" which indicates a fault with the Digital Board. Unfortunately a firmware upgrade will not help in the long run, and it needs repair. How old is your machine?

4. treefrog

treefrog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I've had it about a year and a half so its out of warranty.
    Thanks for the comments. I think you've both said what I wanted to hear.
    I can now justifiably go out and purchase a new DVD recorder.
    Roll on September. :clap: