Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

My Philips 9986 nightmare continues.....

Discussion in 'Philips TVs Forum' started by LCD User, Oct 31, 2005.

Tags:
  1. LCD User

LCD User

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh no....

I've just had my 9986 back for the third time from A Novo (Philips Flat screen services) and the problem with my DVI socket is just the same. I have a clear picture but it looks like I'm watchin the screen with red transparent paper over it. I'm using a Pio 575 with progressive scan though a VGA to component cable into the philips standard ATI DVI to VGA adaptor. I tried puggging my laptop in tonight to see what happened but got nothing. I tried the cables and the adaptor on a friends projector and the picture was fine. BR direct are calling me tomorrow. I'm really frustrated and well pee'd off as this has been on goin for over 2 months and A Novo say there is no problem with the Screen or the DVI socket.
    Any other suggestions?

PS i have the program numbers on the top left of the screen DV-I, EXT 1, EXT 2 etc all the time. How do I get them off?

2. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi LCD,

Deal with the last point first. This is the OSD setting in the Menu. Set it to min. This'll disappear. But so will the Volume display.

You've had a helluva time with this TV!

Let me just cover some points again. Fistly, can I ask if you have ever tried another Progressive Player with this TV. It is possible that it is not outputting its component signal properly. Did you use it when you tested the projector?

You have definitely connected the cables correctly?

As long as you know the DVD player is performing properly and the cables are correctly hooked up, then it's the TV that's faulty. Easy. If it is, get it replaced. NOT REPAIRED!

Jimmy

3. LCD User

LCD User

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Jimmy,

I've tried 2 575 DVD's directly through the DVI socket and still getting the redish hue through the picture on a loaned 575 pio. So prog scan must be okay. The last thing I can do is hook up another DVI adaptor and VGA to component cable although they did seem to work on a mates projector.....
    If not it'll need to be a new screen

4. SLIM

SLIM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    NEW cable maybe

5. Phill_1981

Phill_1981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
  6. LCD User

LCD User

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Am going to get order a new DVI adaptor and get a replacement cable. If that doesn't do it then the screen is truely knackered!

7. LCD User

LCD User

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Phil. Have just bought one and will let you know how it goes. Have a sneaky feeling the philips DVI to VGA convertor that came with the TV is the problem.....

8. Alan D

Alan D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know this might sound kooky, but try a different make of DVD player - I'm sure there has been discussion before about Pioneers. Worth a shot.

9. LCD User

LCD User

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thnaks alan but I think the DVD has to output prog scan to work in DVI mode. I'll go check though....

10. LCD User

LCD User

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thnaks alan but I think the DVD has to output prog scan (which the pio does) to work in DVI mode. I'll go check though....

11. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    You keep repeating yourself LCD....You keep repeating yourself LCD.

Hee Hee. Anyway, you do need Progressive Scan, but what Alan D suggests is not so daft. I doubt it'll be the cable.

Jimmy

12. LCD User

LCD User

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll try and post this one just the once Jimmy!

Well I've spoken to Richer sounds. They will take back my Pio 575. I'm gonig to go for an OPPO DVD player £170 with direct DVI to DVI cable. If that doesn't do the trick I'll personally drive to Kingston Upon Thames with the 9986 and demand all my money back and a weekend break to recover from the stress.

13. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    That'll probably work OK as you'll be taking the component component out of the loop. (I repeated the word component deliberately!)

Jimmy

14. LCD User

LCD User

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I'll get the Oppo next week. It seems to have some excellent reviews and fingers and toes crossed the DVI to DVI will work.

Phil thanks from the advice on the DVI to component adaptor but I've cancelled that.

15. Phill_1981

Phill_1981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    No problem

16. LCD User

LCD User

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just had this PM from Ross 82.
    THis may me the answer!

Morning LCD User,

I read your thread yesterday but didnt want to send a reply as i was waiting on a new cable that should of sorted the same problem out as you.
    Well, the cable has sorted the issue which is good news and i can say that its neither the 575 or the screen which is causing the issue, its the signals being sent through the cables.
    I had my 575 running component to a component-vga switch box and then into my Projector via the VGA input. The colour of the image was very red, and like you said, almost like watching it through a red filter.
    After many emails back and forth to the PJ company and the DVD company, neither of them could give me an answer until i managed to sort it myself. Now the next bit i hope is going to make sense to you so here goes.
    The signal i was sending was not the signal i wanted (or LCD in your case)
    I thought by sending the component through a switch box to a vga lead the other end it would of been the same component signal running straight through, just with different connectors either end.....It wasnt, the switch box changed the component signal from Ypbrb - Rgb which is standard for a vga input, by selecting the component input on the PJ the image was incorrect.
    Yesterday i got a component-vga lead which kept the same signal which i needed and the image is perfect.
    Now thats the short version anyhow.
    Looking at your post it seems you have the same problem but with the DVI to VGA adapter.
    Do you have either an option on the tv to change what signal the vga input is accepting (I.E RGB, RGB-HV, component) component should be the one you need to match the output of the player or if you tv has a vga input as standard, bypass the dvi bit and plug straight in (see what picture you get then)

I know this is really long winded but i was so frustrated like you were trying to sort the picture out and now ive got mine sorted.

17. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Sorry LCD, but this doesn't sound like the same problem really. His problem was that his switch box was converting the component signal to RGB. His projector was then displaying only the Red part of the signal.

Yours will not be doing this. As long as your DVD is outputting component (and not RGB) the cable should not cause you a problem.

Jimmy

18. LCD User

LCD User

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Jimmy will PM you