1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Philips 976 LCD 32" arrived yesterday! Quick review....

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by NeilTh, Dec 8, 2004.

1. NeilTh

NeilTh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well, after my initial thoughts of going for the Sony MRX1 32", and a discussion thread on this forum, I ended up purchasing the 32PF9976 from Empire (£1500) and saving £1400. It arrived yesterday, so had a play with it last night.

Its my first LCD, so nothing yet to compare it to, but first impressions are v good - easy set up, good looking set, 2 x scart, composite, SVHS and DVI inputs (fine for us) and easy driven menu system for adjusting settings.

Tried a DVD - Harry Potter (3) - plenty of black in that and pleasantly suprised - the picture is stunning - and IMHO better than my Philips 28" CRT (was a cheap one though). Pixel plus seems to work really well. The black isnt quite as present as the CRT though, but its certainly there in some form.

Tried another DVD - Girl Next Door (appalling bad film rented from Qflicks - but great lead actress ;) ) crystal clear, very sharp - again better than my old 28" CRT

BUT, then tried it on the Tivo, on maximum drive space setting (lowest res) and its at this setting the problems are - whereas the 28" CRT masked the poor picture output from the Tivo, the 32" LCD shows it in all its nastiness, meaning we'll have to set the Tivo up for max res and upgrade to a bigger HD for this.....but not a problem.

At the moment the screen is sat on the old CTR stand, but its being built into our new fireplace install (above the fireplace) next week, so I'll post up some pics when its complete

All in all v pleased - would highly recommend this set.

Thanks for the advice on this prior to buying :thumbsup:

Neil

2. azz

azz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Thanks for that

Im thinking of this set too

Does it have a HDCP compliant dvi connection and progressive scan?

Azz