1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Philips 32PF9986 Install ... Pics Inside

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Alan111S, Apr 27, 2005.

1. Alan111S

Alan111S
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Folks

I wanted to say thanks and show my appreciation for how useful this forum has been to me, while I was deciding what LCD to get. But then I also got help with settings, stand sizes, recommendations for DVD players, PC inputs ..... the list goes on. At the time I was receiving this help, I said I'd post pictures to show the finished product and now I finally got round to it.

Also, I know you nosy lot are dying for a peek, so I won't go on. My setup is unique in that the fireplace is now an integral part! But the Ambilight looks great against the stones.

The other AV stuff shown is:-

Grundig Sky Digibox
    Pioneer DV575
    Toshiba V858 VCR
    TiVo
    Sony DB930

Cheers

Alan

Attached Files:

2. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Spot on Al! Nice job...

Jimmy

3. Wunkley

Wunkley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Very nice. It's in front of your fire though man!!
    Sacrificing warmth for visual splendour eh? Just wear a coat I guess :)

4. Alan111S

Alan111S
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The house is warm anyway, and the fire wasn't real :thumbsdow Although, I could always turn the Ambilight up to generate some more heat :rotfl:

I am particularly happy with the Optimum stand - they were very helpful and supplied different sized legs for front/back. The TV is at the height that Philips recommend.

Best of all we can look straight at it instead of having it in the corner of the room. That is the great thing about having a flat screen. You can get it closer to you which means the perceived size of the TV seems huge. I went from a 4:3 28" TV that was 12 feet away to this 16:9 32" one that is 9 feet away..... :cool:

5. globero

globero

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can you post a picture with the ambilight lighting the stones? I'm thinking in something similar :-D Thanks.

6. Dazzle

Dazzle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    What's this TV like hooked up to a PC, i.e. with a game playing in full resolution? Do you need a decent graphics card to output to this TV? I am trying to find the right balance between a LCD TV for PC input and Watching TV programs on the networks.

7. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    You just need a Graphcs Card that'll output 1280 x 768 at 60Hz. I have a fairly basic FX5200 that does a fine job. This, of course, is not full resolution, but is as good as the 9986 can be.

The new 9830 (Due July/Aug) will handle 1366 x 768 at 60Hz and I would recommend you wait for that one. Looks the same as the 9986, but has a number of significant improvements.

Jimmy

8. Dazzle

Dazzle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Jimsan - thanks for your reply...

..does 1366 instead of 1280 mean that it will fit more across the screen?? Is that the natural resolution for gaming?? Not that I just want to play games of course, I do need my PC for work stuff too, but every now again you need that leisure output. :D Regards.

9. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yup, 1280 x 768 fills the screen perfectly top to bottom, but you get a black band left and right about half an inch wide. This is OK, but the full 1366 horizontal resolution will be better.

Jimmy

10. Alan111S

Alan111S
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi globero

I can't because I am away from home at the moment but I'll post a pic taken at night with the ambilight on this weekend.....

Cheers

Alan