1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My PHILIPS 329527 has blown tube...after 14 months,any advice??

Discussion in 'TVs' started by spinalcracker, Nov 15, 2003.

1. spinalcracker

spinalcracker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had my PHILIPS 32PW 9527 for just 14 months and have been told by my local engineer that the tube has "flashed over".

I bought the set from Comet Online and didn't take out the extra warranty so i'm looking at an extremely big repair bill.

He has recommended that i try to ring Philips direct and tell them the problem as 14 months is unacceptable.He said they MAY help.

Anyone here who can give me any advice as to what to do,i can't ring Philips untill Monday.

Has anyone else had any luck appealing to these companies?

Thanks for any help.

2. SOUNDSTYLE

SOUNDSTYLE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    You should be able to get a new tv.
    Any item you buy should last a reasonable time but fourteen months for a tv is rediculous.
    Don't leave them get away with it.

3. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,267
    You probably won't get a brand new set unless your are very lucky or unless the tube costs nearly as much as the set but you will almost certainly be able to get a new tube fitted under warranty. Most of the major manufacturers (I work for one - not Philips) certainly wouldn't expect a customer to have to pay for a tube after just 14 months. Philips have had tube reliability problems over the last few years and it is worth pointing that out to them if they show signs of refusing.

4. bazzae123

bazzae123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Toshiba offered me a new tube after 2 years for free but I would have to pay to have it fitted.

Bazza

5. mansell

mansell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    This months "which" magazine goes into a great deal of detail about consumer rights (pages 30-31), I recommend you obtain a copy and read it .

If you can't get hold of one I would be happy to photocopy these pages and send it in the post for you .

I've quoted this from "which"

How long is reasonable ?

"one of the ambiguities of the sales of goods act is the definition of a reasonable length of time. The act doesn't define how long products should last because different products have different life spans. and even two identical products can have varying life spans,depending on how much they're used.
    for a rouhg guide though we (which) asked manufactures for estimated product life spans on six appliances. They said that all the products should last at least five years and some like TV's much longer. So,if you're claiming within the six year period legally allowed,you could well have good cause for a claim

washing machine 5-10 years
    tumble drier 5-10
    dishwasher 5-10
    VCR 6-9
    fridge 7-10
    TV 8-10

6. mansell

mansell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    from page 30 of "which"

The Legal Bit

When you buy anything from a shop,you have certain rights under the Sale of Goods Act. These are often referred to as your statutory rights. The law states that, when you buy goods ,they must meet the description given,be fit for purpose ,and be of satisfactory quality. In Plain English,whatever you buy must do whats it's suposed to,be in good condition,free of faults,safe, and must last for a reasonable length of time .

The Definition of a "reasonable time " varies from product to product,but you can make a claim on anything upto six years (in Scotland this is five years)

7. bazzae123

bazzae123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The " reasonable time " thing, oh how we laugh.
    One guy bought a car, the engine developed a major fault within a few miles of picking it up, a judge rejected his claim. :rolleyes:
    No doubt someone will soon be along to tell you that your TV is " guaranteed for six years " or that " Euro-wide warranty legislation covers you for two years ".
    Contact Comet, they will tell you that you failed to buy the extended warranty they generously offered you at the time of sale or when they mailed you just prior to 12 months later. So now you can go get lost. Definitely worth a try though. :smoke:
    Contact Philips, by telephone not e-mail, then back it up in writing and request written confirmation of what they promise.
    Suggest to Philips that their TV has been disappointing in it's longevity, that you really liked it otherwise, especially as Philips are your family's favourite make, blah, blah, blah, and remember to mention you have heard about " tube problems " and seen plenty of other cases on internet forums.
    If you are lucky and they like your face they MAY supply a replacement CRT and/or cover the fitting cost. They may meet you somewhere halfway by paying a " contribution ".
    If you are unlucky they may choose to do nothing, in which case it's time to try the Philadelphia lawyer stuff, Philips have enough money to buy real good ones so that's always tricky !

My Philips plasma failed a couple of years back, actually it went bang, a total write off. I was fortunate, the local dealer I bought it from acted as a go-between. My plasma was replaced at no charge seven weeks out of warranty.
    Hope you get a good result either way. :)

9. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,267
    Was it a Philips tube in there by any chance? Toshiba are one of the biggest users of Philips and have had many early failures.

10. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Your statutory rights are on your side , but getting one of the big sheds like Comet to rectify things under those rights is another matter.

Although, according to consumer law, it is Comet you should pursue - I think you will find you have more luck directly with Philips.

I have been successful on several occasions with manufacturers when products have failed after the 1yr gtee.

Alpine in car Cd/Tuner bought for about £300 - £350 mail order. Cd stopped working after about 17 months. Alpine did not charge anything, although the repair cost £170. The only cost to me was the tenner to sent it to Alpine's service centre at Milton Keynes.

Panasonic Vcr having problems with rented tapes (something to do with Macrovision). Again, out of warranty. Because it was a design fault, they agreed to collect the vcr at their cost and send me a cheque for the published trade price + vat. Because I'd bought it significantly cheaper via mail order, the sum equaled near enough what I'd paid.

Don't expect too much though. Philips may be willing to supply tube free of charge, but want paying for fitting. Or they may discount the tube significantly and you arrange your own fitting.

I definately think you'll have more luck with Philips direct.

Good Luck

11. spinalcracker

spinalcracker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your help and advice.

i'll ring tomorrow and keep my fingers crossed!

12. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Philips Consumer Care Centre, Monday to Friday 8.30am to 6.00pm. Saturday 9.00am to 6.00pm.

Telephone 0870 900 9070
    Fax 020 8784 1095
    www.philips.com/ce

Don't give up easy, keep ringing until you find someone interested.

Comet Dedicated National Service Number
    Tel 08705 425 425

Already mentioned above that the obligation to resolve your problem lies with the retailer not Philips, but as you are out of warranty what you are looking for is a goodwill gesture.
    Definitely try Comet, it's worth it if nothing else just for the experience.
    Let us know how you get on. :cool:

13. mansell

mansell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    god what pills do you take ?

so far I've had two TV's and one Washing machine fail out side warranty , I've had them all replaced free of charge

you just need to know how to communicate with these manufactures

helps to be a member of tranding standards though like me

LOL !!!

14. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Today I took the red one. :)
    Sorry to rain on your parade Nige but you being a member of " tranding standards " still left you with the same chance of a free of charge replacement as any of us.
    Your statement that you just need to know how to communicate with these " manufactures " is astute.
    Well done, sir ! :smashin:

15. blindlemon

blindlemon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Go back to Comet and threaten to get Trading Standards involved. The consumer regulations applying to your TV say it should last for a "reasonable" time as posted above and within that time the retailer has a duty to repair or replace it free of charge, or offer you a (maybe partial) refund. The length of the manufacturer's warranty is a minor point and you should stress that you are aware it is given in addition to your statutory rights - not instead of them!

BTW, my 9527 failed with the same problem after 11 months and I managed to get Comet to give me a refund without any serious hassle. They were, initially, going to repair it, but mysteriously decided to write it off when the repair shop received it back with my full description of ALL the problems (including the failed tube) I wanted fixed - eg. the "Black bars", the "halo effect" etc.. taped to the front of the screen.

At the very worst they may give you a partial refund - the regulations allow for them to deduct a percentage for the time you have used it. So if it should last 8-10 years, and you've used it for a year, then I guess they might be justified in deducting an eighth of the price. So you should, at worst, get over £900 back. :)

16. sidyal

sidyal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi, I have my own business in the tv repair game and the only tubes that I've seen fail prematurely have all been philips. They know about this problem with flash overs, but IMO deal with them one at a time as it is widespread. You will be surprised how many people just pay for another tube. I would get on to philips and tell them that you are aware of other failures of their tubes, and you know that they have supplied other customers with replacement tubes free of charge. If you have your receipt then it makes it easier. They will probably try to fob you off to their prefered dealer to have it fitted and they will charge you full price. You will have to scream and shout to get them to take notice. Do not accept no for an answer. Philips are one of the biggest manufacturer of tubes in the world. I have seen failures of philips tubes in Hitachi, Toshiba, Panasonic and Daewoo. Most of these manufacturers no longer use philips tubes due to failures IMO. 14 months is not acceptable wear and tear for a tube. You should get one free of charge, they may ask for a 25 digit batch code. You should get a local dealer to fit the tube, as the options settings in the engineers software has to be altered if the tube is slightly different.
    I know it's a long post but I hope it helps

17. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Come on tell us how the phone call went

18. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    If the set is this new it probably has a Panasonic tube, so Philips may not be to blame for the flashovers in this case. But the set I had for a few months before my current set (a 32PW9616) which was a 32PW8707, had a Philips tube and I did remember seeing a flashover at some point.

From what I understand, these problems are caused by debris in the tube left behind by problems in manufacturing, or insufficient evacuation. At the end of the electron gun is a lip which leads to a getter, a small disc with some material on it which is attached to the inside of the funnel. The getter is heated after the tube has been evacuated and starts absorbing any gas particles that are left.

19. spinalcracker

spinalcracker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right.....haven't been able to get to my PC for a couple of days to post the latest.

I rang Comet(where i bought the TV) first thing Monday morning.Told them exactly what as happened,14 months TV blown tube.
    As soon as the assistant i spoke to knew i hadn't paid for extra warranty,she didn't seem interested,stating it was out of the 12 month guarantee.
    I then mentioned the Sales of Goods act that states items sold must last for a reasonable amount of time.Her reply was "oh,i don't know anything about that"....then she asked me what model it was.i told her and she then told me i'm not sure that covers that model!!!
    i had to laugh at that and told her i don't think the Sales of Goods act specifies which TV's it covers!!
    After speaking to her "superior" shen then told me an engineer would come round to my house on Wednesday.I would have to pay an initial fee of £60.If the engineer says it is a major fault,then i will get back my money and it will be repaired for free.

That was yesterday.....Today i received a phone call from Comet asking for the serial number for my TV,as Philips have admitted that a batch of these TV's went out with faulty tubes...Once i let them know the serial number,they then told me that WAS from a faulty batch...Philips are aware of this problem and are covering all the costs.

I now have someone coming tomorrow to collect my TV,which will then have a new tube fitted....hopefully returned to me by the end of the week.

End result should be a perfectly working set,with no cost to me.

Should be.

20. Gatto

Gatto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good Luck

21. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    That's great to hear ! :smashin:

22. davidgirecourt

davidgirecourt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am waiting for my tube to be changed as well. Blew up after 11 months and 25 days would you believe it!

The set came from Sound and Vision, had an engineer to my house and they are now waiting for Philips authorisation.

Can't wait!

23. unijacko67

unijacko67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My philips 32pw9527c has also blown its tube, it is just over 3 years old (not used that much)and cost us £1400 to buy. It is going to cost £370 to have it fixed so I think its not worth repairing as I dont want £1770 in a tv that may blow the tube again. I have wrote to Philips about it to see if they can help as the average life span of a tv is about 8 years and our's was top of the range 3 years ago and not a cheap set. They are not prepared to help. I will take it further.
    Hope you have more luck. Cheers Jacko.

24. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The dealer you bought this television from should resolve this for you.
    At worst you may have to pay for the carriage of the replacement crt to the dealer, plus maybe a small fitting charge.
    The problems with these tubes have become common knowledge with service departments since the original posting in 2003.
    LG / Philips CRT Displays has since gone into administration, a casualty of the fall in demand for CRT. One positive aspect of this is that you may be offered a payment against a new LCD tv in lieu of a replacement crt.
    A lot depends on whether where you bought it from can be bothered taking it up for you. Like many other manufacturers Philips have become much less sympathetic to helping people out themselves - rather than bouncing them back to the seller.
    Good luck. :cool: