My personal review of the 13 Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Apple Forum' started by NewBeetle, Jun 10, 2009.

1. NewBeetle

NewBeetle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,412
    Well this morning my new 13" Macbook Pro was delivered and I thought some may be interested in my thoughts and initial impressions.

I opted for the base model MBP, tbh the extra ghz of the 2.53 over the 2.26 would not have made any impact on my computing. As any rendering or encoding or other processor intensive tasks will no doubt be done on my iMac. Of course a bigger hard drive and more RAM would have been handy, but to be fair with apple not offering 7200rpm drives I feel I would be better upgrading that a later date, or even waiting until SSD's become bigger/more affordable.

Usage: To be honest, my main usage for this MBP are going to be surfing via wi-fi on the sofa, the odd weekend away etc. Its hardly going to be stretched put it that way. I just wanted a quality small laptop to compliment my 24" iMac and I feel I have found the perfect partner in the 13" MBP.

Build: Seriously solid, first impressions are this is a classy computer, the fit and finish are top notch. Those of you with unibodies already will no doubt be used to this but for me it just oozes quality. 10/10

Keyboard/Mousepad: Again, its a real revelation for me. Every other laptop I have ever used (including macbook/ibook) have felt awkward to me without using a mouse, but this thing is fantastic. Massive trackpad area and so responsive, getting used to all the finger gestures etc will take time but already find 2 finger scrolling a godsend. The Keyboard again, superb tactile feel and for me just the right amount of key travel. The backlight for the keys is superb (always wanted this) its so bright and almost instant. 10/10

Display: I think this is possibly the most outstanding feature of the new 13". I pondered for ages about buying the 2.4 unibody macbook pro due to the poor screen quality on the unibody macbook. So glad I waited, this screen is simply the best I have seen on any laptop. Colours really pop out at you and the blacks are so inky and deep the movies etc looks superb. Lighting is totally even with no fading towards the edges, viewing angles brilliant and no colour shift when you move your head around. The only minor gripe I would have is the border/frame around the screen is a bit large, but to be honest thats nitpicking :rotfl: 9.5/10

Battery Life: Oh My God! I have been on the laptop all day today after an hours charge when I unpacked it the battery showed full. Since then I have been surfing via wi-fi and watching a few HD video trailers etc. 5.5 hours later it still shows 1hr 12mins remaining. Now like most I was a bit sceptical about the claimed 7hrs but its seems in the 13" this is achievable :eek: Pretty much amazed by this 10/10

So there we have it, I can't remember a purchase since my 24" iMac that I have been so happy with. I really can't think of anything bad to say which surely is quite rare with any electronic item.

PS: Nearly forgot to mention, using it all day not once has the fan come on, or if it has I have not heard it. Come to mention it I haven't even heard the hard drive either. The whole experience is whisper quiet :thumbsup:

2. Woodsie

Woodsie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +189
    Thanks for that, I came to my white macbook the other day and found that the screen had randomly cracked. There seems to be some reports of the internet of this so its not a one off and there was no impact damage etc so its a strange one.

The battery life on mine was superb even when it was 12 months old. :thumbsup:

Anyway, I had lodged a claim with my house insurance so I will be getting this new one, does the keyboard light up by the way?
    Thanks

3. NewBeetle

NewBeetle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,412
    Yes the keyboard lights up, its automatic as soon as the light in the room dims, and then you can alter how bright the keyboard is too:thumbsup:

4. cuttsy

cuttsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Starting to think I should have gone for the lower spec after your review!

Mine should be here soon, the upgrades (larger HD) and software slowed it down.

Thanks for the review.

5. dave_parki_uk

dave_parki_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +755
    TNT picked up my 2 week old macbook 2.0 this afternoon. Once it has been returned i am going to order the base model 13" macbook pro. :smashin:

6. Rafe

Rafe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +598
    You have had a good few days Bettle :smashin:

- ordered your new Macbook, delivered quickly and the product has surpassed your expectations!

Result!

7. Woodsie

Woodsie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +189
    Fantastic :smashin:
    Always missed that feature in the plastic macbook :cool:

8. NewBeetle

NewBeetle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,412
    Yeah, got a Sony Ericsson W995 on monday and am getting a Panasonic BD35 Blu-Ray player tomorrow for my birthday. Allround beltin' week as it goes :thumbsup:

9. Rafe

Rafe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +598
    Umm, sounds like you are gettin the 'Dave' spending syndrome Beetle!

Dave - do you have the name of your therapist - Beetle may require their services :smashin:

10. asimm

asimm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    NewBeetle - really good to read a review of this notebook, many thanks for it. I think you have even beaten engadget and MacRumours! The battery sounds awesome and I have been reading quite a bit about the screen which has been getting good reviews elsewhere. I am looking to comparing these new screens with my 5 month old UMBP. The backlight keyboard and screen brightness work really well in trains when you go through tunnels - instant off and instant on! I don't have any questions, you have covered everything - thanks and enjoy it and all your other new gadgets!

11. Sy1441

Sy1441

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    I've got the 15" one. Its pure computing pleasure.

12. danrich1

danrich1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    NB - how is it for heat?

13. NewBeetle

NewBeetle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,412
    After 5 hours use, only slightly warm to the touch. :thumbsup:

14. sneeks

sneeks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +630
    Thanks for the review. I'll be buying the base 13" MBP this weekend. I had considered upgrading the RAM and HDD via Apple but I can source this elsewhere at half the cost.

15. bigtings

bigtings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    i concur with newbeetle the 13" inch macbook pro is excellent . got it this morning and compared it to the new white macbook i bought last week.which i am returning ..the display on the macbook pro is very very good!!

16. Jowl

Jowl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    is it possible to upgrade the HDD/RAM yourself in this model?

I'm looking at the 15" base model - RAM and HDD fine for now but I may want to upgrade the HDD in future

17. muzzi

muzzi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
  18. Jowl

Jowl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27