• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

my PCU blew!

maix27

Established Member
Hi guys, i've got an ACER Aspire RC500, i needed to replace the PCU, so i did.

Ordered an identical unit from america and i think this is where my problem come. The 110v vs 230v input.

I plugged it in and just got a pop... then nothing.

Is there any chance the rest of my components will still work if i get a new power supply in there?

Also, does anyone know where i can get a tech diagram of my motherboard (it's one of these: Intel 865PE/875P/865P/865G) so i know where to plug everything back in? (yes, i have to remove the motherboard to get the PSU out, deep joy!).

Cheers folks...

MarkE19

Hi guys, i've got an ACER Aspire RC500, i needed to replace the PCU, so i did.
I assume you mean PSU (Power Supply Unit) and not CPU (Central Processing Unit)
Ordered an identical unit from america and i think this is where my problem come. The 110v vs 230v input.

I plugged it in and just got a pop... then nothing.
Yes, most PSU's need to be switched (if they can be) from 110v to 240v or things will go pop!
Is there any chance the rest of my components will still work if i get a new power supply in there?
There is a fairly good chance (but no guarentee) that once you put a 240v PSU in that everything will work fine - well it did for me after my 240v PSU blew with a massive bang and plume of smoke. It scared the life out of me.

Mark.

badbob

Banned
Laptop PSU's are usually auto switching. Do you have a photo of the original PSU and the replacement (popped unit) it'll have info like 110-240v input, 9v output 2A etc. + ---( 0--- -

maix27

Established Member
i will get a picture on early next week, especially as i'm having trouble finding a suitable unit (its oblong shaped, not square). As i said it's a pain to take out so i have to remove all drives and motherboard to get at it, and i'm moving house at the moment so not the best time!!

Cheers for the advice, as soon as i can find a new unit and get it running i can see if i blew everything else up too!!!

The joy :rotfl:

badbob

Banned
Ah noticed it's a desktop, not a laptop.
When you received it you should have flicked the switch at the back of the PSU from 110v to 240v (if it has one) If it doesn't then shouldn't have used it.

Buy a replacement PSU from within the UK.

CGizzi

Established Member
Stick another Pc next to yours & "borrow" power from it. This will tell you if your components are fried or not.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom