• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

My pc wont play back HD?

(GTV)Chris

Established Member
Hi

I have an athlon 2800.
2 gigabytes of ram
an ATi radeon 9800 pro 256 mb memory on board.
160 gig hd
win xp pro

I down load a lot of movie trailers but my pc stutters about when trying to play 720 let alone 1080.

Any help would be most welcome.

ta

Chris

paulmcp2403

Established Member
hmmm...it should play 720p fine...I know that does not help you...

Perhaps there is an issue with the media software you are using ? Try VLC...

(GTV)Chris

Established Member
Just using the quicktime programme on the apple website?
Do you think my graphics card is faulty?

(GTV)Chris

Established Member
Actually the CPU does go right up to 100%!!!
What does this mean, it was only in 720 mode?

Cheers

Chris

Pulsar

Prominent Member
Chris,

The HiDef available from Apple will likely be in H.264 format, rather than WMV or MPEG 2. The H.264 is a very powerful compression that takes lots of CPU power to decode smoothly. Try grabbing some of the Windows Media HiDef files from Microsoft. Those 720p ones should play fine.

Cheers

Rob

(GTV)Chris

Established Member
I'll give it a go :)

arfster

Established Member
For h.264, you need to download the coreavc codec. It's gigantically more efficient than quicktime's.

For WMV, make sure you have the Microsoft DXVA patch, it cuts CPU usage down to nothing.

(GTV)Chris

Established Member
Ok, many thanks for the codec advise.
I dowloaded and installed them both and my pc still stutters like Porky Pig on a particularly stressed day!
The percentage of CPU usage still jumps to 100%?
Could it be my swap file or perhaps my processor is buggered.
I feel a new pc coming on :)

Chris

dan1979

Prominent Member
My systehm is slower than yours and plays the 720p clips with no trouble. Get quicktime alternative codec and use a decent program like media player classic.

(GTV)Chris

Established Member
media player classic played the file back fantastically - thanks.
Any suggestions for the uicktime codec?
The one i downloaded the other night still jumps about the place?

paulmcp2403

Established Member
will the Microsoft DXVA patch fix the stuttering issues with my pc when playing wmv clips at 1180i ???

thanks

paulmcp2403

Established Member
graphics driver is fine :O)

(GTV)Chris

Established Member
I reckon there is something wrong with my pc - when i open a web page the processor shoots up to 100% usage and subsequent pages do the same. Here comes a £600 upgrade....

D

Deleted member 39241

Back up your data, format the hard drive and do a fresh install of windows - that would be cheaper and will (almost) certainly fix your problem, which sounds software related (to me).

(GTV)Chris

Established Member
That is a very good idea... But have put a very good case to my wife for a new PC - with huge HDD's and twin SLi GFX cards for gaming....:D
She need never know...Muhhahahaha, Muuuuuhahaha :devil:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom