Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

My PC Ultra v my brothers 25/31 PC+

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Jules, Dec 15, 2004.

1. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,039
    I recently ordered a 25/31 PC+ for my brother and it arrived today.
    So, I've just spent the evening at his house, armed with AVIA and my SPL metre, to set it up for him.

Being a PC Ultra owner, I was quite keen to get a listen anyway and see how it faired.

First thing is the size. I thought the 25/31 looked really cute and a much better size for a living room. In fact, when I got home I looked at my PC Ultra and thought.."bloomin eck, its huge!!"... seriously I started having doubts about its place in my room, and thoughts about how I should perhaps have got the smaller one.

Anyway, we tuned the PC+ to 20Hz with 1 port block and gave it a wirl.
    And I have to say, for what cost a silly £580 in total (don't you just love the weak $) I was blown away by its performance.
    I think the PC+ driver has a very slightly different tone, but the depth, clarity and power of the Ultra was nearly all there.

I left thinking that SVS should build a 20/31 PC Ultra.
    Anyone worried about the size of the 20/39 should buy the 25/31 instead.
    It looks much better, and offers 90% of the performance.

I'd like to do a side by side comparison at weekend, but for now I'm very impressed with the smaller unit.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    Let's not forget that it was the PCi and PC Plus range of cylinder subs that made SVS's name in the first place.

3. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +670
    Agreed! The cylinder remains an extremely viable enclosure form for those willing to have that particular shape in their room. It should not be thought that a box is superior or more sophisticated just because it is a box. The cylinder offers much better natural resistance to interior compression loads and resists panel resonance way beyond a box with flat panels.
    A box is actually an inferior structure in this context.

Ironically, if you go back far enough cylindrical shapes were considered ultra-modern and often used for floor standing lamps. Rather than simple supports for Christmas lights.

There also used to be a full range loudspeaker design for DIY audio enthusiasts called the Tricolumn. A simplified form of folded horn built into a cylinder. Some of these were built in massive concrete pipes and even clay drainage pipes. I built one 7 feet high and 18" diameter in the 1970s. Imagine getting one of those past SWMBO!

Nimby

4. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Hi Jules
    It does prove that for the money there isnt much (anything) out there that can rival svs for quality bass even if they do look like dustbins,Having said that my svs has been in full view for the last 18 months and doesnt cause any visitors to say my god :eek: whats that, mind you even if they did i wouldnt care as its that good.
    Cheers Gonzo. :)

5. anotherdavid

anotherdavid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    for me in australia shipping costs due to weight are an issue and the cylinders are much cheaper for door-to-door delivery than a box sub

i have a very large room, and aesthetics are not an issue, so PC Ultra on order soon for me

david

6. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,354
    Best get 2 then:)

7. Bogi

Bogi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Well, I couldn't agree more! :thumbsup:

The "midget" 25/31 PC+ is an excellent piece of kit that is wholeheartidly recommended. I too have it tuned to 20 Hz and it gives strong output way below that.

Also, comes with a lot higher WAF. I think the 25/31 PC+ is overlooked by many. For most normal rooms and normal listening levels it performs in spades.

Couldn't be happier! :D

Cheers

8. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +670
    Most of the action film "slam" comes from 25-40Hz region anyway. The 15-20Hz range is largely inaudible to most people. Though it can certainly be felt. The "largely" in this case referring to the 16-46. Where WAF is largely waved goodbye in favour of true extension to 15Hz.

I can't remember anyone saying they'd actually compared the 25-31 against the 16-46 side by side, on DVD film, in the same room, at the same time. Having a 15Hz roll-off point sounds impressive. Well to me it does anyway. :devil: But has anyone actually had a chance try this? :cool:

Nimby

9. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    Just noticed this thread and as I have lived with the PC Plus for about a year now, its just part of the furniture. I have wondered if I really need this level of performance/size of the unit, but theres no way that Im unhappy with the performance now, but maybe I could have saved my self the extra expense of buying a BFD, if Id bought the smaller unit.

As a footnote, I watched LOTR ROTK special edition a few nights ago, :eek: :eek: the sub bass is scary and so tight it felt like someone was kicking the side of the chair.

10. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    I don't suppose that anyone "needs" that level of peformance and you may have been just as happy with one of the smaller or cheaper variants but at least you will never wonder to yourself what it would have been like if you had bought the next one up the food chain and you are also safe in the knowledge that you will have to spend a considerable amount more to get a significant improvement in sound and even then the difference may only be apparent at reference levels.