1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My PC Registration has been stolen!!

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by t-force, Aug 11, 2004.

1. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    I think it must be some kind of Spyware that's done this, but does anyone have any idea as to how to get round the following problem:

On Win XP, on the System section of Performance and Maintenance in Control Panel, there is the owner information, where it says "Registered to". Now my name used to be under there, but no it has been replaced by "Not you, no longer", and the evesham logo (they made the PC), has been replaced by X Brain (big X in background with brain written across it).

Does anyone have any idea as to how this could have happened, and how I can correct it?

2. cowtipper

cowtipper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    your registration information is kept in the registry

goto "start menu>run! then type regedit.
    then select find fomr the edit menu and type in "Not you, no longer", and ti should find the registry key that holds that info

Disclaimer:
    I must warn you be careful delete out anything you are not supposed to as you can kill your machine.
    any advice given here is for info only and should nto be undertaken if you are unsure please consult a professional

sorry about that bit

3. shyboy

shyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3