Question My PC keeps turning on and off !!!

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by eireann10, Aug 21, 2018.

Tags:
  1. eireann10

eireann10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +560
    Hi all

I have a Dell XPS 8910, just recently when i turn it on after a few seconds it switches off, then powers up again itself, then switches off etc etc, I havent let it do this too many times as i dont want to totally screw up the PC

Anyone any idea why this is happening, i thinking PSU but how can i check this without buying a new one.

2. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +12,078
    Sounds like the PSU is the likely culprit.

3. Darren Heal

Darren Heal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I had a similar issue recently.

After someone tried giving the top-mounted 1000 watt power supply a drink through the PSU fan I fitted an 850 watt one I had spare. PC kept cutting out, two or three of the internal RAID discs wouldn't power up and the whole PC would die unexpectedly.

I fitted a new 1000 watt PSU and its been fine since.

4. Apsilon

Apsilon
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,014
    As said, usually a failing PSU is the cause of this but, testing a faulty PSU is difficult without another PC. However, it could also be your CPU overheating if your heatsink isn't adequately cooling it. They are the same symptoms - ie, you power on the PC on and it turns off within a minute. So as a matter of course, I would also check that your heatsink fan is working properly and check that the thermal paste hasn't dried and crusted. If it has, remove the HS/Fan off the CPU and reapply some thermal paste and re-seat the fan.

In fact, don't most new dells come with tools for checking the PSU and fans? Have a look in the BIOS (F2 or F12 from boot if memory serves) or in the Dell application on your desktop.

5. eireann10

eireann10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +560
    Thanks, the PC wasnt getting as far as booting up fully, it kept turning off after a few seconds, i took it and the PSU apart last night without really knowing what i was looking for (hadnt read your post Apsilon, so didnt check the CPU), While it was a part i started it up and it loaded up fine.

It was late so i turned it off and will try again later today and also check the thermal paste etc

6. Darren Heal

Darren Heal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Messing with the insides of the PSU is a sure fired way of getting a cheap curly perm (or worse) IMHO.

Unless you're an electrical expert I would just assume a cream crackered PSU needs to go out with the recycling and buy a new one. But start by buying a new CPU fan off Amazon or somewhere and see if that does the trick first.

7. anticlaus105

anticlaus105

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    I've had this happen twice recently. The first time I remotely turned my pc on to use remote desktop. When I couldn't log on I just thought it hadn't turned on. When I got home from work it was doing the on off thing. I struggled to get it boot. It did it again a couple of days ago but thankfully I was there. I can't recall if that time it was booting from sleep. It worked fine after switching it off by holding the power button down.