1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Pc Has Been Dead When Trying To Start It The Last Two Times ??

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by BADA55, Mar 21, 2005.

1. BADA55

BADA55

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have been playing various games recently but for some unknown reason my PC didnt want to start last Friday :( I saw the 'on' lamp appear for a split second and then nothing. I kept pushing the on/off button but nothing. I left it for a few minutes and tried again and it started as normal which was strange. I was away the weekend and just tried it again with exactly the same problems (the on/off light lit for a split second and then dead) and left it for a few minutes and then all was well.

I do know for sure that my hard drive has started to make some real weird noises so it will cease working eventually I guess....SO COULD IT ME THE HARD DRIVE THAT STOPS IT STARTING ?

I know this isn't an ideal forum if anyone knows a better place to post please let me know ....thanks for reading :)

2. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    In my experience, it's not usually a hard disk that will stop it from starting - but the easy way to verify is just whip the case off and take the power off the hard disk.
    If it starts and cuts out practically immediately, but is ok 4 or 5 minutes later, that would be indeed rather off. When you take the case off, you should notice if the fans "twitch" or not. This could be the sign of a dodgy power switch (I've had this happen before).
    Not wishing to teach you to suck eggs, but it can also be the sign of a short also. To test the power switch scenario, you can put a jumper across the power switch pins and then plug the mains lead in. As soon as it powers, whip the jumper off and it should stay powered. I've also been told you can bridge the contact with a screwdriver, but I'd never recommend it just in case of slipage!
    Some motherboards do want a hard disk attached however, although I've not seen one recently (tended to be late P2/early P3 boards). Give it a try and see what happens ?

3. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,755
    Are you sure it's the hard disk making the noise ? It could be the fan on the CPU sticking and not working properly. As stated by sandmuppet, the only way to find out is to take the case off - but be careful when powering up without a case lid on - don't touch anything, you can very easily short something out by probing when the power is on.

4. BADA55

BADA55

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Cheers I will check the switch....I too doubt its the HD but I do know the noises come from it. I have heard the same noise on othere PC HD's but not so filippin loud as this. !! Its got a very distinctive spinning and clattering sound which is presumably the disc barings possibly breaking down. Definately not any system/cpu fans.

It may just be the swich. I have LIANLI case so the switch is of a good quality I would hope but thats not to say its infallible.

I will keep the side panel off ready so if it happens again I will try shorting out the pins to see if that works with a 'jumper cable' should do the trick :)

5. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    I've only had one hard disk (Western Digital) that made those weird sounds, but if I were you - grab a second drive, Norton Ghost and copy it rather quickly!

As for the switch, it's not so much the actual button, but where the wire is joined which can be a problem :)

6. meridian-user

meridian-user

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, can you get into the bios menu?...there has been a virus going around that re-configures the bios....I too use a liamli server case and no power switch problems in 6 years.

7. Solar

Solar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    i was under the impression a bios cant be written to during windows because its fully active
    and even if it could there isnt any option to prevent booting anyway so i couldnt see that being a problem

8. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    The Virus that trashed the BIOS was designed (IIRC) for certain chipsets, such as the old BX and FX chipsets. Some motherboards have dual BIOS chips (Gigabyte) or can be booted from a floppy BIOS image (ASUS and ABIT for example).
    Yes it is possible to re-write the BIOS in Windows, as most modern motherboards BIOS Update program work with XP and then require a reboot for the BIOS change to take effect.
    As I said, it's not the actual switch - the internal cable is connected to the switch mechanism inside. I've seen it once where a new switch mechanism was required (The switch mechanism is pretty standard for most cases), so it could quite easily be that.
    To be fair, we don't have all the details so I went for the most obvious generic solution. But both are good and equally valid possibilities!

9. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    could be a fault Power Supply unit. even had a similar problem with a borked memory component. try swapping out the ram and trying it again. any chance you could get a PSU to try in it as well.

10. BADA55

BADA55

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for that but I have 2 other drives on this pc purely for storage so there nothing I need on this drive ;)

I will check the wires though cheers :)

11. BADA55

BADA55

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    OOPs sorry posted twice :eek:

12. BADA55

BADA55

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3

I am using 'THE' pc at the moment and, apart from when I first tried it today, it has started up perfectly ok three times since then :rolleyes:

If it were a virus attacking the bios its a bit of an intermittent one isnt it ;) so probably not that and I agree I really doubt its the switch too but worth a look of course.

I, unfortunately, had a quick look to see which power supply is on this pc and its one of those Maplin specials (450w) in a gold case(cant think of name:()....not the best in the world really so maybe its got an intermittent fault??? I'm clutching at straws now arent I :)
    Just read your bauerCTU comment...after I thought to mention it;) Yeah I will try that as well and chuck in another psu to trial it cheers ;)

13. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    No probs - but I've got 8 other HDD in mine for storage - It's all the little things you forget like Bookmarks and Outlook PST files that you lose (done it once - never again).

The Maplins PSU's I think you're referring too aren't actually that bad - I'm using a 650w (basically cos no-one else makes a 650 that I have found). What is the spec of your PC btw - it maybe that the PSU isn't poweful enough for what you are running hence it being OK initially but now is failing to drive what you've got? By the time you add 3 HDD's, DVD or 2 and a top end Gfx Card, that PSU is going to be somewhat pushed. When you've disconnected the HDD was it any better? I can tell you're hesitant on the switch - and I've personally only seen it once or twice - but it's worth elimintating (esp as switches cost way less than anything else ;) )

14. BADA55

BADA55

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have an MSI KT3 ultra 2 with an Athlon xp2600... 4 x 160gb IBM HD's....radeon 9600xt....sony dvdr.....samsung dvd...soundblaster audigy platinuim....flash card reader...floppy and thats it

On another issue the MB has never worked with its USB2's ?? I believe it to be a problem although MSI deny this. So if I cant sort this switching on problem I may as well get another board anyways and send this one back to MSI even if it is 3 years old !!! ;)

Can anyone recommend a good 'PC HELP' forum for the U.K. ?? Certainly could do with checking up on stuff for my other PC's.....cheers :)

15. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Roughly speaking you are probably pushing 400W on equipement, you can verify it using this - http://extreme.outervision.com/index.jsp

Can't recommend other PC Forums personally, been in IT since I left College and I tend to do it myself, never had the need to ask (other than to find a PSU Calculator!).

USB2 should just work, although the boards I've used only allow USB2 on the motherboard ports, not on the wired-off ports. I assume you are running XP with SP1 minimum of course :)

Nothing wrong with MSI boards, used to have one and was reliable. If you can't grab another PSU, take off a couple of the HDD and the DVD's - that'll lose about 80watts - see if the problem occurs still, if it does then it's not an overloading issue, but it could be the PSU on it's way out. It could even be the 5v or 12v lines being underpower, which would be an issue. You could probe it to check if it's within tolerences.

16. BADA55

BADA55

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    cheers for that will do...anyone else know of any good pc problem finding forums??
    I know a fair bit but its always useful to discover that the product in question has issues with others before I go down the possibly long and uneventful route to discover its not my hardware but a known issue with the MB/RAM/HD/Processor etc etc...makes sense to me anyways ;)