1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My PC died, time for a Custom PC

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by mekes82, Jun 27, 2005.

1. mekes82

mekes82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I can only imagine the ammount of these threads that must pass through this section. So I apologise if this offends anybody, but I really need some help.

A few days back my PC got severly overheated and shut off. When I tried to boot it back up it would shut off after 1-2 seconds. Now it just wont turn on at all. I checked the fuse in the plug and it is fine. I think maybe I had a problem with the power the PC needed. I had changed my 5200fx for a 6800Ult, and changed both DVD drives for better models.

What I hope to do is to salvage my GFX card and build a custom PC. The reason I need help is because I dont know what parts/brands are compatible with oneanother. If I just choose parts randomly, lets just say I know my luck!

I guess I'm willing to spend £1000 for the HDD, CPU, Mobo, RAM, Sound Card and Case. If anybody in the know could help me choose some nice parts I would be very greatfull.

I'll say a little about what I hope the specs can be.

HDD - 300-400GB
    CPU - Athlon64 based
    MOBO - Dont know much about this :S
    RAM - 1-2GB Corsair
    SoundCard - Anything good

Please help me out!

Sorry once again for another Custom PC help thread.

Mekes

2. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    might be worth having a look at the "upgrade kits" offered by www.komplett.co.uk they have some good value looking solutions with compatible MBs, CPUs and memory. Just plug it all together.

As far as the HDs and soundcard go almost all whould work with any MB. Most new MBs will have SATA so check if the one you're getting does, then just buy something like a seagate barracuda.

as for the soundcard, how much do you want to spend? what will you be using it for? (analogue out or just digital?)

owain

EDIT: just re-read your post, for £1000 you could easily get all you need, the upgrade kits from komplett range from about £180 to £270, a big HD won;t be more than £120ish leaving you with plenty for a very good soundcard (the RME I have will set you back about £350-400 but might be overkill depending on what you'll use it for)

3. bnewbie

bnewbie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The reason your computer might not be working is because of the power supply unit in your current machine. The 6800 Ultra requires at least a 400Watt power supply (a good one at that) and certainly with two CD/DVD drives it sounds like you need at least a 450+Watt PSU in there.

Since you would be buying a new PSU anyway if you were upgrading my advice to you would be to get this first, try it in your current PC. If it doesn't work you've lost nothing anyway as you can use it in your new computer.

Hope it helps,

L

4. mekes82

mekes82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Thanks very much for the helpful replies.

I will be sure to test the power supply before I order anything. Hopefully I can get my friend to test his in my PC. Is this safe? I know he has a 600W.

Komplett seems like a very nice website, Id never heard of it before Ive added it to my favs now :) Unfortunately I didnt see a bundle that I would go for on there. Im now thinking of buying only the case, cpu and mobo. The ram and soundcard can wait until I have the money available.

So far I am liking the look of the AMD 64 4400+. Id like to have a good motherboard with this, but the problem Im having is finding a good AGP based board. My 6800Ult is AGP which is why I need that type. Id also like it to support dualspeed ram for when I get my new memory. Can anybody recommend a good mobo based for the above specifications?

Btw the soundcard isnt particulary important. I only use my PC casually for Games video and Music. Im willing to spend £100-150 on that.

Thanks very much for any help, I really appreciate it :thumbsup:

5. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    if the soundcard doesn't matter much then you probably don't need to spend that much, save the money and get good quality memory.

6. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Plugging in another power supply is no problem and wont damage your PC.

Is the 4400 a dual core CPU? If so are you sure you need it? Unless your running applications with specific support for multiple processors then you wont see much improvement. An Athlon 64FX would be better if your after gaming performance which judging by your GPU you are.

This article here explains it nicely.

tbh i would also be tempted to sell the graphics card and buy the equivalent PCI-Express card. Its silly to be spending (serious) money of the high performance components you have listed then hobble your system with an inferior motherboard. I have always found Komplett to be on the pricey side myself.

7. bnewbie

bnewbie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With regards to the power supply, it's important to get a good quality one. Don't be fooled by 600 watt power supplies that sell for £20 or suchlike - at high loads these perform really bad and sometimes even blow up (i'm not being melodramatic either).

Good brands like Tagan, Enermax (I think they retail under a different name though) and Antec. There are others too, but just don't go for a cheap one.

To be honest a 450-480Watt one by one of these makes are probably better than a 600 watt one from some unknown brand.

Just as a side note, there's nothing wrong with AGP incidently. If you get the same graphics card in PCI-Express and AGP you'll notice almost no difference. The only thing is future upgradability. The point is though that a 6800 Ultra will be perfectly fine for a couple of years (and to be honest it depends on what resolution you play your games).

Let us know how it goes,

L

8. mekes82

mekes82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Thanks very much for the good quality advice guys.

Ive decided on my processor. Im going to go for the AMD FX55. I read a couple of reviews and Im very excited about getting hold of one.

Im also going to stick with AGP for the time being. Im just too lazy to sell my graphics card at the moment. If anything I will stick with all the extra parts and upgrade to PCI some other time. I hope to order the parts come Tuesday or Wednesday. I will defo let you guys know how everything turns out and what I think of my new system.

I do have one last question.

Im undecided on the motherboard. Since PCI is ahead of AGP and Im shelling out for a good processor, Id like to buy the best model AGP motherboard out now. Im having trouble finding a website that cleary states which motherboard is the best. So can anybody tell me what make/model I am looking for? My friend has this one. - MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum nForce3 Ultra (Socket 939) Motherboard (MB-027-MS) - He is happy with it but he built his PC about 9 months ago, so Im just wondering if a better model has come out?

Thanks once again
    Mekes

9. mekes82

mekes82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Okay, Ive just ordered some parts.

Athlon 64 FX-55 processor
    MSI K8N NEO2 Platinum motherboard
    Corsair 1GB DDR XPert Ram +
    Aspire Navigator Black Alu Case

Hope to have these by Tuesday. Im going to have to use my old Soundcard and HDD for a few weeks. Should have the funds for the few other bits n bobs pretty soon. Its a shame because this has eaten the beginning of my savings for my Phillips 42" Viera. Looks like I'll have to wait a few months for that now.

I'll let you guys know how I get on with fixing it all together. Hope I dont run into any problems ;)

Mekes

10. Embarker

Embarker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    No mention of a psu?

I went for the asus sli deluxe amd 64 with a 3500 processor, still feel that the fx55 is overkill. You could get a pair of 6600gt and sli them up instead.

The nice thing about the asus is that the nforce 4 chip cooler can be replaced with a zalman, the vga cooler can be changed for a zalman and the cpu cooler can be cahnged for guess what a zalaman. And there is enough room for another 6600gt with the zalaman treatment.

some decent low latency memeory is a must.

Post back how you get on.

My mate bought a combo that had the new 2x256mb 6600gt gfx card and has had nothing but trouble. When he had it stable for a few day's it only benchmarked 15% higher than mine without sli.

The new nvida sli gfx cards are out now 7700 i think - maybe worth a look

11. Paul Shirley

Paul Shirley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    Bit late to the party but...

This sort of shutdown can be caused by a badly seated CPU or heatsink, always worth removing and reseating them (or sometimes just wiggling the heatsink is enough). Its remarkably hard to heat damage a modern CPU.

12. mekes82

mekes82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    The case came with a 500WPSU which got pretty good reviews. I will still buy a good model PSU within the next month or so when I get payed. Along with a new HDD.

I set everything up last night and it all went pretty well. Apart from me plugging the power lead into the wrong plug on the motherboard which had me very worried for 15-20 minutes. You wouldnt believe how relieved I was when Id noticed my small mistake!

I found out yesterday that I dont even need a soundcard. I didnt know that motherboards came with onboard 5/7.1 so I apologise for bringing that into the topic.

I'll take a few snapshots if anyone would like to see?

Im having a small problem now that everything is setup. As soon as Windows boots up I am getting an error message.

-Error

Loader failed to initialize service-

Does anybody know what could be causing this? Everything seems to work fine but it is bugging me slightly.

Thanks once again for taking time out to advise me :)
    Mekes

13. mekes82

mekes82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    That problem has stopped happening now. Happened the first 4-5 times I booted the PC, now no sign of it :confused:

I came across another problem with my graphics card where it would reset the frame rate every 20-30 seconds. To sort that I had to disable fast writes from the AGP tab in the Nvidia settings. Now Im problem free!

http://img152.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pc12yk.jpg

http://img152.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pc28df.jpg

Im going to clear the wires up a little better sometimes soon. For now Im just relieved to have it working fine!

Muchos thankos to everybody who took time to help me out in here :thumbsup: