Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

My Pc Can't 'see' Discs I've Created on LG Standalone..

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by inabsentia, Jul 7, 2004.

1. inabsentia

inabsentia
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Small bit of background first..I've had a DVD+R standalone for a whjile now, and both of my PC DVD drives (NEC2500A and PioneerA105) had no problems at all reading anything I burned to a re-writable disc.I'm running XP Pro.

I've just added an LG 8140 DVD-R recorder. Any re-writables I've tried so far play back in the LG unit just fine, but in my NEC drive I get an error meesage about an unrecognised format, and in my Pioneer, using Windows explorer, U just get an empty page. If I try to play the DVD-RW disc in Power DVD, it plays fine!!

I'm sure I'm not the first (or last) to ask this question on here..I've had a flick through a few of the threads, but can't see any real solutions.

On another ofrum someone said I needed a 'VR Patch' but that's as far as the help went..I've googled and come up with a Microsoft page that looks relevant, but you can't download the patch, you have to request it!

Any help would be very much appreciated

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,584
    I assume you are talking about re-writeables recorded on your LG? If so have you finalised the disk?

3. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +442
    Hi

Sounds like these discs are recorded in DVD-VR mode. Windows can not understand the file system used (UDF2.00), however PowerDVD will have built in drivers to understand the file system so can play the disc by passing Windows file system.

To gain access to the files you need something like DVD MovieFactory 3 which includes drivers and allows you to import the video to your computer as MPEG files or you need a Windows filesystem reader to get access in Windows Explorer. For this you can use InCD4.1 or InstantRead drivers, see the thread at the top of this forum called PC Guide.

Regards

Philip