My pb2-plus has been built in 2 weeks!

Pollywoggle

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Anyone who has one on order or thinking about taking the plunge may be interested to know that the current estimate of backlog on the svs site of approx 2 weeks is currently correct.
I ordered late evening on 31st March and received an email last evening (15th April) saying it had shipped.

Nice, you're gonna love that puppy when it lands on your doorstep:D Not sure about the neighbours though, it's like a seismic shock when it really gets going:D

pollywoggle

your sub has landed in the uk
does this mean from the shipping email on the 15th
it took just 2 days to arrive at the airport?
do you know how long it takes to clear customs then arrive
at your home
dont forget the review after set up

waiting waiting .... it's already killing me

Thats right, from the shipping email it took 2 days to get to Heathrow, I phoned Bax on Friday and they said that I would be contacted on Monday but gave a contact name and number in case I didn't hear anything.

No, I rang Bax first thing this morning and they said customs could take "3 or 4 days" and that they would ring me later in the day. Hadn't heard anything by 4pm so rang again and they said it's not through customs yet but promised to ring as soon as it is.
So still waiting! I boxed up the relq150e that I have sold through the classifieds and am currently subless. To top it all I am on nights all this week so I am going to be sleeping in the day waiting for Bax to ring. I'm sure it will be worth it in the end!

In a similar postion,I rang Bax this morning chasing progress, they informed me not cleared customs yet,this was about mid morning.About an hour or so later they rang to confirm its cleared and took the payment fo vat etc....It's winging its way to me and should fingers crossed be here tomm.

I await with forlift ready !

Bluenote.

Still waiting for customs to clear it at Bournemouth Airport now, the torture continues! Still, the spl meter that morg has lent me should turn up soon so everything will be ready and waiting.

I have received three so far via Birmingham airport and each one cleared customs in 24 hours.

Not sure what the moral of the story is though

has it arrived yet??

and how much did you pay bax global what was the total cost?

BUT MORE IMPORTANT HOW DOES IT SOUND !!! REVIEW IF POSSIBLE
a fellow svs waiter ,

At last its here, arrived yesterday,and as I am on nights my twin sons helped the delivery guy unload it and it was sat in my front room when I woke up. I have only heard it briefly as I had to work last night, and I can't calibrate it as I am waiting for the spl meter that someone is sending me to arrive. First impressions and I know it has been said before, Its ENORMOUS! It was packed perfectly and unlike some folk I really like the finish, it's bomb proof!
As I said I have not been able to calibrate it so I adjusted the gain, filters and volume to what I thought might do just to give it a workout and confirm it works and Oh My God! its amazing! I threw Saving Private Ryan in the Denon and it just blew me away. Tried a bit of Fight Club dts, the plane crash bit and my stomach was churning, but in a nice way!! I haven't even moved it around the room or anything yet but already I know I am going to have so much fun with this baby! You are going to love it Simon. I paid bax £129 over the phone, well my wife did as she took the call at 7.15 so I am not even sure how that broke down exactly, what the total cost was I am not even sure about yet as the dollar rate was worsening when the sub shipped and that is when svs charge you. I don't care though, I'll just see how it pans out when th credit card statement arrives, this sub is worth so much more. I have to get some sleep now and prepare for serious tweaking!

Fantastic i'm glad you,ve got it

more review if poss as soon as poss and how did it compare
to your old sub

Well my borrowed spl meter has arrived all the way from Scotland, (a big thankyou to morg for taking the time and trouble to send it by the way) but I have not had time to calibarate yet.
I have however connected the svs to my nad 2 channel amp using the subs high level inputs to try it with music....and all I can say is wow! wow! wow!
I set the sub up with one port open and the subsonic filter set to 16hz, enabled the sub crossover and set it quite high at 70hz, (my main speakers are little mission 780se's and their lowest declared hz being 65hz.) I thought I would leave the volume as it was and be prepared to adjust it and the crossover as neccessary.
First I tried out Soul II Soul "Club Classics Volume 1" and sat down thinking I would be up and down tweaking and skimming through tracks as I tried for a good sound in the room. No way, I just sat with the biggest grin on my face for 50 minutes hearing that album for the first time ever! well thats what it was like . No boom, no bang just every instrument spaced and placed and sharp as a pin.
Next up India Arie "Acoustic Soul", a brilliantly produced album with some real deep bass that I knew needed some special treatment. I was not disappointed, I can't get over how without making any adjustments at all, no matter how loud the volume went in my 26 foot L shaped room, the sound was rich warm and enveloping, no hint of boom or thud, the pb2+ can start and stop in a microsecond.
Then I tried Groove Armada and "Vertigo" an album with some really low frequencies that I "thought" I had much enjoyed for the last few years. Pah!, I had never heard that album before in my life, the svs revealed those deep deep sounds that were there all the time just waiting to be dug out of the mud of my previous setup. The important thing to emphasise is the way the sub makes the space between the instruments seem like they are in the room, its like they are being painted in the air in front of you. Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Sizzla. Peter Gabriel, Foo Fighters..
I could go on but I have to find the time to go through all my music collection and really start hearing it for the first time!
Having heard the pb2+ I can honestly say that I would have paid the asking price for this sub just to use for music alone, never mind the joys of home cinema I still have to come once I have it set up right. Anyone who enjoys music be it it vinyl, cd, sacd, dvda, whatever will love this sub, Tom and Erik have done a fantastic job bringing this product to the market place, I could kiss them.
If you have thought about going the svs route and have any doubts at all then I can assure you, the hundreds of rave reviews are not wrong, these are greats subs and the pb2+ plus is absolutely amazing! One very happy bunny here!!

Pollywoggle, I would also suggest you try 2 ports opened and have the sub tuned to 20hz - you might find you appreciate music even more, as the lower tuning robs the sub of some higher frequency performance. Also, I'd try setting your crossover a little higher (depends how you like the sound of course, and how accurate Mission is in their cutoff figures - you might have a small dip if the Missions start rolling off a little above 70hz).

Thanks for that smurfin, one more night to work and then I am going to have time to tweak and experiment, I was amazed I got such a good response with my first attempt at a hook up on the high level terminals but I am sure I can improve it!

Not another one! Don't you just hate it when people exaggerate about their SVS like that! :D

Well done Polywoggle. You put it across much better than I could.

The clarity and effortlessness of your description exactly matches the SVS subs' performance, without added distortion.

The SVS subs are so accomodating regardless of level or gain. Simply because they add no mud to the music or film dialogue.

Nimby

Originally posted by Nimby
Not another one! Don't you just hate it when people exaggerate about their SVS like that! :D

Actually his description was pretty much spot on, couldn't see any mention of "blurring vision" or a real sense of fear or any of that rubbish;)

Pollywoggle, Kazman from the forums came over yesterday and was subjected to an hour of my PB-2 Plus; of all the demo sequences I played the one that most shocked me was Minority Report, with those "energy guns". We played it in dts at 0db reference and OMG...that was the most amazing sound I've heard from my SVS since I first switched it on. Try it, it's incredibly deep but sharp as a razor...utterly no overhang. The other one is the "mine" scene in Finding Nemo, along with the "submarine slipping", "Inside the whale" and finally, without a doubt...."Darla". Awesome awesome stuff, and in particular during the whale sequence you should find all those other horrible resonances in your room:D

Originally posted by Smurfin
and in particular during the whale sequence you should find all those other horrible resonances in your room:D

Tell me about it my servo sucks! :(

Steve.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom