1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Panny AE300 is going back to Panasonic.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Bristol Pete, Jul 14, 2003.

1. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    My unit has developed a strange quirk.

When watching 2:35.1 DVD material, in a scene with lots of colour, there appears to be a line approx three pixels deep across the entire width of the screen, just under the black bars.

The line does not appear to have any colour and thus, in the context of my darkened AV room it sticks out like a sore thumb as it seems to be lit in a white colour.

On a very light scene, there even appears to be a solid line running across the screen. This is odd, as only on material with black bars.

Anyway, I called my dealer who suggests that it could be unlit pixels or panel misalignement and he has asked me to return it to them so they can return it to Panasonic for evaluation and repair.

So, a bit of a bummer, but if comes back 100% then great. Lets hope that itc doesnt come back with half a dozen dead pixels:mad:

Incidentally, do I await repair or ask for a replacement unit?

Thanks,

Cap (otherwise happy:laugh:)

2. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    Have you tried moving the image down through the menu or service menu options (if available)?

On all the pjs I have owned and demo'd there is an option to physically shift the image within the panel output area. Just wondering if this may cure it and save you a return.

3. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    there is an image shift option, however, this simply shifts the 'whole' image up and down, including the black bars.

I will look at the service menu tonight however, thanks for the idea.

Cap:smashin:

4. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Hi Captain ( I was going to say eye, eye but....)

Does this line appear solid or just lighter than the rest of the picture? I ask this cos I have two 300`s and I get this on both. To be honest though it doesnt bother me I just thought it was something to do with my DVD players decoding.

Jack

5. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    is not solid on colourful films such as Episode 2. However, it appears like a white line tagged onto the black bars - if that makes sense. I am sure we have the same problem.

You state that you have had two with the same thing.

Is it worth me sending it back then? It seems that the picture is underneath it so to speak just not getting colour.

My wife thinks we should live with it but I am not sure.

Cap:rolleyes:

6. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    You spent good money on that projector and will one day sell it on to upgrade. Nobody will want to buy a faulty projector unless for silly money. Go get it checked out.

7. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I will put my tin hat on and open the flood gates now!

I agree about spending good money and being 100% happy. I have two 300`s and I sent one back (dead green pixel) with this same annomally. By my experience this is something that the 300`s suffer from. I may be wrong but I dont think that I am that unlucky to get three with the same snag.

Over to you lot.

Jack

8. gothmog

gothmog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Captain,

I can't say it's something I've noticed..

Any chance of a photo so we can compare it?

As far as repair/replacement, definately repair if you have no bad pixels.

-- Jon

9. Insp.Gadget

Insp.Gadget

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yep a photo would be handy Captain, as my AE300 doesn't seem to have this problem that I can see.

10. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Are you sure you guys want to see a picture of it? If you can't see it on your pj great.
    I would say don't go looking for it as you might just regret it
    if you see it. then you might not be able to live with it (just thoughts) :)

11. gothmog

gothmog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We like to punish ourselves :D

-- Jon

12. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    LOL
    Right now i understand :D

It's just in the past i've bought a tv say & haven't seen anything wrong with it.
    Then i've looked on the forums & seen a problem that i had'nt seen on my tv.
    Got home & guess what? yep the same problem & i have'nt been happy so just think about it mate :)

13. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    Took it to my dealer this afternoon. We set it up in the demo room and connected it to a top of the range Denon DVD player, (gert lush 'un too) which I think was pal progressive.
    The small pinkish white line was there, and I was assured not a fault, just something about panels in general.

I even witnessed it on an X1 and a Sharp z91 so I refrained from sending back to Panasonic as to be honest, in the context of life and death, I am not that bothered as its not that bad at all.
    It does stand out more on some films than others. I suspect that I notice it more as I actually blacked out the window in the room over the weekend and perhaps I now notice more although I certainly wont loose sleep over it.

It is strange that I never saw this anomoly on any Z1's I had but hey, as Messiah once said 'there is no such thing as the perfect PJ'.

Mind you , what was funny was that before I had the Panny, the Sharp Z91 blew me away and yet, today, I could not get over the screen door. Just goes to show that the smooth screen technology works.

kind regards,

14. Insp.Gadget

Insp.Gadget

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thinking about it I reckon Liverpool has a very good point, I'm sure the only reason I think the black level is poor on my AE300 is because of the numerous posts I read before I bought it saying how the black levels are poor on most LCD projectors. Same applies to the "soft" picture.
    I think I'll stay blissfully ignorant on this one ! :)

15. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    Couldn't agree more. The black levels on my LPX were amazing yet everyone says how LCD is cr*p. Look at thopse shots above, not CRT territory I agree, but pretty damned good all the same and certainly good enough to no way spoil a movie.

Enjoy what you have :)

16. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    Out of interest, wht projector do you have as I am unsure what the LPX is.

As for the ignorance is bliss ethos, too true.

Once you find a fault that someone else has discovered, your heart can sink.

However, one thing that I have learnt is that no two PJs are the same. I mean, my first Z1 had such bad vertical banding that I can recall being sat at my brothers BBQ and looking up at the sky expecting to see vertical bands:laugh:, but in a way I was expecting to see it as its a much discussed problem over at AVS forums.
    However, the replacement had none and was trouble free aside from 9 dead pixels:mad:

Still, my current AE300 is going to be the first projector of many as its an ever evolving technology. As for selling it on, I have already promised to give it to my mate when I get my next one.