1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Panasonic 42PWD4B Plasma is sick.

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Nick Laslett, May 13, 2003.

1. Nick Laslett

Nick Laslett
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I turned on the Panel to watch the Champions League game last Tuesday and something wasn't right. I was getting a lot of solarisation effects.

I checked the Contrast setting and it was set as normal.

I got out my copy of Attack of the Clones and ran the THX Optimiser.

Basically there is something wrong with the contrast control. From +5 through to -14 the contrast goes all funny. Their is a lot of solarisation. On a couple of settings the colour goes off as well.

What is also strange is that it is difficult to see any difference between a contrast setting of -30 or +30. The image on the THX Optimiser looks the same.

I've now turned the contrast down to -15 and everything looks normal. I think I will get Panasonic to look at the panel just in case.

I've had the panel for 18 months, this is the first problem I've had.

UPDATE:

I collected my Plasma from Panasonic yesterday. It has been with them for just over a month. The bureaucracy of their Customer Service system was the cause of most of the delay. Having to wait for 2nd Class letters for the Estimate and then the Invoice added 2 weeks to the process. They actually did the repair and initial assessment quite quickly.

The Plasma was returned to me in the same condition in which I left it with them, no harm had come to the panel.

To repair the Plasma they replaced the Video Card. So in future it might be better to purchase a new Video Card myself, rather than go through the hassle of letting Panasonic do it for me.

They also replaced the capacitors/distributors? that are the cause of the excessive buzzing. I never did this when I first got the panel becuase I thought that was just the way thing were. I now have a quieter panel which is a nice bonus. They also repaired the Y/C S Video delay whilst it was in the workshop.

It is great to have the plasma back. Please feel free to PM me if you want to know more.

2. Nick Laslett

Nick Laslett
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It is taking quite a while to get any response from Panasonic.

I went in the Service Menu and adjusted the default contrast setting. It was set at 3F, I changed the setting to 7F, which seemed to improve things a bit.

I wonder if anyone else would mind just checking what their default contrast setting is in the Service Menu?

3. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Unless you know what you are doing I wouldn't suggest playing about with service menu settings. If the change was sudden as you say, then deducting an inadvertant menu change by yourself would infer a different reason for your troubles and if the contrast problem is across the board for all inputs maybe something more involved. Assuming you have an extended warranty, you may void this by accesssing and changing service menu configurations.
    Perhaps you could ask Gordon on here if he has any ideas, that is if your panel is outside a warranty and he may be able to suggest a part - though Pana should be the fullstop here I'd guess.

4. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    I think my Panansonic 42 "5" series has just started this two days ago!
    Whilst watching SKY i noticed this solerising/posterising effect. Added to this backgrounds seem alive with crawlies.
    Any fades leads to bands eminating from the area that is fading as the brightness dies etc.
    It's like watching badly encoded DVDs.
    The whole picture just seems noisey.

I have tried reconnecting all the leads etc.

I wonder if SKYs transmissions have been lower bit rates whilst they prepare for widescreen broadcast on the movie channels/SKY1 etc?

I have tested some test DVDs (AVIA/VE), and some films that i know very well.
    The quality seems much better, but i still see some noise and slight posterising.
    The slight banding on transients may be down to the Sony Davs 880 decoding.

On AVIAs gradient patterns, there is some evidence of banding (flickers slightly 1mm side to side) that i'm sure wasn't there when i bought the screen.
    One of the plus points of the Panasonics has been zero banding other than if it's in the source.

I will go back to the shop, and try the same test pattern on the screen instore, using their Davs880.

I only hope to god this is not a fault because it's only subtle, and compaired to other plasmas may be deemed normal.
    This is NOT the case as up to now the picture has been near perfect!

5. Nick Laslett

Nick Laslett
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    This sounds exactly like my problem, except it is just as bad with DVDs.

I find I can't even watch the screen now without focusing on the solarisation, pixelations, etc. Fade outs are especially painful.

If I get any response out of my dealer/Panasonic. I'll let you know how I get on.

6. SherrifJWPepper

SherrifJWPepper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Setting the picture to Dynamic causes my PW5 to look like this, especially the whites.

7. gong

gong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    My 5 series died last week. (5 months use!) Turned itself into standbye and wouldn't come on again. Blinking led on front.
    Now back with Panasonic. No loan machines available either (are they that busy at repair centre?) I hope there isn't an inherent weakness in construction with them.

8. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    I don't think there is a problem with them.
    Mainly due to the fact that it's one of the best sellers, and it's rare to hear of any problems etc.
    Having said that, they haven't been out that long so maybe we will start hearing problems as people have had them for 1-2 years etc?
    The only thing worrying me is the fact of how much the extra warranty costs. Insurance companys aren't stupid and if they suspect they are unreliable, then that makes me a little worried.

9. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Well i need my retract my statement that my panel is sick!

I was trying to just live with the picture "twittering" and the slight colour banding on light scenes etc.
    I wanted to make sure it just wasn't me getting picky with the picture.

Since the picture blemishes weren't excessive, i doubted Panasonic would say the faults were out of tolerance.

WELL!!!

I have an admittance to make:blush:

I have now fully sorted all my picture problems...

I am embarrassed to admit the reason for the poor picture :rolleyes:

errr

umm

ok

i will tell you...

I just dusted the screen!:suicide:

I know this should have been done first, but it didn't look dusty at all.

The dust collected wasn't the normal fluffy household dust.
    It was a very very fine grey dust.

I think this was down to the light grey emulsion paint put on the walls a few weeks ago!

I checked my PCs "inlet fan" filter, and sure enough that was caked as well.

So somehow, the fineness of the dust was enough to cause a noisey/polerising effect without making the screen look dirty.

All is now back to as before.................STUNNING:smashin:

10. Nick Laslett

Nick Laslett
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Plasma now back from repair with Panasonic. See update of first thread for more details.