1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Optoma RD50.....

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by marts00, Dec 3, 2004.

1. marts00

marts00

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Spent the last day or so fiddling with my new Optoma..no instructions!
    Did anyone get any?

BigRic; Tried my only R1 disc "As good as it gets".. and yes panning shots stutter.

This is my 1st projection set and on the whole think the picture quality is fantastic!
    However i have noticed a very low level hum present..and understand this is the color wheel or cooling fan...?It might be down to the reverberation through the stand.Guess i'm used to crt.Anyone else notice that?

Anyone got tips on setup?....colour/contrast parameters..etc

Is there any setup disc/device that will optomise picture quality for me with my PAL dvds?

The other thing is how can i take advantage of the HD capability of this set?
    I am currently using a Sony 905 dvd player and QED scart lead.What is there out there regarding hardware/software that i can use?

Tried to upload an image ...don't know if its gonna work.

[​IMG]

2. Chris Gilbert

Chris Gilbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    The manual is available here:
    http://www.themescene.tv/Contents/Support_Page.htm
    I actually got a phone call a day or so after my RD50 was delivered, asking if I wanted a CD/printed copy of the manual. They're awaiting the printers to do proper manuals.

I think the noise is a combination of the fan/colour wheel. I've got used to the low hum, it's quieter then my older dvd player, which was loud enough I could tell which layer it was on by the noise :) I'm going to experiment and try to figure out which side is making the noise, and see if strategic placing of something can quieten it a bit more...

For real HD it's a matter of waiting for next year, when blu-ray or HD-DVD become available. Sky is meant to be doing HD broadcasts in 2006. In the mean time if you've got a PC to hand it should be able to use your RD50, dvi or the vga socket on the front, which will give you gaming at HD resolutions.

One of the options I'm looking at is getting a better DVD player with DVI, currently I'm edging towards the denon 3910, as it can upscale to 720p (yeah I know the set upscales anyway, but it's another toy to play with :)

For calibration, if you've not got digital video essentials (DVE) or avia, the THX optimiser on some dvd's (eg monsters Inc, finding nemo, possibly the starwars films) may help, or it'll certainly help that film look good. (note I'm struggling to get the contrast level setup to my satisfaction using any of the above methods though)

Chris

3. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Chris

Looks like PC viewing could be problematic though. Particularly viewing film-based material at 60 Hz, where 3:2 pulldown is involved.

4. Wij

Wij

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    PC viewing of NTSC material is absolutely no different to playing NTSC material in an DVD,high def movies suffer from exactly the same problem as dvds,judder,really really annoying it is.

I've played around with allsorts of combinations to see if theres anyway at all around the problem using a PC but I'll be buggered if I can find one,the only refresh options open to me are 60 or 72hz neither of these makes a difference,vsync on/off makes no odds,its just the way the TV itself handles NTSC thats the problem,I'm so dissapointed cos I love the picture quality,I just cant live with the judder at all.
    I've emailed the dealer I bought it from to see about returning it (unfortunately) hopefully they will contact me asap about it (though the email question I sent appears to have been "locked" on the support site(hifibitz) whatever that indicates I dont know).

Basically if you own a very small amount or no NTSC material at all and want a HD2+ rptv I cant recommend it enough,it is at least in my opinion the best there is right now PQ wise,but if your mainly NTSC stear well clear at least for now.

Sean

5. 1080 jawbreaker

1080 jawbreaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +601
    the old Hollywood+ decoder card can output NTSC60 as PAL50. Not perfect but hardly noticable. There new x card does the same. With a bit of look the Kiss dp600 standalone will also have the same option.

6. flexje

flexje

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm this is really a dissapointment.
    So you say all those WMVHD trailer movies also play bad
    how can i see if a pc movie is NTSC ? and what % of them are NTSC ?

(i do have almost all my DVD in PAL)

7. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    I don't really understand where you're coming from, surely playing NTSC material via a PC is 100% different to playing via a DVD player, as the whole point of the exercise is to eliminate the (clearly troubled) scaler in the RD50?

However, it does sound that perhaps the set has trouble with 60Hz sources. Has anyone tried to use powerstrip to try to output to the TV @ 50hz with 1:1 pixel mapping?

8. Wij

Wij

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Yes I understand what your saying,but this is the weird thing,I am 1:1 (1280x720) which should be avoiding the built in scaler but it makes no odds,the set still cant handle NTSC material properly.

Yes I have also tried 1280x720@50hz the same problem is there,infact I've tried so many custom settings with powerstrip all of which make no difference to the judder,I dont understand the ins and outs of what causes this problem but hopefully bigric will find out tomorrow I believe I read he intends to phone them again and speak to a tech for a thorough explanation.

Sean

9. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Presumably it is the 60Hz frame rate that is the issue here?, not the resolution

10. Chris Gilbert

Chris Gilbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I'd go with 60Hz being the main problem. Just tried playing gamecube games, at 60Hz I see judder, no judder at 50Hz. I only tried Metroid Prime, but as a first person game it very easy to do big pans by spinning around :) This is with a normal UK gamecube, offical RGB scart cable.

Also borrowed a denon 2910, set it up via DVI, at 720p (completely avoid deinterlacer and scaler), set it to always output PAL, and the judder pretty much disappears for NTSC material, but the picture quality of the NTSC material is poor. Switch back to TV Type auto (so it outputs as NTSC), and the picture quality is great, but the judder is back.

I guess this means that the final output stage is where the problem lies, rather than the deinterlacer/upscaler.

Will chase my dealer on this tomorrow, see if he can get an answer from optoma about this as well.

Chris

11. phetttt

phetttt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    aagh!! i was looking forward to playing metroid prime in all its 60hz glory if i got an optoma next year! seems that home cinema causes nothing but grief!! my new denon 1910 gives me a headache!!

12. Wij

Wij

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    So your saying it should be ok set to 50hz? When I tried it at 50hz using powerstrip it seemed to not make a blind bit of difference to the judder playing back NTSC material.
    I'll try it agian later but I dont expect anything to be different.

Sean

13. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Wij - presumably when you set your PC to 50Hz output, the PC started introducing a 60-50Hz conversion judder rather than the TV doing it!! Some hardware/software does it better, or indeed more or less noticeably than others. Might be settings somewhere, unfortunately I know very little about HCPCs so can't be much help.

14. Wij

Wij

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Cheers Liam,I'm sure there must be some way around it somehow,I just cant find it :)

As painful as it is I'm gonna have to send it back,unless I find a fix shortly. :/

Sean