My options with old sky dish on my wall?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by sutyde, May 16, 2005.

1. sutyde

sutyde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excuse me for my ignorance since I am new with satellite. Anyway we moved to this new house with a satellite dish on the wall but without a regular aerial, and my son is crying to watch doctor who on BBC. My options is either to get receiver, like this (http://www.simplydigital.co.uk/acatalog/Sky_Digital_Receivers.html), to watch freesat, hoping that old dish still works or to subscript Sky. I am wondering how I can check if that old dish still works before I ordering the box. If I have sky to install a new satellite system to my house, shall I have them dismount the old one, or shall I leave it on the wall so that I can have a second system later? I would not mind drilling another hole on my wall.

2. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +713
    You mention the existing dish but don't say say whether it still has an LNB attached + the cable from it into the house.
    Assuming they are all present, I would borrow a receiver from someone to test it if you can.
    I guess you also don't know which satellite it's pointed at. If it's pointed at Astra on 19 degrees east or Hotbird at 13 east, then an analogue receiver / STB can be used with it (as well as to test it). Those 2 sats have both analogue and digital transmissions on them (many free to air but mostly in foreign languages) .
    You can see lists of what's available at www.lyngsat.com

If you do go for a $ky installation, you can still keep the old dish in place and use it with a different receiver, pointing at a different satellite.

Chris Muriel, Manchester, UK.

3. sutyde

sutyde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply. Yes, the LNB and the cable are still attached. I think the dish was from previous owner with subscription from sky, hence it shoud be pointing to whichever satellite sky is using. I will borrow one receiver to test it.

Also , If I sign a contact with sky world package for one year ( comet is giving away free digital camera with this package), could I be able to downgrade to value package within 12 month peroid without paying back the installation fee?