My opinion - Canon FS100 review

daz4590

I returned my FS100 because of the blurring etc. It was so bad!!

shame koolpc, obviously the FS100 wasn't for you. I found though it was only blurry indoors when moving. It can also depend on what codec the film is converted to, when i tried it to avi it was awful.

FooAtari

Standard Member
After a lot of reading I have decided the FS100 maybe the best option for me.

This is my first camcorder. It just needs to be point and shoot. I'm buying it to take on honeymoon. I just want a good quality picutre, I don't really need HD. It's for "memories" more than anything so as long as the image is clear and sharp it will be fine, which after checking the youtube clips it looks pretty good.
The FS100 seems to be a good value camcorder, offering good performance for the money.

A couple of questions though. Does it record in widescreen? And how much of an annoyance have people found the .mod format to be? I use Linux, although do have a Vista box for gaming so I could put the video on their and encode it into another format I guess. Can it be plugged directly into a TV and play video OK?

daz4590

After a lot of reading I have decided the FS100 maybe the best option for me.

This is my first camcorder. It just needs to be point and shoot. I'm buying it to take on honeymoon. I just want a good quality picutre, I don't really need HD. It's for "memories" more than anything so as long as the image is clear and sharp it will be fine, which after checking the youtube clips it looks pretty good.
The FS100 seems to be a good value camcorder, offering good performance for the money.

A couple of questions though. Does it record in widescreen? And how much of an annoyance have people found the .mod format to be? I use Linux, although do have a Vista box for gaming so I could put the video on their and encode it into another format I guess. Can it be plugged directly into a TV and play video OK?

1: Yes it does record in widescreen if you wish
2: The .mod format isn't that hard but you should really test out the files before you need them. It can be a pain if you quickly need to make a video but have never dealt with a .mod file before... I recommend you have a look at my post here which some people have found useful and see how well your vista pc does it with some of my sample .mod files you can download off there. It's not that hard at all once you get used to converting the file. Converting .Mod files to something a bit better » * daz4590 * Unfortunately I don't have a Linux option..

Hope that helps!

FooAtari

Standard Member
Maybe im being really stupid, but are the files still available.

when I try and download all I get is an ad in a new window.

daz4590

Maybe im being really stupid, but are the files still available.

when I try and download all I get is an ad in a new window.

sorry about that, i should try and find a reputable file host...
you can download one of the .mod files here.

i think its the outside one: http://www.daz4590.co.uk/MOV001.MOD

FooAtari

Standard Member
thanks that worked.

Is that the file as it comes straight off the Camera? Looked OK.

How does look on a 32" or TV?

And would you say this is one of the best standard def cams at the same price point?

Thanks

Last edited:

daz4590

thanks that worked.

Is that the file as it comes straight off the Camera? Looked OK.

How does look on a 32" or TV?

And would you say this is one of the best standard def cams at the same price point?

Thanks

Yep those .mod files are straight off the camcorder raw. I've never tried it on a 32" though unfortunately.

Regarding the competition when I was first looking back in August it was either this or panasonic sd9. But the SD9 was HD which I couldn't really adapt too yet. Some other people may be able to help you with together options.

If you're going to be shooting a lot indoors in a dim light the ccd cameras may not be for you.

FooAtari

Standard Member
Yeah the SD9 is on my list of possible purchases.

My main interest in the FS100 and other SD camcorders is the price. Nearly half as much as a good entry level HD camcorder. And also you can obviously can record more video, trying to avoid carrying too many SD cards. Not sure how much HD video can be stored on a 16Gb or 32Gb card, I'll have a look around.

A n d r e w

You can set the menu to display an input level histogram, but there's no level adjustment available from the camera.

Andrew.

0Reilly08

Standard Member
Hello. Thanx for the info on the FS100. You haven't got back to your initial observations about Mac compatibility. You have stated that you are a Mac user and that you use Final Cut Pro. I just bought a FS100 and plan to start using Final Cut, bought I am now considering returning this camera unless somebody can tell me that the necessary software upgrades are available to rectify all these problems that everybody is discussing. I recently uprgraded my G4 Mac Book to Leopard and I couldn't use iMovie 08. Can I capture footage with older versions of iMovie and/or Final Cut Pro?

daz4590

Hello. Thanx for the info on the FS100. You haven't got back to your initial observations about Mac compatibility. You have stated that you are a Mac user and that you use Final Cut Pro. I just bought a FS100 and plan to start using Final Cut, bought I am now considering returning this camera unless somebody can tell me that the necessary software upgrades are available to rectify all these problems that everybody is discussing. I recently uprgraded my G4 Mac Book to Leopard and I couldn't use iMovie 08. Can I capture footage with older versions of iMovie and/or Final Cut Pro?

Hi

I had posted some information on another post but that was a while ago. From what I can tell you are having a problem with the .mod files and making Final Cut read them? It's not that hard at all once you get used to converting the file. Heres my guide at my site: Converting .Mod files to something a bit better » * daz4590 *

As you don't need to capture the footage like a DV cam on iMovie or Final Cut you just drag and drop them in like files off a memory card.

Thanks

F

fivish

The .mob extension has to be changed to .mpg

The file can then be played on almost any player!

Why dont Canon want you to know this?

The latest video from AVForums

LG SP11RA Soundbar Review Coming Soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom