My old TV blow this morning - need advice pls

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Lars1974, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Lars1974

Lars1974
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hi all,

this morning my old 28" CRT ommitted a nice burning smell so i think the time has come to change: i am not currently update to date at all with Plasma / LCD TV's and would require some help.

the TV is mainly used for watching standard Sky (no HD), however as i have bought a PS3 a few weeks ago i would like to get with Full HD (1080) in order to maximize the PS3's potential.

it always annoyed me that my current TV had blurred trail like picture when watching football and player were in Red on the green grass....

as for screen size i think anything from 37 to 42inch would fit well.

so in short i am looking for a tv for a bit of gaming capability too...

Budget 500-800 pounds...

What are the best options?
    Thx Lars

2. hilly10

hilly10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    there are various threads on here The Pannasonic TH 42PZ80B stands out as a good buy and its in your budget you may even get the 46":smashin:

3. choddo2006

choddo2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +542
    Why would players being in red on the green grass be a problem? Are you saying that would affect the picture when they were? If so, sounds like your Sky box might be set to output PAL and not RGB.

The PZ80 is about your best choice but a PX80 would look just about as good for quite a bit less cash. They have new screens coming out soon too. Note; most PS3 games are not 1080p and with bluray, you'd be hard pressed to tell much difference.

4. Boldred25

Boldred25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I'm in the same boat although my old 28" 1998 CRT Panny is still going strong (much to my annoyance as I get 'this one works fine' from the other half, which is probably true...). My sister bought the Panny 42PX80B which has universally great reviews, and although 720p it competes with other full HD tellys. I think it's a bit like digital camera in that the no. of mega pixals is irrelevant if the lens is crap. While only 720P the PX80B does so many things very very well and at under £600 is competitive.

That said, I've noticed over the last week or so (as I've been tracking prices) that the 42PZ80 has been coming down. With the new Panny models due out at the end of the month, the PZ range may see the best reductions as they seem to be higher stocked than the PX range. From what I have read you don't necessarily get +£200 worth of PQ between the PX80 and the PZ80.

There is another thread somewhere where someone took their PS3 into the shop who allowed them to plug it into the telly's to compare. He did conclude that the PZ80 was slightly better when side by side. It is probably whether that difference is worth the £200.

One thing I would say is never trust the feeds into the telly's in the shops. These feeds are often on multiple splitters and one telly may have a poor feed compared to another. ;)

5. Lars1974

Lars1974
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    thanks for your helpful and quick responses...

looks like a Panasonic it will be....
    i might pop into Readings Richersounds to check them out...

also, i dont know regards the PAL vs RGB setting on my Sky+ box. but i do get some trailing on football players running...
    all i know its connected currently via a normal scart lead to the TV as it have only 2x scart out on the back and the TV only has scart in...

i know my Cambridged Audio DVD89 player has got HDMI out... so i guess i can connect via this one than to the TV instead of via Scart...

as you can see from my questions i am not really up to scratch with this.

i might check out the PX80 version too as its about £200 cheaper and i am sure the missus will be happier if i dont blow too much on a TV....

she wanted to use the money to do the bathroom...no i am quiet happy about the old TV blown:thumbsup::oops:

6. Lars1974

Lars1974
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hi guys,

i have just been out at lunchtime to the local PC world, Curry & Costco...

Costco had nothing for me.

PC world have got a Panasonic 42PZ80 for sale at £699 - which i think is reasonable.

the guy in currys also recommended to look at Samsung LCD 40LE656A, which apparently is a good LCD TV...(£799)
    The also at the 42PX80 in stock for £550 but thats not full HD??

What do you guys think i should get?

7. Lin3ar

Lin3ar
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,775
    I would get the 42PX80.It not being FullHD is often regarded as being a good thing, not a negative.
    Your PS3 will look fantastic on it and SD material will look a touch better than it would on a FullHD model.
    Whatever you go for, getting the Samsung LCD would be a mistake in my opinion.

8. hilly10

hilly10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    I would not mention on here you are thinking LCD (as i spit). If you want true colors and a better all round viewing experience go Plasma IMO you understand

9. Lars1974

Lars1974
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    i am sorry about that (LCD) suggestion - i got led astray!!!

but i think it will be only a plasma and i may go and get the 42PX80 later this evening if the boss approves!!!:lesson:

depends on what budget we agree on...as i would also consider the 42PZ80 they have at only £150 more...but i guess the standard 720 will do from what i have found on here...just want to be future proof for the next 5 yrs or so..

10. Lin3ar

Lin3ar
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,775
    Don't worry about 'future proof'.

The only thing in 1080p at the moment, and the foreseeable future, is Blu-Ray.
    BR on a 42PX80 will look fantastic, I bet you wouldn't be able to see much, if any difference, between the PX80 and PZ80.

11. HD Elvis

HD Elvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    What about adding the Toshiba 42rv555d into the mix?;) £800 and bang upto date with features:smashin:

12. Lin3ar

Lin3ar
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,775
    .....and an LCD:nono:

13. rewerb

rewerb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +639
    I agree with all of that, and at £550, it's a steal:thumbsup:

14. HD Elvis

HD Elvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    It depends what you want out of a display. If you want an all rounder i.e SKY, gaming, dvds etc some LCDs are worth looking at. If you want the best possible display for watching films i.e SD dvd's and Blu Ray then theres only one choice IMHO.:smashin: Thats plasma by the way:D

15. Lars1974

Lars1974
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hi guys,

another developement: the missus has found the original receipt and we might still be in warranty by 3 days as we bought it from House of Fraser and had 5 yrs warranty with it.. so i have to call their careplan tomorrow...and see what the offer? as i dont really want it repaired...so even if they offer a bit of cash or vouchers..

otherwise the missus agreed to a Panasonic either a 37 inch or 42 plasma. the 42 mayb be a bit big she thinks...
    we are sittin about 9ft away from the TV - is it too big????

the story goes on...and i cant watch tonight footie!!! do'h!

thx for your help guys, much appreciated!
    Lars

16. Lin3ar

Lin3ar
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,775
    42" from 9 feet certainly isn't too big, it may be too small:eek:

17. Lars1974

Lars1974
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    guys,

i spent nearly the entire morning trying to buy a TV - it proofs rather difficult! i thought in the credit crunch times spending money would be easy but it aint! :mad:

i went to PC World again and they dont have any stock of TH42Pz80 which i decided on...they have one running in their shop which i could get...they could not even tell when exactly i could get one ordered...price was £699 for a new ordered one and a bit less if i want the ex-demo - which i didn't want...not sure i Exdemos are worth it or not?

i finally wen t to JL, who had the TV in stock but £100 dearer..so i have filled out a form for pricematch to get to £699 (incl. 5 yrs warranty)....so far i have heard nothing back and they told me it could take 3-5 days before i hear if they can do it or not...only than i could order one and delivery would be a furhter 4-5 days away...so we are talking 2 weeks without a TV!!!

i thought this should be an easy task!

Any other pointers for good stock levels and speedy delivery...

thx Lars