My old LG TV & integrated digibox has died - help!

F

FalkirkBairn

Hi everyone,

I'm new and in need of help to get sorted before Christmas!!

I've had an old LG TV with an integrated Sky digibox since 2000/2001 and it has worked fine - up until yesterday.

Usually when I switch the TV on there's the black screen followed by a message "Initialising...please wait". After a few seconds, things start chugging along and eventually the Sky Guide demonstration page appears. Then I just have to change channels to what I want to watch. However, now the TV just seems to be cycling at the "Initialising...please wait" step.

Sky helpline thinks that the TV is not linking with the digibox and they can't do anything since it's an integrated system.

I want to take the opportunity to upgrade the TV and I'm not sure how to go about things...

Do I just need to purchase the TV of my choice and then buy a Pace/Thomson Sky Digibox and hook them up? I've read on this and other forums that I'd need to transfer some information from my current digibox setup to the new one and contact Sky to give them the details of the new box, etc but as I can't access any features of my old box then I can't get at the details I think that I need.

Therefore, when I have the new telly and the new digibox should I contact Sky and have then install them?

I think that I have covered everything...I'd really appreciate any help that you can give. I THINK that I know what I need to do, but I would like to be sure.

And if any additional info is required (such as the fact there are two small children in the house who do not know what it's like to not have a TV, and it's coming up to Christmas!) then just ask and I'll try and provide it.

Thanks, Alan

JayCee

Distinguished Member
I've read on this and other forums that I'd need to transfer some information from my current digibox setup to the new one and contact Sky to give them the details of the new box, etc but as I can't access any features of my old box then I can't get at the details I think that I need.
Hi Alan and welcome to the forum.
The only thing you need to do is transfer your viewing card to the new digibox...no info is needed from the old one at all.
Sky will then "Pair" your card to the new box.

F

FalkirkBairn

Thanks for the welcome and the information...it makes it sound so easy!

So, all I need to do is to buy a TV, buy a digibox (recommendations on which box and where to get one from (high street preferably or online as a second option)), link them all together and contact Sky to get eveything set up wrt the viewing card and new box?

I don't need a man to come round and set things up at all?!

56up

Standard Member
I don't need a man to come round and set things up at all?!
At the moment (Until 24th Dec) all the major high street chains are offering a free Sky+ box with all TVs over £169 (Curry's and Comet I know are - others may be offering similar deals). All you have to do is pay an extra £60 for installation and assuming you have a subscription which includes a couple of premium channels (Sky Sports or Sky Movies) for example the Sky+ sub is free. Sky then install the box for you.

Worth doing as the Sky+ box is brilliant.... Well I like it.

The alternative is to go Freeview (if you are in a reception area). An itegrated set will set itself up, much like the way you desribe the LG did

F

FalkirkBairn

Thanks to the people who replied to my plea for help.

Everything was sorted out in the end. We had to bin the LG integrated TV and buy a fresh TV (Panasonic TX-32LXD60) and (basic) Sky digibox. Everything was set up without a hitch - just a case of switching the card over.

Getting used to the LCD screen after a lifetime of CRT.

As I had an integrated box in my previous TV, I'm not used to the independent Sky box and I have an additional question.

Does the illuminated Sky log on the front of the box signify anything such as signal strength? When the set was on earlier it was windy outside and the blue light was flickering slightly and this corresponded to some crackling of the audio on the TV. Picture quality was seemingly unaffected.

Was this probably wind slightly moving the dish (and if it is, would further securing the dish help?) or something to do with the innards of the new box?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom